Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Starting to get reeeaaal tired of your filters...

Hey Makeup minimalists, I was wondering: what is your secret to your best complexion on a minimal makeup day? I spend some time on the complexion club group page but I'd say at least 70% of the "looks" people post are heavily filtered/face tuned... and I'm getting really sick of it... 

Lately I've been enjoying a more laid-back, minimal makeup routine, but I'm curious to hear what your favorite tricks are for natural, great skin in a hurry

People go on and on about "unattainable/unrealistic beauty standards" and yet these are the same people that only post pictures of themselves on social media, dating sites, etc, when they're filtered to the point where they don't look a thing like themselves. How is that healthy? I thought that the Sephora groups would be a great place to share the results of our makeup adventures without the filters and the photoshop. If you're heavily filtered, what's even the point? Why would I take a foundation recommendation from you when you've blurred your complexion with a filter to the point where it looks ridiculous and obviously fake? I figure I might get put on blast for this post, but I've been ready to burst holding this in. 

Re: Starting to get reeeaaal tired of your filters...

Here's my 20-min routine:

Start the day with a toner (right now using belif Aqua Bomb Hydrating Toner with Hyaluronic Acid 6.75 oz/ 200 mL) and some eye gels (Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Hydra-Gel Eye Patches 30 pairs/ 60 patches). Sometimes I put a sheet mask over that for extra relaxation.

After I removed the masks, I mix a face lotion (right now Tatcha The Dewy Skin Cream Plumping & Hydrating Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL) blended with a few drops of COOLA Sun Silk Face Sunscreen Drops with SPF 30 and Hyaluronic Acid 1 oz / 30 mL

I take concealer or Tatcha The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatment Softlightfor my under-eye if needed. I don't usually need/use foundation or concealer. 

Makeup: I blend Bobbi Brown Bronzer on my high points, and then use the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Pink Quarts to sub for blush and eye shadow. I finish with mascara (I use Origins Ginzing or LOreal Lash Paradise). For lips, I just swipe on some Bag Balm or BOBBI BROWN - Crushed Lip Color - Bare.

Including the 5-10 minutes for the eye gels/sheet mask, this takes 20 minutes; without the masking, it's less than 10.

Oooo, I'm really interested in that sunscreen, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing your routine and favorite products 😁👍

Some people might use filters because they have low esteem or don't like the way they look naturally. Personally, I think it's fine for people to use filters to help them have a better sense of self. We can all pretty much tell if someone is using a filter, so it's not a secret 😉

That's pretty twisted, always trying to put out a standard of beauty that isn't possible to achieve. That alone will destroy your self esteem. That aside, filters have no place in a post where you're trying to recommend products. Why will I take your foundation review seriously or take a recommendation for you when you blur and transform your face & complexion with a filter. Thanks but no thanks. 

@CaptainLakie I tend to stick to the 'conversations' section of BIC so I don't notice the filters on here very often.  I do belong to a local Facebook page that is beauty oriented though and the filters are real there!  I find a lot of the people on that page will talk about a product and say how much they love it but then the accompanying photo is clearly filtered, like is that your mascara, is it your foundation?  I doubt it.  I know what a filter can do for me, so don't talk about your foundation when you've got all the filters.  

Now I'm not anti filter, you do you.  I 'filter' in real life with lasers and just started with filler.  I'm not mad that they're being used, if you don't get a second date, it's a you problem, not a me one.  BUT... if you're promoting or reviewing a product then I'm annoyed.  I've thought about asking once or twice for a filter free photo, but quickly realized that I'm better off staying off Facebook and just coming to BIC for real reviews.

That all said, I'm minimalist (for a beauty lover that is) with my make up.  I like a colour corrector under my eyes (my problem area), a sheer foundation or BB Cream, concealer under the eyes, blusher, and some light powder, followed by a single shadow, maybe two if I'm feeling fancy, mascara, brow gel and a lip gloss or tinted lip balm.  

