Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Over 40!!

Hey there!! I’m in my early forties and have started noticing a change in my skin texture where all of the concealers, foundations, contouring, etc, isn’t working. It ages me and sinks into my fine lines starting to appear. I’ve fallen in love with serums and dedicate my skin to a regime that works. As for make up, any hints on accentuating eyes and lips? Any serums for lashes and eyebrows? Thanks a bunch and hopefully someone is going through the same thing I am!! 😉

Over 40!!

I'm 46 and feeling pretty guilty about all those women who had to draw in their eyebrows and I thought they were tacky. Now I know menopause is the devil and how lucky we are to have so many more brow options. I've tried a few of the many brow products for sale, and for what it's worth, I find the Benefit Gimme Brow gel the easiest to use to make brows a bit fuller and to cover white hairs. I tried pencils, but I lack the artistry, patience, and steady hand they require. I also have the Anastasia of Beverly Hills brow gel, and while the formula is maybe just as good as the Benefit, the larger brush makes it more tricky to apply the proper amount as well as stick to the proper shape. Benefit has a teeny tiny brush that makes it pretty danged foolproof to follow your existing shape. A lot of people combine pencils and gels, depending on how much color and fill in they need. I'm lucky that I haven't lost much of my lashes, and I like to use colorful shadow sticks like the Lancome Hypnose Stylos (sp?) to line my top lid and bring color and emphasis. I've officially given up trying to make powder shadows work on my saggy lids except as an all over color. I never did have a crease, genetics gave me a sag. I'm excited to see more liquid shadows coming back as they are easy to use as well, though so far they're pretty glittery which isn't always great for older skin as it can emphasize lines and crepiness. Shimmer is safer than glitter, if you know what I mean. To thicken brows and lashes, the serums Sephora sells are really overpriced in my opinion, and the standard home treatment recommendation passed down for generations is black castor oil. It's cheap, time tested, and easy to use with either a cotton swab or plain mascara wands sold by beauty supply shops and wholesalers. I've heard both good and bad things about Latisse, and the serum I've heard recommended most often is actually a very cheap one by the company Etude House which you can find on sites like Amazon and eBay. Also, for what it's worth, evening primrose oil supplements have really helped me with the skin dryness and hair loss of perimenopause. I straight up can't take any hormones because I've had blood clots, but many women credit hormone replacement creams with giving them back their youthful hair and skin. That's something you should talk to your doctor about, though. If it helps you at all, please know that once I learned how to handle the changes, I have felt more genuinely beautiful in my forties than I ever did when I was younger (which is sad, because I looked GOOD!). I don't just have more inner beauty and wisdom and confidence and all that stuff, but those things have made me take better care of myself and present myself with better taste and real loveliness than young me ever had. I know myself and my beauty better than ever, and I know how to make the best of it. You will, too, before you know it. ❤️

RE: Over 40!!

I’m well into my 40’s and love Buxom lip glosses over Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Lip Treatment. Also have a Skin Medica Lip Plump System, but it’s pricy for the amount of product so I go back and forth between the 2. Have also been using Shisedo Full Lash Serum on my lashes and brows for almost a year and have seen great results! Previously had a few “bald” sections on my brows that are completely gone now!

Re: Over 40!!

HI @shell2017  - I'm almost in my 40s so I completely know what you are going through. It's great that you already have a set skin care regime down as that's one of the most important things. As for makeup tricks & hints, I abide by the following -

1.) Always apply a moisturizing face primer before applying foundation - I like Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Face Primer 1.35 oz/ 40 mL

2.) Use a curling or lash defining mascara - One of my favorite is the Covergirl Professional Super Thick Lash Mascara

3.) Try liquid eyeshadow tints - I recommend trying Armani Beauty Eye Tint Long-Lasting Liquid Eyeshadow 12 Gold Ashes

4.) Don't over do it on the shimmer

5.) And for a lash serum, Amazon has some great options - Pronexa Lavish Lash Eyelash And Brow Serum

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing