Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club

New Here - looking for new foundation options

This is my first post so please bear with me. I’m not quite sure yet what group is for what exactly or how to really best navigate this app. Any help is welcome. 

I’m looking for new foundation (concealer too) that I’ll love. If you’ve got foundation tips/tricks/preferences/advice etc. I’d love to hear it all. Every time I find a new one I tend to be over it fairly quickly. The two main issues I know of right offhand are that 1)The color is typically too dark or too yellow and 2)“long lasting” feels like a myth. 

Re: New Here - looking for new foundation options

Hi! Sorry to hear about your frustration finding a foundation that you enjoy wearing. It’s such a crucial step in the makeup process; I completely understand how frustrating it can be when it’s not right.

It will be difficult to address the issue you are having finding a shade that suits you via a thread aside from the fact that you probably need to seek out shades with pink, peach or neutral undertones (avoid yellow). Best to have a professional match you in store, but I understand that can be difficult during these times. Certain brands use the camera on your phone to find a matching shade. I actually used one for my most recent foundation purchase - while it was not perfect, it’s pretty close! I made sure to use the finder in several different areas with different lighting and chose the shade that was recommended the most. There is a little bit of trial and error involved, but if you can get close, there are always ways to remedy a slight mismatch (bronzer, concealer, etc.) Also would help to know what your skin concerns are.

As far as your second concern goes, you’ll be delighted to know that there are plenty of foolproof methods to allow for your foundation to last all day. Use a primer before applying liquid foundation and set it with powder. For extra insurance, use a makeup setting spray. I’m happy to make specific recommendations if you’d like!

@crysann128 It helps to know your skin type then we can help offer advice and tips and tricks

I believe I would be considered to have combination skin. 

@SportyGirly125 more natural/matte is what I’m thinking.

@crysann128 if your foundation is too dark then you need to go maybe a couple shades in the same tone lighter, too yellow could mean your skin tone is more neutral and not warm toned.  For me the best natural looking foundation I have tried so far is #La Mer The Soft Fluid Long Wear Foundation SPF 20 

For a matte foundation I know people Love #Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Foundation

Another tip is you don't have to use one primer for your whole face.  I like to use MAC Skin Refined zone or Make Up For Ever Mattifying Primer for areas I am oily like my t zone and then for the rest of my face I use YSL Toucle Eclat Primer.  Also, I love MAC blot powder to set my foundation with Morphe setting spray to lock in everything.  I have dry/combo skin and I kid you not last Summer I was pregnant, AC was broken at work, in 90 plus degree weather and my makeup still stayed the same as the morning when I put it on.

For concealer I use Cle de Peau but I also love #NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer 

@crysann128 @So you know what finish you want-dewy, matte, natural, etc?

Welcome to BIC, @crysann128!

Foundation is always the hardest product to get right for me so I know your struggle.

When choosing complexion products, make sure that it's the right one for your skin type for best results.

Skincare and prep are the most important steps and will help you to get a nice base to work on.  With the correct products, foundation will look much nicer and last longer.  You can use translucent powder and setting spray to help your makeup stay on longer.

You can check out the Virtual Masterclass Thread or the Eventbrite website for free masterclasses.  I love watching the Sephora IGTV tutorials as well.  I found some great tips on there that improved my makeup application skills!

Also thanks for the masterclass link! I’ll definitely be looking into that when I’ve got some time 

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I’d say my skin type is combination and I do pretty well to keep a clean base. I know a proper primer and set for sure could help with making the foundation stay but until I find a decent shade that’s usually been in the back of my mind . 

@crysann128 @It helps to know your undertone 

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing