Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The Experimentation Thread

What products are you currently experimenting with?  It could skincare, makeup or hair.  It could be a tool or a technique.  It could be a foil or full sized product.

This thread is meant to give us a place to chat about things we are using *right now*.  Maybe it's something you just tried once and loved right away, or something you aren't sure about until you use it some more - but you want to post about it while you're experimenting.

August_Roundup-1-homepage-1280x720.jpg

Re: The Experimentation Thread

Thanks, @Titian06.  I really love trying new things so if it doesn't work out as well as I'd like, there will always be something else 🙂

@CookieGirl1  I hope it works for you! 🙂 

Thanks, @WinglessOne! I do and I don't; I really want to love it like everyone else seems to but wish it wasn't so expensive, lol. 💰

I've been trying to buy more 'wellness' items and things I'll actually use and that will be beneficial, rather than just more skincare and makeup and stuff that I have too much of already.  so when there is a good deal or extra cash back, etc. I jump on it.

so I found Pacifica's 'Happy Beauty' Drops on clearance at ulta online.  I'm not sure if they work (maybe I'm too stressed out, lol), but they taste nice and I like the bottle, sturdy glass-like.

and I finally got Pacifica's Deodorant Wipes, which I've been wanting to try.  sadly they were out of the coconut ones, which I was most interested in, so I got the rose and coconut pineapple.  only tried the rose so far but theyre nice, and so convenient.  I have the YUNI shower wipes, which I love, but theyre individially packaged, and since theyre big and I just use a lil bit, I feel like its more wasteful if I'm in a hurry and forget to close it up, or do and then they get dried out anyway.  So I'm glad that these are reclosable, so convenient AND cheaper.  These things are a lifesaver for us lazy, sweaty hippies or anxiety types. LOL.

I also got NATURALLY G4U super greens detox powder, and some charcoal toothpaste which I havent tried yet lol. 😅

I had Ulta's $5 off $10 coupon burning a hole in my pocket, so I picked up some mini claw clips and Tree Hut Sugarlips Lip Scrub in Brown Sugar.  I've used the lip scrub twice and had two totally different experiences.  The first was perfect - excellent, easy exfoliation.  The second time was painful - the sugar pieces were large and kinda jagged.  Curious if anyone else has experienced poor results from a drugstore lip scrub.  It's a good thing I own a nice Bite lip scrub.

@greeneyedgirl107  The cheapest sugar lip scrub I've used is ColourPop Lippie Scrub, and I've never had a painful experience with it. Sorry the Tree Hut scrub was abusive. 😞 Good thing you've got a reliable backup. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for weighing in!  If Ulta ever has the ColourPop, I'll be sure to get it 🙂

@greeneyedgirl107  the only lip scrub I've tried was a bite sample. kept rubbing and rubbing and didnt seem to do anything.  I just use a hot washcloth, works better I think AND make my lips nice and rosy. 😚

@treestar86 I should give that a try!

@greeneyedgirl107  you should!! 🙂  have you tried Glow Recipe Lip Pop Duo ? apparently it's supposed to be a scrub/balm...I was thinking about getting it during the sale, but passed cuz of the mixed reviews and it was a little pricier than the other balms I was looking at. 

@treestar86 I haven't tried the Glow Recipe.  It wasn't really on my radar.  It's tempting, but I think I'm just gonna stick with cheap-o lip scrubs for now.  The Bite one I have IS good.  Just for some reason I wanted to try something different and the Tree Hut really caught my eye.  I use their shave oil under my shave gel, and I do really enjoy it.

@treestar86 i received the glow recipe lip pop in a gratis and really liked it. I used a fair amount and it's not too gritty. I say try it.

