Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

Packaging we dont like

Name products that you like but really dont like the packaging.

One of mine is the bottle of the original exfoliant from Tatcha. 

I will probably add a bit of water to liquify the product a bit to get all of it before buying a new one. Its good, but still pricey enough and so i do not use it very often to make it last long. 

A product ive been curious about but still didnt get mainly because of the packaging is the Charlotte Tilbury bronzer. 

I just hate how big it is. I wish it was in a compact similar to the Airbrush Flawless filter powder.

Re: Packaging we dont like

I love bareMinerals BarePRO liquid foundation. But the bottles are terrible. They get messy and icky really quickly. And the outside cover of the twisty part of the pump (I'm not sure how else to describe it) always starts sliding off long before very long. I've also had a lot of issues with the bareMinerals Prime Time BB Tinted Primer bottle. I've had three bottles of it. And each time product just stopped coming out with the pump when the bottle was still half full. After that I had to scoop it out. Which was really annoying. 

bareMinerals BarePRO™ Performance Wear Liquid Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Warm Natural 12  bareMinerals Prime Time™ BB Tinted Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Light 

Im obsessed with the Anastasia dewy foundation but hate the bottle it comes in! It always gets very messy and usually breaks or leaks

Let me start by saying I LOVE hoola bronzer—it’s my go to everyday BUT I absolutely hate the box packaging. It takes up so much room in my makeup bag when I have to travel, etc. I hate it so much that I’m now on the hunt for a new bronzer with a less bulky package. It’s most likely going to be NARS Laguna.  Has anyone ever successfully depotted Hoola? If so, please share your experience? 

PAT McGRATH LABS Sublime Perfection Hydrating Primer plastic bottle sucks.

It has a nice gold sticker on it but it starts peeling off after a month.  You have to keep pressing the pump multiple times for the product to come out.

I thought I was completely out of the primer but I was curious and I popped the pump off and realized that the primer is in a plastic bag and I actually had at least 3 weeks worth of primer left it there.

To make matters worse, the primer was super expensive and the quality is terrible.  You're better off spending on a cheaper primer that works well.

@RAWRitsRED I keep hearing this same complaint about the PMG primer.  I was on the fence with purchasing the primer and decided to pass on it because I already have primers that really work for my skin.  After hearing the complaints, I'm not sure that I'd purchase because I don't struggling with products I have to use.   I did purchase the foundation, concealer, and under eye powder and I'm very pleased with the results of those.  

@tjffc

I loved the foundation and concealer as well!  The primer was just a surprising disappointment since PMG is usually great.

Kosas  AHA serum deodorant, don’t get me wrong, it’s SUPER cute, I just can never tell if I’m putting enough product on!!!

@Emy10  I'll start with skincare and maybe come back later with makeup and haircare. 

Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 m... - contains l-ascorbic acid + other antioxidants, all of which are sensitive to light and air—yet this product comes in a traditional clear glass jar. Each time I open a new jar, I decant the moisturizer to a reusable opaque airless vacuum pump jar (in near total darkness, as quickly as possible). I appreciate that YTTP’s trying to use earth-friendly packaging, but their clear glass packaging is bad for the antioxidants in their products. Since my skin adores the Superfood moisturizer, I keep buying and decanting it, grumbling the whole time. 

Anything in a glass dropper bottle - for me, that's these products: 
Spoiler
The Ordinary "Buffet" 1 oz/ 30 mL 
It’s Skin Power 10 LI Effector - bonus aggravation for the angled glass dropper 😡 
COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum 
Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster 
Herbivore Emerald CBD + Adaptogens Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL 
Flora + Bast Age Adapting CBD Serum 
e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil 
...and I could list more, but I'll stop there. 
I always worry about breaking the dropper, and I have to fiddle around to dispense the correct amount needed. I have some reusable airless vacuum pump bottles that I decant some of these products into. These bottles always dispense the exact amount necessary for my skin in a single pump, and there’s no glass involved. 

Paula’s Choice Hydralight Cleanser - the flip-top of this bottle annoys the heck outta me and honestly, I prefer my cleansers in pump bottles. So I always decant this one into a reusable large semi-opaque pump bottle. 

The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL - contains oil that leaks out of the tube (where the cap screws onto the tube), if I keep the tube stored cap-down. It doesn't leak as badly as some other oil cleansers I've used in pump bottles, and I'm not sure what kind of packaging would work better for this cleansing balm—so I kinda feel bad about listing it here. I just try to keep it stored cap-up to prevent leakage. 

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!™ Deep Conditioning Hair Mask 8 oz/ 237 mL - one reason I buy the jumbo size instead of this one is the pump. I haaaate that smaller sizes (aside from the mini tube) come in a jar. Do not like scooping out conditioner in the shower. 

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum - once the product is low enough in the bottle, it's impossible to pump out. It's also very difficult to scoop product out with the pump straw thingy, so I end up fishing it out bit by bit with cotton swabs. I wish DDG would sell this product in an airless vacuum pump bottle instead. 

@Emy10 @Mine is Supergoop! Glow Stick Sunscreen SPF 50 0.7 oz/ 20 g it’s so hard to get out and push back down. It needs to be a twist up. 

OMG ... YES @SportyGirly125!!! I absolutely love the Glow Stick, but that push pop thing they have going on with it makes using it the worst experience ever! It definitely needs to be a twist up, and I can't believe Supergoop has still not changed the packaging!!!

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing