Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Senior makeup

I'm 62, a disabled vet, nothing fancy but y'all all look amazing and while I don't expect that much improvement, I'd love some basic suggestions...

Re: Senior makeup

My mother is 73 and still wears a full face of makeup. She is very beautiful and has gorgeous skin hardly any wrinkles. You wouldn't even know she was that old if it wasn't for her hair going grey. The suggestions of eyebrows above is good advice. I would recommend a neutral shade lipstick and brown mascara not black. 

I'm older than you (by about 10 years) and would agree with the others that less makeup is better. If your skin tone is really uneven, just try a light BB cream or lightly tinted moisturizer, otherwise just let it be. Heavy foundation on older skin just looks wrong! A very light blush, light lipstick or gloss, a bit of brow gel and a light coating of mascara are all you ever want. Drugstore makeup is just fine, especially as you experiment - you certainly don't need to buy the high end expensive stuff (although it is lovely if money is no object).

And yes to skin care! There are some inexpensive vitamin C options, and I think it really does make a difference to discolouration, although you have to use it for a couple of months before seeing any real change. Even if you haven't worn it before, wear an SPF every day. I use a moisturizer with SPF on a daily basis, and then add a dedicated one if I am going to be outside for any length of time. 

Start slowly, go into a drug store and ask what some of the good inexpensive products are, don't get caught up in the hype of expensive stuff, and enjoy.

if you want a good basic look I personally like curling my lashes adding a little mascara some blush and a really light lipstick. I like to highlight my natural features and just enhance them a little. Personally I highly recommend Revlon's curler that isn't flat across instead it has a little curve that fit's the natural eye shape. I have long lashes but they go out more than they do up and I find curling them makes a big difference. I didn't use to use blush but I "rediscovered" it a couple of years ago and what a difference it makes I look so dull and sickly without it and I find it adds a nice pop of color. if your lips are pink or rosy you can skip the lipstick and just add a tinted lip balm. Since you are older a nice brow product can really brighten your face and make you look years younger.

RE: Senior makeup

So I helped my mother-in-law out when she was wanting to “try a little harder.” One really easy thing for her to do, that really made her feel instantly prettier and better about herself was using a brow gel. As we age, our brows tend to thin, and go gray, so they can start to “disappear” especially on the tail ends. Gimme Brow from Benefit, in shade 1, if you’re mostly gray, or look at the others and get a shade lighter than you think will be a match. The little brush is easy to use. You swipe it through your brow hairs, and it will lightly tint the hairs, and since it’s waxy, hold them on place. You will look more put-together and awake in an instant! Good luck!

One error that  a lot of older woman make is to wear too much/too heavy foundation. I've found that I can get away with just a good pore reducing primer over my skincare stuff, followed by a light dusting of translucent powder to keep everything set.

The primer you choose would be based on your own personal needs. If you have a very uneven complexion, a CC or BB cream would be a good choice. Add a concealer if you need it. I sometimes do a concealer routine if I need to be camera-ready or dolled up, but skip it day to day.

Lipgloss, eye pencil, neutral eyeshadow is usually it for color, unless I feel like mascara.

RE: Senior makeup

Welcome! For minimal makeup, I would personally recommend trying to play-up a feature that you really like. For example, if you really like your eyes, start with a quick eyelash-curl and coat of mascara (brown instead of black if you want a no-makeup-look.) I certainly agree with the other comments that focus on skincare; the more time I put into skincare, the less time I put into makeup. My personal skincare staples are sunscreen, tretinoin/retinol, moisturizer, and lip balm. Lastly, have fun with makeup! It’s supposed to be fun and empowering, not a chore. Good luck!

I wouldnt be without my Chanel CC Cream, Chanel loose powder and DIOR - BACKSTAGE Rosy Glow Blush. All quite subtle but make an incredible difference and make me feel so much more put-together. My skin tone looks evened-out and healthy. I also use the DIOR - Dior Lip Glow and Lancome powder pencil on my eyebrows. I am in my early fifties and all these products work beautifully on mature skin. Easy to apply and understated but certainly make me look a whole lot better!! Id say the key is probably skincare though and for that Ive come to love DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream and CAUDALIE - Beauty Elixir. Have fun finding what works for you!! 🙂

for skincare, adding a quality Vitamin C oil to your daily skincare routine will work wonders. it helps diminish dark spots over time (from my occasional acne scars) and gives more evenness to my skin tone. Feel free to research it on various sites & read reviews before committing to a product. They're not cheap but a 1 oz bottle will last longer than you might expect. 

my go-to basics: 
eyebrows: MILK-Kush Fiber Brow Gel because my eyebrows have always been thin and are nearly gone and non-existent after the arch point. Great for a natural look and it's one of the few brow gels that don't smear for long wear, and also leave a very natural look.

eyelashes: My long-time (for almost the last 8 or so years) favorite mascara is Dior's Diorshow Iconic Overcurl mascara in Chestnut brown. I don't like to fuss w/ eyeliner much, but this mascara gives lift and curl to my very short Asian eyelashes without giving the look of falsies. It just looks naturally lush. 

lips: i'm a chapstick / lip balm kind of girl. I usually don't wear lipstick so if I'm looking for any color, I just a tinted balm or tinted chapstick of some kind that hydrates my lips 

9 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing