Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The Experimentation Thread

What products are you currently experimenting with?  It could skincare, makeup or hair.  It could be a tool or a technique.  It could be a foil or full sized product.

This thread is meant to give us a place to chat about things we are using *right now*.  Maybe it's something you just tried once and loved right away, or something you aren't sure about until you use it some more - but you want to post about it while you're experimenting.

August_Roundup-1-homepage-1280x720.jpg

Re: The Experimentation Thread

@ShortErica I'm interested in COSRX Glalactomyces 95 Tone Balancing Essence primarily.  But I'm also interested in COSRX AHA 7 for days when I think I can't do my usual Alpha Skincare 10% AHA and also possibly something with centella.

I haven't tried those ones @greeneyedgirl107 and I'm trying to remember if I've seen anyone on BIC post about them. 🤔

@ShortErica The good news is that I can get them from Ulta, so it's easy to return if they don't work out.  I think I read good reviews on COSRX's AHA and Essence on Beautypedia, so I'm fairly confident I will like them.  I hope BP posts a review about their centella products, too.

Yes, returns are always a nice safety net but I hope you like them when you try them @greeneyedgirl107 

@greeneyedgirl107 

I've been experimenting with new products and perfecting my skincare routine.  I have gotten my nighttime routine down but still struggling with my daytime routine or prepping my oily face for complexion products.

I got the Tatcha Dewy Skin Favorites on the Go and I love the Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist 0.4 oz/ 12 mL and Tatcha The Serum Stick: Treatment & Touch Up Balm 0.28 oz/ 8g on it's own without makeup.  It's great for my night routine.

It seems like it doesn't mix well with my Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 6W2 Nutmeg since it keeps separating.  Still trying to figure out what I need to change.

@RAWRitsRED best of luck to you!  I agree that foundation and oily skin are hard - that's one of the reasons I don't wear foundation to work.

@greeneyedgirl107 

I wish my skin was nice enough to get away with using no foundation!

My first suggestion would be wait time between the application of products @RAWRitsRED. It can make a difference.

I don't know much about the products but remember learning about how certain types of primer mesh better with certain foundations and you have to find the right match - silicone-based primer with silicone-based foundation and water-based primer with water-based foundation. Would there be ingredients that don't work well together in the products? 🤷

@ShortErica 

I've tried waiting 10 minutes and not waiting at all and both times, the foundation would separate the same way.  I thought it could be the sunscreen but I've tried 3 different ones and still no luck.

I know the Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation 6W2 Nutmeg is water based but not sure about the Tatcha Mini Liquid Silk Canvas: Featherweight Protective Primer 0.35 oz/ 10g.

I took the free Tatcha Masterclass and they said to use a water based foundation with the primer...

@RAWRitsRED The Tatcha people should definitely know best about the type of foundation that works with the product. Hmm.. Hopefully someone who uses one or both of the products will have some insight.

@ShortErica 

I'm planning on testing a few other products so hopefully I'll get something that works.  Thanks for your help!

I'm currently experimenting with adding more Vitamin C in my routine.  It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but I can't seem to find the ideal one.  I bought a travel size of Paula's Choice Pore Purifier and I'm really enjoying it.  It has a combination of antioxidants, as well as .5% BHA.  I want to apply it at night, but I'm unsure if it would be best to use it before or after my Retin-A.  When I used it after, I experienced dryness - I was really surprised, because I've been using Retin-A, retinol and BHA for years; I also use AHA.  I am not having any issues since applying it before the Retin-A.  In fact, I think my skin is liking the extra exfoliation.  

And of course that then makes me wonder if I should be applying a higher dose BHA before my Retin-A at night.    It's like you address one question, and another comes up.

95 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • August_Roundup-1-homepage-1280x720.jpg
testing