@sprocketta  oh really? thanks, I just might! 🙂

Quick update and a few new things (eh, one newish thing) I'm trying: 

SOBEL SKIN Rx 4.5% Retinol Night Treatment and post-moisturizer application - in August, I switched to this from The INKEY List Retinol Fine Lines and Wrinkles Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and stuck with my usual every-other-night retinol usage. I was applying it after cleanser and exfoliant, and before any other serums. In late August or early September, I had a bad reaction to a new-to-me oil cleanser that left my skin super irritated, so I temporarily stopped vitamin C serum and all exfoliants—but I didn't want to stop retinol. So I started applying the Sobel Skin retinol after moisturizer. That seemed to cause a round of purging which I was kinda happy about ("yeah, evict all that crud!"). My moisturizer buffered the retinol enough to prevent further irritation, while also letting it work well enough to spark a purge. My dermatologist will be thrilled to know I'll keep using retinoids this way—apply after moisturizer—from now on, since he originally suggested I do that last year. 

This month I bumped Sobel Skin retinol usage up to nightly. I did get a few new dry patches as a result but, being familiar with retinol, I rode them out and now they're gone. Last night I noticed how much blotchier my skin's become, and that's a good thing! My large patches of hyperpigmentation are giving way to my true skin tone. I recently decided to recruit a couple more ingredients to help retinol win this battle. 

The INKEY List Tranexamic Acid Hyperpigmentation Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL - I just started using this 2 nights ago, and I used it "wrong." 😄 TIL says it should replace my moisturizer, but the only occlusive in this stuff is squalane, so... I applied this tranexamic acid treatment, then applied moisturizer over it, and then topped everything with retinol. I had no skin irritation afterward. I'll keep using it this month and try it as a PM moisturizer. 

The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL - I'm trying this all October as a potential winter weather moisturizer. (Temps are nowhere near typical winter yet, but I'm testing it now anyway.) I've been using it only at night so far, but will try it during the day at some point. Its occlusive is shea butter. I wasn't sure this would be any better on my skin than other shea butter moisturizers, but my face likes it so far. And okay, I also kinda wanted it for the airless vacuum pump jar 😄 which had better be reusable. Anyway, for PM purposes, my skin likes this moisturizer almost as much as my usual YTTP Superfood Moisturizer. 

Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster - this is not new to me. I tried it... last year, I think? I got a FS tube as GWP on a Paula's Choice order. I tried it a couple times and my skin threw a tantrum. When I told my derm about my reaction, he said my skin was partly in purge mode thanks to this stuff and any redness might've happened because I used it alongside a separate BHA exfoliant. (This PC azelaic acid booster also contains a bit of salicylic acid.) He suggested I give this booster another chance, on nights I don't use BHA or AHA, and see if I get the angry red reaction again. He also suggested I try a different product that contains no BHA. I whined a lot about it and stubbornly refused to use this stuff again. Late last month I finally gave in. And hey, no new irritation! It's actually working quite well alongside retinol. I'm going to try The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL soon because it's BHA-free. But for now, the PC booster is slowly treating my PIH (and attacking acne-causing bacteria) while retinol, tranexamic acid, niacinamide, and AHA tackle my larger areas of hyperpigmentation. 

So gosh, I owe azelaic acid a huge apology. I've been saying my skin hates it. I was wrong. I'm giving my dermatologist lots of told-you-so opportunities this autumn. 🤣

Ooo let me know if the pump is reusable on The INKEY List Peptide Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL @WinglessOne. I've been tempted to try but have a few moisturizers on deck I need to use before buying more for back ups 😂

@WinglessOne That's a lot of experimenting!  Looks like it's paying off, though.  Good for you!  🙂

I've been searching for a new essence, since my fave was discontinued.  I tried e.l.f. Soothing and Hydrating Water Essence.  It's taken a little bit to get the amount right, but I'm finding I do like it.  I do feel like my skin has felt more soothed - I looked for that immediate feeling of "ahhh" when I apply an essence.  I found that it works really well in conjunction with Youth To The People Adaptogen Soothe + Hydrate Activated Mist with Peptides 4 oz/ 118 mL .  I was surprised to find that the YTTP worked so well, as I didn't have high hopes for the mist.  Now, I've been using it three times a day.  My skin tone is more light and even - and I feel my skin is more than glow-y.  Almost sparkly.  

