Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

I’m a huge Suqqu (and several other Japanese beauty brands) fan. I’m not sure how many other enthusiasts we have on BIC but I thought it’d be nice to have a dedicated space.

Suqqu is primarily sold in the Asian market but a small portion of their inventory seems to make it to the UK as well.

Current release (SS19)

SUMMER 2019 GLOBAL - LADYISH NEON: 

Spoiler

SUMMER 2019 UK:

Spoiler

514627E5-D29E-4069-A88A-B9C957BEE335.png199BDBD9-C176-4EDE-9B3A-23EAB647F033.png81CCD0DE-7D10-4BEC-A5E3-0DDE9409FA7C.png

Swatches of permanent range items:

Spoiler
Designing Color Eyes 1-
8A06053E-B539-4F8B-BD59-DB2FB5DB919E.jpeg

Designing Color Eyes 1-9Designing Color Eyes 1-9

Pure Color Blush 1-958BFDE9A-E33E-441D-AD52-5D9C8FD11ECF.jpeg

3DFB44CA-0C19-4C69-872B-C86860914AEA.jpeg

Gel Eyeliner Pencil 2-5 / Eyeliner Creamy 1-4
F286284B-E57F-4AB4-9580-2D757BADC7EF.jpeg

I mostly decided to maintain this thread because I know how incredibly challenging it's been for me to find information and swatches of upcoming releases without speaking the language. I'm sure there are probably others out there who have this issue too, so hopefully this thread will be helpful to someone.

Please feel free to ask questions and share any upcoming news you might find.

Re: THE SUQQU THREAD | NEWS & DISCUSSION

@Mochapj thanks for the thread - I love Suqqu! 

I don't have any of their eyeshadows unfortunately, but love their treatment primer and their extra rich cream foundation (moisturizing, without being oily!). Their eyelash curler is the best I've ever tried too.

Too bad is hard to get in the US 😞

@Cyncynn I agree! Their eyelash curler is tied with the Surratt one for me as the best curler I’ve ever tried. I have really large, wide eyes and it’s often hard for me to find ones that aren’t super curved to accommodate them.

about a year ago I’d heard rumours that Suqqu was about to enter the Canadian market but it has not yet come to pass. I’m hopeful that could still change, and hopefully the US market with it.

@Mochapj Good to know about the Surrat curler! I don't have big eyes, but I have a lot of unruly lashes that don't fit properly in regular curlers.

Canada would already make my life a lot easier 🙂

And falling in ❤️ with Surratt’s brushes is how I stumbled upon Suqqu, so yay, @Mochapj@Cyncynn! Am pretty excited about this thread😊

@eshoe  Funny you mention it,  I found suqqu through hakuhodo brushes lol

I was just researching their brushes the other day, @Mochapj! I didn't make it any further than that, so I am subbing to this thread to find out more about the brand. Thanks for starting this:)

@eshoe I own a fair number of their brushes so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask 😊

Thank you, I will, @Mochapj. I am still learning, and fascinated by how Japanese handmade brushes are crafted. I appreciate the care taken to make something so beautiful.

Figured I'd share some of the promo photos of my wishlist items, so other people can see the aesthetic:光輝月 - Koukizuki (liquid shadow 02)光輝月 - Koukizuki (liquid shadow 02)

銀空 - Ginzora (liquid shadow 01)銀空 - Ginzora (liquid shadow 01)

夕茜 - Yuuakane (quad 10)夕茜 - Yuuakane (quad 10)

澄透花 - Choutouka (lip 108)澄透花 - Choutouka (lip 108)

I love Suqqu and wish there was a US distributor for it.  I messaged Beautylish since they have good customer service and carry other brands like Makeup Atelier.  I got a thank your for your feedback reply.  I only use their eye/lip/cheek products because their foundations are expensive and I don't want to get stuck with the wrong color.  I also love their brushes.

The eye quad is really beautiful. Do you know if the mini brush is natural? I am just curious as I recently found an old Shiseido duo and I am pretty sure the mini brush included is natural, which is pretty amazing I think. Wondering if anyone else does that anymore, as it must cost more than synthetic.

@eshoe Some of the older quads I have (in their previous formula, Blend Color Eyes) definitely came with natural hair brushes.

to be honest I depot the newer Designing Color Eyes palettes when I get them so I’m actually not sure what kind of brushes the new palettes have but I’ll dig one of my compacts up and let you know.

Thank you, @Mochapj🙂 curious why you depot. I didn’t even know about that practice until a few months ago, and I am just wondering if people do it with bulky products, or to customize a palette, or for organization. 

@eshoe Mostly for convenience’s sake, in my case.

i have all my Suqqu in old MUFE empty palettes and I find it easier to come up with a makeup look at a glance when they’re all in front of me.

the old eyeshadow formulation (blend colour eyes) used to have a very typical format for the quads (1 white shadow to use as a base, followed by 3 colours that make up an intended look) and since I always kind of considered the white an unnecessary inclusion, having everything depotted made it easier to combine multiple palettes in unexpected ways. I started depotting when I used to buy the old formula but I’ve just continued out of habit with the new one.

many Japanese brands are easier to depot and have little pinholes in the back to pop pans out. So it doesn’t require knives or heat or methods that could otherwise damage a palette. Sometimes I do hesitate if it’s particularly nice LE packaging, but for the most part the newer line doesn’t indulge in special packaging as much as the old one did. At most they change the colour of the outer palette (to white or bronze, from the signature gloss black)

@Mochapj I have never heard about this Japanese brand but their products seem quite interesting!

@keana1 they're one of my absolute favourite makeup brands. I truly wish they were easier to acquire and available in North America so that more people could see how great they are.

Personally I think their Pure Color Blush is the best thing they make, but I really like the way they've managed to create a brand aesthetic that is colourful without being gaudy.

I'm also just a huge fan of one of the MUA who they regularly collaborate with for their UK releases. 

@Mochapj I agree their Pure Color Blush is beautiful!

Happy to see this thread! I read enough Japanese to be following the autumn launch, so I'm super into the theme... athough I haven't decided what to do about importing yet. Thanks @Mochapj

@fieldsofclover it's been in the back of my mind to create a few Japanese beauty threads for at least a few years but I honestly didn't think there were enough enthusiasts on BIC to bother, LOL.

That's probably still true, but at least the few of us who are here will have some place to aggregate information and swatches 😄

Let me know what (if anything) you end up picking up from AW18. I grabbed the 2 blushes and LE quad but am still debating whether I want either of the permanent ones, cuz they both look quite similar. I'm happy with the LE quad; it's really gorgeous and unusual, but less ecstatic with the blushes. They seem to be made of a gelee rather than the usual Pure Color formula and don't have as beautiful a pigment as I'm used to from the brand.

I've been thinking I'll get one or two of the liquid shadows... Koukizuki (光輝月, the gold one) for sure, and maybe one other. I like the new LE lipstick too, the pink one, but I'll only buy it if it's a semi-sheer, otherwise it will be too light on me.

I really like one of the new eye palettes (10, with the dark blue) and I could see myself using it to death, but since it's permanent I'm not in a huge rush. But if I'm going to go to the trouble of getting it from Selfridge's I'll probably get that and a blush too. I'm not sure yet whether I can get locally. @Mochapj

Swatches of current LE items:

Pure Color Blush 108, 109, Designing Color Eyes 12003952BB4-288C-4E6B-A9AA-2D989BEC5A60.jpeg

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos221
  • Designing Color Eyes 1-9
  • 3DFB44CA-0C19-4C69-872B-C86860914AEA.jpeg
  • F286284B-E57F-4AB4-9580-2D757BADC7EF.jpeg
  • 03952BB4-288C-4E6B-A9AA-2D989BEC5A60.jpeg
  • 光輝月 - Koukizuki (liquid shadow 02)
  • 銀空 - Ginzora (liquid shadow 01)
  • 夕茜 - Yuuakane (quad 10)
  • 澄透花 - Choutouka (lip 108)
  • 8A06053E-B539-4F8B-BD59-DB2FB5DB919E.jpeg