Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
Anonymous Insider

New to makeup world, suggestions?!

I’ve only ever worn mascara and I’ve decided to try out makeup because it just looks so fun. I’ve been told to start with eyes and brows and I thought that was a good idea. I need some recommendations!! I like the browns, oranges, tans, color like that for shadows. (Blue eyes if that matters) I was looking at Morphe and Colourpop for eyeshadow. As they’re reasonably priced since I’m just starting. Elf brushes. And still have no clue for brows, I dont even know if I should get powder or pencil lol.

Re: New to makeup world, suggestions?!

When I began filling in my eyebrows I used a powder and a brush to apply it and I still think that's the easiest way. You can build color gradually and it tends to look more natural. Now I often combine a powderAnastasia Beverly Hills Ombre Effect Long Wearing Brow Powder Duo Medium Brownwith a pencil Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz® Ultra-Slim Precision Brow Pencil Taupebut I still find the pomades and the Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Gel Chocolatemessy and difficult to work with especially for a more natural looking brow. Since it's your first time trying some of this stuff out you could try to go when the store is less busy and ask one of the makeup artists to help you find some flattering things to try. Sephora has their own line which isn't the highest quality makeup but they have TONS of variety and it's a good place to start. So is Clinique and tarte, though tarte is a bit more expensive.

Have fun!

For brows, Benefit Cosmetics makes some good options @haaaaals.  They are more expensive than the Sephora brand that @GG84 mentioned, but they last a long time.  I restock about every 3-4 months.  I suggest going to a store to see the colors, however, as the way they look on screen can be deceiving. 

Sephora brands are a good cost effective starter product, however, if you're really looking to save while you experiment. 

BENEFIT COSMETICS - Gimme Brow+ Volumizing Eyebrow Gel - 3 - neutral light brown

Benefit Cosmetics Precisely, My Brow Pencil Waterproof Eyebrow Definer Shade 3.75

Find a pencil with a spoolie on the end to help blend, regardless of which brand you go with.

@haaaaals 

You may find a brow pencil easier to start with then a powder or pomade. 

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Retractable Brow Pencil - Waterproof

might be in your price range. 

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing