Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

Nothing Blends!

Last time, I had on problem-which @ibblej  and @heartsmyface  answered. (Thanks again guys!) But now I have a new one. My makeup won't blend! I think my skin's the problem. If I could get some tips, that'd be great. In the meantime, I'll just have to not use any makeup! Please help!!

Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 11.15.50 AM.pngHELP!! I HAVE CAKEY MAKEUP!!!!!

Re: Nothing Blends!

Hi @Josi2Cool!

Skincare and prep are the most important step so make sure you're using the correct products for your skin type to get the perfect base to work on.

You can check out the Virtual Masterclass Thread for free classes or find them on the Eventbrite website.

The Sephora IGTV tutorials are great for beginners.  They have many videos that teach how to master certain techniques.

Thanks so much @RAWRitsRED ! You're all so helpful! I'll definetly check out those classes!

BTW, thank you both for helping me! I am following you both.

BTW, thank you both, @heartsmyface and @SportyGirly125  for helping me! I am following you both, and be sure to expect me to always like your posts! You're both so helpful, and I can't thank you enough!

@Josi2Cool   This problem needs a little more information before we can give you a definite answer.  
Is your skin dry or oily? 
what all are you using for skincare?  
how long do you wait between your skincare and makeup routine? 
which foundation are you using and how much are you applying?  

this could be as simple as adding a light moisturizer before your makeup if you’re not so there are no dry patches for makeup to grab onto OR waiting a little longer between your skincare and makeup for your skincare to absorb OR it could be an issue with mixing water and oil based products OR you may be using a product best suited for a different skin type OR simply applying too thick a layer of makeup or too many layers.  As a general rule, the more mobile an area of your face is (Along smile lines or under the eyes) the thinner you want to apply your makeup so it has less opportunity to travel and cake.  

i can’t be certain but it looks as though your makeup has grabbed onto a particularly dry patch as it looks quite nice on your upper face.   If that’s the case a gentle exfoliant and some hyaluronic acid serum before your makeup will do wonders.   

@heartsmyface , my skin is normal, but definetly not oily. For skincare, I'm using Cetaphil Facial Cleanser, and Cetaphil Face/body Lotion. I put them on overnight, and do my makeup at around 8:30 am. The foundation I use is Maybelline New York Super Stay Full Coverage, and I add about a dime-sized portion to each cheek, which is what i've heard you should do. Thanks for responding to my cry for help! You always help me! Thanks!

@Josi2Cool So I think the problem is your skin is dry because you put your skincare on the night before and it doesn’t have enough moisture/hydration the next day when you apply your makeup. This could be making texture and dryness appear more when foundation is applied on top and making it look cakey.  Try applying your skincare before your makeup application and wait about 20 minutes for it to soak in the skin and then apply your primer and foundation with a wedge sponge.  Use bouncing and not swiping motions. If you notice your foundation looking a little cakey you can spray your sponge with some hydrating spray to sheer it out more.  Another tip is to add a couple drops of beauty oil to the foundation to sheer it out. I know full coverage foundation is on the thicker side so it can look heavier. 

Okay, thank you @SportyGirly125 ! I'll definetly try that! (BTW, love your name!)

@Josi2Cool aww thank you!

@Josi2Cool   Okay that’s  very helpful.  You most certainly need to be applying skincare before your makeup.  It may not feel especially dry or oily but skin can be naturally unevenly hydrated and you want to be creating an evenly hydrated canvas so you makeup doesn’t grab drier areas.  The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL Glow Recipe Plum Plump™ Hyaluronic Acid Hydrating Serum 1.0 oz/ 30 mL 

Also, a makeup primer will help even out your makeup further.  I’m trying to think of a good primer in the same price range as your current products.... Etude House Face Blur is very good.  

@Josi2Cool  I’m going to suggest an exfoliant for at night as well.  The First Aid Beauty exfoliating pads are pretty gentle.  They’ll help sloth off dead skin cells and make your skin feel smoother.  Like @SportyGirly125 said, great makeup starts with great skincare;). First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads 60 Pads 

a lot of people cut them in half to make them last longer 😉 

Thank you so much @heartsmyface ! You're like my makeup doctor/prescriber! I am definetly your biggest fan! Thanks again! (Don't worry, I'll have plenty of other questions to ask that need answers!)😉

@Josi2Cool   Ha thank you, that’s very sweet of you!  Hang around here long enough and you’ll find yourself prescribing solutions to others as well;)  It’s all learning and sharing around here:) 

@heartsmyface , thanks so much! Maybe one day, I'll even be as good as you! (haha, jk) As I said, I'm a noob when it comes to makeup, because I just started with it. Maybe one day, I'll actually be able to hold a brush right!😁 Thanks again! (BTW, I'll never be as good as you😉)

@Josi2Cool @Great makeup starts with great skincare. Have you changed anything in your skincare or makeup routine?

@SportyGirly125  No, I haven't. I just started buying makeup, but none of it works.

@Josi2Cool @Is the makeup that you bought suited for your skin type? What are you using to blend the makeup with?

@SportyGirly125 I'm using a Wedge Sponge

@Josi2Cool   A wedge sponge is good.  You’re using bouncing motions to apply the makeup?  If so everything is fine there.  
A more long term tool is a beauty blender.   It’s a washable and reusable sponge that has the perfect bounce factor and water absorbency.  There are plenty of similarly shaped sponges out there but I haven’t found one that quite compares.  investing in a beauty blender is an effective way to step up your makeup game.  Not completely necessary but it can be very helpful.  

Thanks @heartsmyface ! You really are a BOSS!  Do you really think that'll work?

Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 37 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos1
  • Screenshot 2020-09-18 at 11.15.50 AM.png
testing