I 100% agree with you

@CaptainLakieI don’t post looks with any filters because I want people to see how the products really look on my skin.  I say to have good complexion starts with great skincare. This will allow minimal makeup day makeup to look it’s best.  I didn’t have a lot of time in my morning when I had to go in the office in the beginning of the year and being a Mom of 4 year old and newborn so my makeup day which takes 20 minutes would look like below.  This look is my go to that is fast and doesn’t take that much thought since I use tinted moisturizer, concealer, setting powder, eyebrow pencil, blush, highlight, bronzer, some eyeshadow and liner and lipgloss  2773DC8A-57BC-41EA-BD7B-D26991EC5E50.jpeg

You look gorgeous! 😍 I appreciate that you don't use filters, because a.) you're beautiful and don't need them, and b.) it's so nice to be able to actually see the products. Every beauty YouTuber has those glaring beauty lights that wash out the appearance of pores and texture, so it can be frustrating when trying to find products that you'd actually like to use. 

I totally agree that a good skincare routine is key in natural, light makeup. My personal favorite for a natural/no foundation day is the CLINIQUE - Moisture Surge 72-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator 👌 it makes my skin so glowy and smooth. Any good moisturizer and some mascara goes a long way. 

Thank you for sharing your tips and your photo! I was really scared I was going to get mouthed off for my post, but it's really nice to see that other women agree. 

I read an article that talked about how plastic surgeons always had clients bring in photos of celebrities and that is what they based a lot of their work on. Now, they say that more people than ever are seeking plastic surgery, and bringing photos of themselves with either snapchat filters or face tune. More often than not surgeons can't deliver the results these women want. Many women are using dating apps and only post filtered photos of themselves, then wonder why they never get a second date.That's sad to me, and I hope we can break away from this unhealthy new habit. We don't have to hide behind filters, because there's nothing wrong with the way we look naturally. 💕

RE: Starting to get reeeaaal tired of your filters...

Minimalist makeup should take 5-10 minutes and starts with making your skin a perfect canvas, which in turn starts with a healthy diet and commitment to skincare. Drink water! A breakfast rich in fiber, and tons of fruits/veggies throughout the day. Avoid or consume in moderation inflammatory foods containing dairy, sugars, and alcohol. Drink water! Establish a skincare routine with cleansing products as gentle as youcan, and masks and serums targeted for your specific needs. Drink water! With well cared for skin, all you’ll need on a daily basis as far as makeup goes should be: SPF moisturizer, blurring primer IF you have large pores and only on problem areas, light coverage concealer under eyes (if needed), creamy bronzer, creamy blush, radiant finish liquid highlighter. No eyeshadows: you can apply your creamy blush or creamy bronzer softly below your brow bones to add dimension to your eyes, and your liquid highlighter on eyelids closer to eye lashes to avoid creasing. That’s right, I didn’t include foundation on this list ( a light coverage tinted moisturizer is optional if you want). You canapply a LITTLE setting powder under your eyes and corner of your nose ifyou are prone to creasing or oil on these areas. Curl your lashes, applymascara ( I find brown mascaras more natural looking than black). Finish it all with a lip balm, and setting mist for the most minimalistic,beautifying and natural makeup look.... and drink water! Yes, the makeup process I described takes me 10 minutes or less.

This also bothers me. When reviewing products, I also tend to look at the selfies people post that are wearing the product to see if I can find how the color looks on other people, but it's impossible to tell what it really looks like when it's behind a filter. So many people are so freaking pretty as it is, and don't need to hind behind a filter! 

Most recent example is trying to find what color of the Becca Glow Lip Gloss I want to order, but every picture is someone who is filtered, and I can't tell what the color even looks like! 

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm happy I'm not the only one that's fed up with this. You are so correct, too- so many people (everyone, actually) are already so pretty as it is, a filter is just so off-putting. 

Best of luck finding your lipgloss shade 👌 xx

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 25 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
  • 2773DC8A-57BC-41EA-BD7B-D26991EC5E50.jpeg
testing