Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The cruelty-free thread: dupes, discussion and news! (part II)

Re-coping over this thread after the forum change 🙂

This is a thread for discussing news, new releases, and dupe requests related to cruelty-free cosmetics!

Cruelty-free generally refers to companies that do not test on animals, but the definition can be expanded to take on a variety of ethical issues, such as fair trade & ethical labor practices during production or sourcing of materials (such as Mica).  Its difficult (maybe impossible) to be a perfectly ethical consumer, but this thread is meant to support those trying to do more!  Smiley Happy

Helpful resources for information about animal testing in cosmetics & cruelty-free brand lists:

* LogicalHarmony

* LeapingBunny

* CrueltyFreeKitty

* ethicalconsumer(dot)org has a large collection about information related to ethics surrounding material sourcing & production

Partial list of brands sold at Sephora that do not test on animals (source: Logical Harmony):

Feel free to suggest new brands that should be added to this list!

can't forget the floofy bunscan't forget the floofy buns

Re: The cruelty-free thread: dupes, discussion and news! (part II)

Thanks for the list! Lisa Rinna has always been an example to me when it came to fashion

m

Besamé used to be sold at Sephora. They stopped carrying the brand a few years ago. Must be an old list.

Edit: I can tell it’s an old list. The brand Perfekt went out of business a few years ago.

Hi!

Thanks for the list.

I feel like something that is a bit confusing is the definition of cruelty free itself. You mentioned ethical sourcing of mica as being an important criteria for that definition.  However, just because a brand is CF in terms of animal testing,  it doesn't equate to equate to ethical sourcing of ingredients. 

For example, fenty and buxom both use mica. Do we know how they get it? Do they audit their third party suppliers to make sure they're being compliant?

I think this list is great for determining which brands don't animal test. However I think people should be wary of companies still with regards to mica, talc, etc.

Hello!  Can anyone recommend a cruelty free dupe of MAC's Studio Face & Body foundation?  I just want a lightweight light/medium coverage to even out skin tone and something I can just slap on my face with my hands cuz there's no time to blend and bounce away M-F!  🙂 

Thank you!

RE: The cruelty-free thread: dupes, discussion and news! (part II)

@Madeline7 Two of my favorites, Charlotte Tilbury and Huda Beauty, are CF.

Biossance and Youth to the People are both cruelty free.  

Oh no! Kinda disappointed that I thought I was completely up on this info. I did not know Smashbox, TooFaced, Tarte, and Urban Decay had parent companies that were not cruelty free. Very disappointing.

RE: The cruelty-free thread: dupes, discussion and news! (part II)

@Madeline7 Hi! I just hit pan on my beloved MAC Yogurt eyeshadow. I’m looking for a Cruelty Free dupe. IRL, I think it’s closer to the color to the right of Yogurt below (which is MAC Shroom, I believe)...so, a little paler with less red. Definitely want a matte. Please LMK if anyone has suggestions!

have you checked temptalia?

have you checked temptalia?

RE: have you checked temptalia?

No. Thanks @infinitebrevity I’m investigating now.

I finally tried the Coverfirl Vitalist foundation and it’s amazing. I’ve never found such a hydrating, natural looking medium coverage foundation. Shade range sucks, though, and it’s not cruelty free. 

Anyone have dupe suggestions for this foundation?  Thanks 😊

Does anyone know for sure if Sol de Janeiro is or isn't cruelty free? I can't find anything saying one way or the other.

Sol de Janeiro is cruelty free, from what I read!  I'll add it to the list.

@Madeline7 AmorePacific! (from Cruelty-Free Kitty)

if amorepacific is cruelty free and not sold in mainland...

if amorepacific is cruelty free and not sold in mainland China does the same apply to laneige? (owned by amorepacific) because I can't find any current info all Google is giving me is 2015¿ 🤔

Added!

@Madeline7 Hey there! I recently ordered some Ordinary products because they are cruelty free and have great reviews. I noticed this brand isn't on the list. Any way to update it? Thanks! 🙂 

Added!

@Madeline7@trishavtFYI, The Ordinary/Deciem is part-owned by Estee Lauder. EL does not have a majority share, so while they still shouldn't exactly be marked as 'parent company not cruelty free' some people in the CF sphere were not happy with that news. I'm confident in the Deciem founder's statement that this partnership will not impact their formulations or practices, but it is worth just quickly noting this here for anyone looking for more info on that company.

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • can't forget the floofy buns
testing