Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Resisting Temptation

I am trying to keep myself from splurging on Pat McGrath palettes. I will get them, eventually. Just not now. I have been going through pics of looks I did in the past to remind me of makeup that is being neglected. How do you resist temptation? What do you do to remain strong against your greatest makeup weakness?

Re: Resisting Temptation

Palettes are my weakness too @mintkandi, and I have been wanting a PMG one for a while, but this year I am on a palette no buy. I am actually trying to pan 3 palettes this year. The Low Buy thread is AMAZING with helping to resist those makeup buying temptations, and it helped me keep on my no buy.

I also like to test new-to-me products. Before I buy something to test at home, I try to test it in a store (play with it on my hand or arm) first. That’s impossible for online-only products, but I can often find testers of things at a local Sephora, Ulta, Nordstrom, standalone stores like MAC, etc. (One of the benefits of living in a big city.) 

My biggest makeup weakness by far is lipstick. I’ve been decluttering my lipstick hoard since last summer, and of course I haven’t stopped adding new items because c’mon now, that’d be silly! 🤣 I’m trying to restrict myself to no more than 160 bullets and even fewer glosses and liquid mattes. Liquid mattes aren’t as big a problem because most on the market are too drying for me. Glosses are a problem only because of one specific brand’s gloss line (Lancôme, why are your L’Absolu Lacquers so good omg I own too many shades). But bullets, now that’s where the urge is very real. It’s so hard to curb my lipstick junkie habit.

I try to buy lipstick shades I don’t already have (which is hard because, well, I have a wide rainbow of shades), but I mostly focus on performance. If a lipstick doesn’t perform well, I don’t keep it, no matter how much I love the color. That’s helped a bit. 

If you haven’t yet, check out the No-Buy/Low-Buy thread! You might find some helpful tips in there, plus a good support group for your makeup addiction. 🙂 https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/2019-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILI...

@mintkandi I have a hard time resisting because I love to try new products out.

I think it helps knowing that Sephora will have a sale soon and you can get those PMG palettes at a discount. Stay strong. 

Ask yourself if you really need it or if you have a dupe for it. 

@SportyGirl125, I'm hanging on! Hurry up VIB sale! **scre...

@SportyGirl125, I'm hanging on! Hurry up VIB sale! **screams into space while shaking my fist** 😫😖😂😂😂😂👊🏾
4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos3
testing