Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Deeper Shades
|

The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

*new group located here: Deeper Shades

Have a deeper hue and want to know how a product might look on your skin tone?  This is the place for you!

Image result for shades of brown

Several ladies expressed interest in having a BIC group dedicated to WOC.  Such a group would serve as a central reference point for swatches, color matching and the like, which can often be difficult to find.  While I have no idea whether such a group will ever be created I figured it would be nice to at least have a thread.

It should go without saying, but  **Ladies (and gents) of all hues are more than welcome **

💋💋💋

If any of you use Benefit Cosmetics, that have gift sets. The one that caught my attention was the BENEFIT COSMETICS - BANG! Beauty Blowout Set with a travel size primer and Hoola bronzer. I can't use the bronzer for anything other than blush (Benefit should hurry with the darker shades already) but it comes with a full size Benefit Cosmetics BADgal BANG! Volumizing Mascara Intense Pitch Black – 0.30 oz/ 8.5 g. The gift set is $15 total. A full size BGB is $25 alone. *Clicking the set renders a "no longer available" message. Search it and it's available. 

Thanks for the heads up @HazelEyedQueen

Thanks for the heads up @HazelEyedQueen

Re: Thanks for the heads up @HazelEyedQueen

No problem. I like saving money. I figure others do as well.

Any favorite Pat McGrath lippie suggestions? Lip balm, lip gloss or Satin finishes.

I ended up getting Aphrodisiac and a Black Up lipstick 04...

I ended up getting Aphrodisiac and a Black Up lipstick 04. Both pass as nude tones. The lipgloss is like a pinky nude. The Black Up is more sheer with flecks of shimmer. The Pat McGrath lipgoss has a vanilla scent. I want lipsticks though. I'll buy one after the holidays.

RE: I ended up getting Aphrodisiac and a Black Up lipstick 04...

@IndyQT317 aphrodisiac is my fave lipgloss from pat. I think all the black up is on clearance

@IndyQT317, I purchased a few from the Pat McGrath site....

@IndyQT317, I purchased a few from the Pat McGrath site. I think the 25% off sale is still going on. In the Luxetrance lipstick section there are a few colors on sale for $26 minus 25% = $19.50. Free shipping 🙂

Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

@IndyQT317 I second the Luxe Trance. They are so nice to wear, almost like a satin matte but not drying and some of those colors are so unique and just the perfect shade.  The shades She's Heaven and Realness are some of my favorite lipsticks of all time. I've got a few on my list for when I'm not so broke!

@IndyQT317 I have several MatteTrances, some LuxeTrances, a few Lip Fetish balms, and one Lust gloss. Do you need shade recommendations, or favorite finishes? (Or both?) As far as finish, I’d rank LuxeTrance as my favorite, followed by Lip Fetish, MatteTrance, and Lust—but Lip Fetish and MatteTrance are nearly tied. 

Spoiler

Lust gloss: The shade I have is Paraphernalia. It’s beautiful, quite shiny, and shimmery (there’s fine glitter in it) iridescent purple/blue. It’s barely sticky—a bit less tacky than Fenty’s Gloss Bombs, but slightly tackier than Lancôme’s L’Absolu Lacquers. I haven’t given it a full (all day) wear test yet. I wore it for about an hour last week and found that it frequently pools and settles into my lip lines. I can rub my lips together to easily redistribute the color, but I have to do that often. Hmm. 

LuxeTrance cream: I just (10 minutes ago) ordered more of these because they’re marked down at Pat’s site, and I completely love the ones I already have. My favorite shades are McGrath Muse (one of my favorite warm reds) and Wrecked. The LuxeTrances have a cream finish that’s really not shiny. They’re very comfy on me: not drying at all or heavy feeling. I’ve yet to have one bleed/feather on me, and they last about as long as you’d expect a satin or cream finish bullet to last. I love ‘em. I’m bummed I wasn’t fast enough to order Paradise Garage (the orange shade) direct from PMG, but I did order 3 or 4 others. (Hi, I’m a lipstick junkie and Pat wants all my money. 😄

Lip Fetish balm: I have 3 shades. Wild Cherry and Flesh 3 are buildable from sheer to mid-opaque. Depending on your natural lip color, some of these balms might even look full opaque after 2 or 3 coats. Wild Cherry looks opaque on me after 2 coats, but I can never build Love Supreme up to opaque; best I can get there is semi-full coverage, and I’m okay with that. The balms are VERY comfy, as you’d expect. You’ll need to reapply them throughout the day as you eat and drink things (they’re balms, after all), but I still think they’re fantastic. 

MatteTrance: I have more shades than I meant to acquire. You didn’t mention matte finishes but I’ll say these are some d*mn comfy mattes. Elson, Antidote, Deep Void, and Flesh 3 are my favorite shades so far. Deep Void settles into lip lines a bit, so it’s the only one I sometimes wear atop a lip primer (to help fill in my lines). None of the MatteTrances have bled/feathered on me. They’re not as emollient-comfy as the Lip Fetish balms, but they don’t dry my lips out. They do transfer to cups, water bottles, forks, etc., but they’re bullets, not liquid mattes, so I don’t expect them to be transfer-proof. 

Oh, and I also ordered a couple of the gel lip liners. Do I really need more lip liners? No... but I wanna try wearing these on their own all day, to see if they really are waterproof. 

Normally I’d post some swatch photos for you, but it’s 3:45 AM and I’m about to go wash my face (tested a new-to-me mascara tonight, among other things) and try to sleep. I can swatch some lipsticks for you later, if you’d like. 

Thsnk you @WinglessOne! This was an awesome review! You k...

Thsnk you @WinglessOne! This was an awesome review! You know your Pat McGrath. Lipstick junkie with the 411!! I love it. I own one matte from Pat McGrath, Fever Dream. You're right about the comfort of the mattes. They are nice to wear and not drying at all. The formula is awesome. I was interested in satin finishes, but became overwhelmed. It's hard to choose one and even two lippies. The lip balm shades are beautiful too. I will check out your shade suggestions and make my order. I missed the sale on her website. However, I did take advantage of Black Up cosmetics being 50% off for Black Friday.

Re: Thsnk you @WinglessOne! This was an awesome review! You k...

@IndyQT317 Glad I could help! ☺️ I think all the LuxeTrances are still on sale at her site, so you’re still in luck there. And good choice on the Black Up sale! I love their cream lipsticks (the ones without glitter). Hope you enjoy all your new goodies! 

Opinion (or pics wearing it) on Hourgalss Ambient Lighting Edit Unlocked palette please !!

It was an impulse purchase but before I open it, I want to make sure it will look good on darker skin (medium/medium tan)

HOURGLASS - Ambient Lighting Edit Unlocked Palette

Hey @naturalooks15. I initially liked those blushes, but...

Hey @naturalooks15. I initially liked those blushes, but when swatched they were okay. It wasn't enough for me to consider purchasing.

Does anyone have swatches of PAT MCGRATH LABS LUST: Mini MatteTrance Trio Please? 

And also Bobbi Brown crushed lip color in Bare. I feel like this might be similar to 1995 in one of the sets above but not sure. 

Thanks bunches @WinglessOne This was really helpful. Looks like only wearable color from the skinshow trio for me might be Flesh3, rest two are just too light. 

Thanks @IttyxBittyxMe They looked beautiful online everywhere so I bought the trios during the sale (got lucky that they were in stock).  I don't wear much make-up so I with all the raves about these sets, I was thinking I can keep these and return the Bobbi Brown 'Bare' crushed lipstick which is a perfect nude for me.

This is the reason I am too wary of buying lipsticks online, they look totally different on me in person. I am trying to decide if I should keep it or gift these trios. The bright red one I bought as gift anyways because I don't think I'd ever wear those bright colors though they look very beautiful. 

RE: Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

I’m still in bed so I apologize for the owl pillow in the background. 😂 But going left to right there’s Omi, Flesh 3, then 1995.

Re: RE: Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

Thanks. Omi & 1995 look too mauve-y. I was hoping one more brownish. Are they this light mauve on lips too??

Re: RE: Re: The Deeper Hues Thread (Swatches, Color Matching, etc.)

C923973D-24B2-4B66-A210-C9085AA56C03.jpeg

I just put them on to find out! They are lighter then I thought! Which makes me a little sad as i JUST ordered some pinks from Pat. 

Hi @naturalooks15! Which PMG MatteTrance mini trio do you need swatches of?

I don’t have the Skin Show trio (that’s the one with 1995), but I do have a full sized Flesh 3 (also in that trio). 

I have full sizes of all 3 shades in the Blitz trio, if you want to see those. 🙂 I’ll swatch them later for you, so I can show you how they look in sunlight as well as interior lighting. 

@WinglessOne Looking for swatches for both trios so the 4 that you have would be great !! Thanks so much. 

2 Replies
testing