I foresee the YTTP becoming a staple.  Still, I think the secret for me is using the YTTP and the e.l.f. together.  While I think the YTTP is great, it wasn't the standalone "essence" I was looking for.  But that's OK!

I also experimented with COSRX Galactomyces 95 Toner Essence, but discarded it quickly enough.  I didn't feel like it did anything.  I wonder if the limited ingredient list was the reason.  I also didn't care for the texture.  It was too silky for my taste, and I keep having to reassure myself that it didn't have silicones in it.  Tagging @WinglessOne b/c you asked me to let you know my thoughts 🙂  And another THANK YOU for posting about the e.l.f. and the YTTP, b/c I got those ideas from you!

I had also tried Awake Glow Pill, as I had hoped it would be more of an essence and less of a serum.  The texture was serum-like, so it didn't meet my needs.  If I didn't already have a nice serum, this might have been worth exploring.

For now, I'm pretty happy with my discoveries.  If I were to look at other essence options, though, I would consider Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner or Good Molecules Daily Brightening Serum.  (I know, the GM would probably feel too much like a serum for my needs!)

@greeneyedgirl107  Bummer about the COSRX Galactomyces Toner Essence. Had it worked out, it might've been a good sub for the far more expensive SK-II essence. But I'm so glad both the e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence and YTTP Adaptogen Mist are working well for you! 🙂 

I've been using Paula's Choice Omega+ Complex Serum under my eyes for about a month now.  I was hoping that the fatty acids in it would make that area more supple.  I was pleasantly surprised that it has.  I liked it so much that I've also started using it on my upper orbital area, and eyelids.  I bought the travel size, and use so little that I probably won't buy the FS for a while, but it's definitely become a staple.  I'm not totally where I want my under eye area to be, but I think I've lost perspective since my skin has been a little off with mask wearing.  

Tagging @WinglessOne about this product, since you expressed an interest in it.  I haven't tried it on my whole face yet, since like I mentioned my skin has been off.  The description of the product that this is a lotion-like serum is spot-on.  I prefer my serums to be more gel-like.  It's fine for my eye area, but I don't see myself using this all over my face.  Due to the lotion-like texture, I've been applying this after my face oil instead of before.

I meant to redeem the $20 off $100 just once but somehow ended up redeeming it 3 times in stores...  When I got home, I realized I forgot to buy my moisturizer so I'll have to buy that, too.

The new stuff I'll be experimenting with is the Hourglass Vanish™ Airbrush Concealer Cotton 2, SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Concealer Brush #57, MILK MAKEUP Mini Hydro Grip Hydrating Makeup Primer with Hyaluronic Acid + Niacinamide .33 / 10 mL, Fresh Kombucha Antioxidant Facial Treatment Essence 5 oz/ 150 mL, and Laura Mercier Flawless Lumière Radiance-Perfecting Foundation 1W1 Ivory.

Shout out to the cashier at the Santana Row, CA location for being super patient with me and all the stuff I was purchasing!  

@greeneyedgirl107

I'm in love with the Hourglass Vanish™ Airbrush Concealer Cotton 2!  It's a nice full coverage concealer and has a dewy finish.  I was going to buy the Hourglass Vanish™ Seamless Finish Concealer Brush but it was flatter and bigger than it looked online so I went with the SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Concealer Brush #57 and it's super soft and fluffy, which is great.

I'm still testing out the other 3 products and will be experimenting with different primers, sunscreens and foundation combinations.  The Laura Mercier Flawless Lumière Radiance-Perfecting Foundation 1W1 Ivory feels nice and smooth but it does oxidize a bit on my oily skin.

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • August_Roundup-1-homepage-1280x720.jpg
testing