Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Monthly Misses: May 2020

Inspired by the Monthly Favorites thread, this is a place for us to share what products missed the mark for us this May.  Maybe it was something new to you, or a product that wasn't effective as it used to be.  

4 Beauty Products You Should Throw Out Immediately | Real Simple

Re: Monthly Misses: May 2020

The "Sephora Favorites Hello" pack was disappointing. None of the items worked out for me. So the 15% won't do me any good. Unlike "Sephora Play", you don't get to pick the samples of your choice with the new "Sephora Hello". Hopefully, next month's products will be better. 

https://www.sephora.com/product/sephora-favorites-hello-beauty-icons-set-P459837?icid2=products%20gr...

Monthly Misses: May 2020

@Anonymous7 For me the first aid Beauty weightless mineral spf 30 was a huge let down. It burnt my face (I typically don't burn) and turned my face a weird colour. I was so excited to buy it based on all the good reviews.

Oh no @RiniVe ! Thank you for the warning. I will be starting to use my Sun Safety Set this week and I am undecided which sunscreen to try first.

The Kate Somerville DeliKate™ Recovery Cream 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Cheeks Out Freestyle Cream Blush 02 Petal Poppin were both fails for me. The Kate Somerville broke me out, and the Fenty blush just didn’t last on the skin. I was having to reapply it in the middle of the day ☹️

Awww @suzyo , sorry the blush didn't work out for you

20200527_133433.jpg

Spoiler

The dermalogica was a fail for me also @haleyvvvv I just had a couple samples I used but 👎

It is really no good, @lmaster. I didn't even try to bust open the container to get the last bits out.

@haleyvvvv I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy Shiseido sleeping mask. I really like it a lot, but I agree that it’s not extremely moisturizing, so I use it as a light day cream. In my experience the hydrating Waso cream is more hydrating and I prefer to use it as a sleeping mask lol

Oh I'll check out the hydrating mask, @Zvezdochka, thanks for the info!!  I think for the sleeping mask it's also just hard to use, so definitely not worth it.

@haleyvvvv I’m sorry I should have tagged the product. This is what I meant: SHISEIDO - WASO: Clear Mega-Hydrating Moisturizer

No worries, @Zvezdochka, I totally mistyped and didn't mean mask, I meant moisturizer, lol 🤦‍♀️. Thanks for tagging the product!

That is the worst when a brush sheds on your face @haleyvvvv .

RE: Monthly Misses: May 2020

This is a no judgement zone right? I found this guy in the back of a bag purchased who knows when and decided to give it a whirl. Sounds great right? Wrong. It doesn’t stop oil or do a dang thing for my pores! Normally I stay away from products that are mostly silicones. I should done that this time!

TARTE - SEA drink of H2O hydrating boost moisturizer  was a big fail for me. It wasn't moisturizing enough for me, and it burned my skin a little when I applied it. Also, I found that it pilled up in little balls for some reason. The product has such high reviews, so I'm surprised it didn't work for me 

I have not been impressed by Tarte skincare and body care either @treenut. At least I did not purchase any of those in full size.

I have a few misses for this month, unfortunately.  First off, I got a couple of travel-sized instant brush cleaner sprays from Target awhile back and finally got around to trying one of them out and this is the most pathetic excuse for a brush cleaner!  It actually smells super-good but that's it's only redeeming quality; it barely removes any eyeshadow from my brushes and it takes a lot of spray to even begin to do anything whatsoever and therefore it's pretty much a glorified brush perfume.  

Last month I bought a retractable lip liner from Rimmel because it got really good reviews online on various different sites and if I'm being honest, I'm just not into spending a lot of money on lip liners.  There are some categories of makeup where I'm happy to pay a higher price but I feel like I can usually be pretty happy with a lower-priced liner and since I'd never tried the Rimmel formula I decided to pick a shade and give it a shot.  Maybe I just got a dud but it was NOT a good choice.  It was so creamy that it kept breaking and it had virtually no staying power.  I loved the color but the overall product was a complete miss.

Finally, I bought a Tarte H2O gloss at the end of last summer and finally opened it but dang, this formula is SO STICKY!!!  In the tube it looks so pretty, peachy-pink with a gold shift (and let's face it, the packaging sucked me in) but on my lips it barely has any pigment and the stickiness is on a whole other level.  I'm bummed.

20200528_143017.jpg20200528_143149.jpgAnnotation 2020-05-27 143740.jpgGUEST_27e72c9b-cd1b-4b37-8d54-13ae574dbc77.jpg

Sorry that the gloss did not meet your expectations @CookieGirl1. It sure is pretty.

@CookieGirl1  Wow the tarte lippie does look pretty, at first I thought it was a product from Alamar cosmetics. Sad to hear that its sticky.

@Anastasiya13 I was definitely disappointed :(.

Conversation Stats
Photos9
  • Such a pretty looking group of nope.
  • B0059ACE-AA0D-4F26-B51D-15E9D2E0FD2D.jpeg
  • GUEST_27e72c9b-cd1b-4b37-8d54-13ae574dbc77.jpg
  • Annotation 2020-05-27 143740.jpg
  • 20200528_143149.jpg
  • 20200528_143017.jpg
  • 20200527_133433.jpg
testing