Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

I’m a huge Suqqu (and several other Japanese beauty brands) fan. I’m not sure how many other enthusiasts we have on BIC but I thought it’d be nice to have a dedicated space.

Suqqu is primarily sold in the Asian market but a small portion of their inventory seems to make it to the UK as well.

Current release (SS19)

SUMMER 2019 GLOBAL - LADYISH NEON: 

Spoiler

SUMMER 2019 UK:

Spoiler

514627E5-D29E-4069-A88A-B9C957BEE335.png199BDBD9-C176-4EDE-9B3A-23EAB647F033.png81CCD0DE-7D10-4BEC-A5E3-0DDE9409FA7C.png

Swatches of permanent range items:

Spoiler
Designing Color Eyes 1-
8A06053E-B539-4F8B-BD59-DB2FB5DB919E.jpeg

Designing Color Eyes 1-9Designing Color Eyes 1-9

Pure Color Blush 1-958BFDE9A-E33E-441D-AD52-5D9C8FD11ECF.jpeg

3DFB44CA-0C19-4C69-872B-C86860914AEA.jpeg

Gel Eyeliner Pencil 2-5 / Eyeliner Creamy 1-4
F286284B-E57F-4AB4-9580-2D757BADC7EF.jpeg

I mostly decided to maintain this thread because I know how incredibly challenging it's been for me to find information and swatches of upcoming releases without speaking the language. I'm sure there are probably others out there who have this issue too, so hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone.

Please feel free to ask questions and share any upcoming news you might find.

Re: RE: THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

@Mochapj, thank you for posting swatches and for your observations on the liquid blushes. I've been looking at posts and they look pretty though quite sheer. The eyeshadow quad 124 looks better than I was expecting! It's my choice of the two. I like the liquid eyeshadow shades as well, and might order one to try.

@TraceyEB  I was quite flabbergasted when I opened the box and saw how small it was.

The NARS is too large IMO given how pigmented it is (it takes about half a drop of NARS for me to do both cheeks, which means it would last forever).

Given the more diminutive size of the Suqqu, I would've expected a lower price tag, especially for how much you'd need to use to achieve a similar effect. That said, I did try it out this morning and it does give a lovely watercolour look to the skin.

Wow, @Mochapj! I want to avoid being flabbergasted and completely agree with you about the size of the Nars liquid blushes. I'd rather smaller sizes so I can sample across the line. I'm holding on the Suqqu liquid blush for now for the reasons you've raised. (I was eyeing 02, the raspberry pink shade that's not LE.)

RE: THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

More swatches of spring

Thanks for posting these swatches - so much to choose from! Am liking the cream shadow shades and the quads. Curious about the liquid blush and eyeliners. Have you had any experience with this part of Suqqu's line, ?

@TraceyEB The liquid blush is a completely new formula for Suqqu. However, based on how it appears in all the swatch photos I’ve seen, it does seem quite similar to the nars liquid blushes texturally and in finish. I’m still trying to decide if I want to pick any of them up because the shade range also looks like it overlaps with the nars.

as to the liners, if they have done this formula before, it was before I got into the brand. I have worked with their potted gel liners (great), gel pencils (good) and calligraphy pen liners (hit or miss). 

Swatches of DCE124 for SS19

I picked up the new UK exclusive brush set and wanted to post some thoughts because I haven’t seen much posted about them. All of these new brushes are made of dyed goat hair, which makes them a lot more textured and durable than the squirrel hair brushes Suqqu was previously known for. That also means these can be used with both cream and powder products, though.

full setfull set

Face Designing Brush compared to a fanFace Designing Brush compared to a fan

I don't have anything truly comparable to the Face Designing Brush, which is why it's shown with a hand fan. The brush is said to be for bronzing, contouring and foundation application. I don't really do any of those 3 things but it seems both too small for bronzing and too large for contouring, IMO, as it is a smaller brush but a very thick wedge shape. I tried it with foundation twice just to see how that would work and I found it left a pretty streaky application. The firmness of the hairs is excellent for whisking away glitter fallout, though.

new cheek compared to old cheeknew cheek compared to old cheek

Shape wise, the new cheek is very similar to the old cheek. It's only a little larger and wider, but not by much. I assume this exists because the brand has been dabbling in cream and gelee blushes this year, and is about to get into liquid blushes next year. It works nicely with the gelee although I still prefer a duofibre brush for their cream blushes.

blending compared to Chikuhodo Z11blending compared to Chikuhodo Z11 

The blending brush is most similar in shape and size to the Chikuhodo Z11. However, the hair difference makes the Suqqu a lot firmer and less floppy than the Z11. It's also a bit more rounded in the tip. This is a decent blender and because it's firm and well bound, it doesn't diffuse colour too high into the crease.

new smudger compared to old S, rereleased S, Mnew smudger compared to old S, rereleased S, M

The smudger brush is similar in shape and size to the rereleased S brush. I find it is more rounded than my old S, which has more of a pointed bullet shape. The size, density and firmness of this brush has left me at a loss for how to use it. I use the squirrel version for my tear duct or lashline, but the coarser hair picks up much more product than I want for either of those areas. 

angled shader compared to brow brush and TF12angled shader compared to brow brush and TF12

The angled shader is very similar to TF12 in shape and size. It's also softer than the TF but is more densely packed and doesn't have as much flexibility within the bristles. Without that flexibility, I find this brush is better for stamping on a v shape than drawing one on.

Also below are some closeups on the brush heads for comparative purposes.

The brushes are all well made, but I'm left a little underwhelmed by this set and the shapes they've added. The hair is softer than I expected based on how it looks, but I think that at Suqqu's price point and the quality that they've come to be known for, a softer undyed hair would've made more sense.

Another big thanks for this post! There is so little information out there about these new brushes, I hadn't even realised they were goat until I received them and compared with the original ones I have. Selfridges should really update their descriptions! They're nice brushes but they also leave me a little bit "meh"... Will see how it develops.

Hello @Mochapj@!Thank you so much for this review!I'd like your opinion on how similar is face design brush to Tom Ford bronzer brush05? Desperately looking for dupes, as it is synthetic now(. Thank you

@AlicefromWL unfortunately I don't have the TF bronzer anymore so I can't provide a side by side comparison, however, I can say that the Suqqu is much smaller and more of a pinched wedge shape and the TF was a lot fluffier and flared outward at the head of the brush. In terms of size, the TF is easily 2-3x the size of the Suqqu brush.

Also, IMO the TF had a better quality of hair than the Suqqu.

@Mochapj I see, thank you((

Thank you so much for doing this post. I decided to purchase these individually. I purchased the Suqqu blush brush and smudging brush. I actually love them both. The Blush Brush is my favorite and love that it is not as floppy as the original squirrel hair cheek brush for certain blushes and for more precise placement. This is more important for us ladies who are now of a "certain age".  I may get a second Blush Brush I can also see this used for setting light powder under the eye area.   The smudging brush is soft for goat hair and use for blending out the under eye shadow and inner corner placement.  I have ordered the blender and have not decided on the Face Designing Brush. The pictures you posted are excellent and exactly what I wanted to see. The pics gave me an idea of the size and shape of the head of the brushes and most likely will be purchasing this in the future. I see use for this in placing some bronzer and contour/blend on the jaw line. I agree with the other comment very thorough and informative post.

Really appreciate the thorough review and comparisons for these new Suqqu brushes. I'm a little disappointed overall but especially the Face Designing Brush as I was hoping it would be as versatile as described.

@Mochapj thank you for the detailed review and plentiful photos. I appreciate your background info on the reasons behind the change in using goat hair vs. squirrel. I think you also mentioned that about Surratt (something about the way his products work in tandem with the brushes due to the formulas). Loved reading this!

Re: THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

More swatches of spring collection 2D7B0330-AFD5-411C-A686-CFB1A8C49E88.png

DAF757A6-6E9D-4660-95C4-843B824AE362.png

Glow Touch EyesGlow Touch Eyes

Swatches of the liquid blushes

Suqqu 2019 Spring Colour Collection 'Yu's Line' launches January 18, 2019, with pre-sale starting January 11, 2019.

More swatches of upcoming DCE 12 for SS19

Suqqu brush collection launches Nov 29 both individual brushes and LE set. Details and pricing below.

Swatches of the SS19 collection

Conversation Stats
Photos221
  • Designing Color Eyes 1-9
  • 3DFB44CA-0C19-4C69-872B-C86860914AEA.jpeg
  • F286284B-E57F-4AB4-9580-2D757BADC7EF.jpeg
  • 03952BB4-288C-4E6B-A9AA-2D989BEC5A60.jpeg
  • 光輝月 - Koukizuki (liquid shadow 02)
  • 銀空 - Ginzora (liquid shadow 01)
  • 夕茜 - Yuuakane (quad 10)
  • 澄透花 - Choutouka (lip 108)