Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Makeup for homecoming

my dressmy dressi need some makeup ideas to go with my homecoming dress. i don't want anything to compete aganist my dress. maybe something simple with a bold lip? or just anything you think will make me look amazing at homecoming. also maybe some hair ideas. i have blondish brown hair that is just below my shoulders.please tell me any ideas you have i will be so very grateful!

Re: Makeup for homecoming

For hair I'd recommend up in a fancy bun with some curled or waved strands left to hang down. For makeup, maybe a slightly smokey eye with a very glossy neutral gloss? (I really like the universal Fenty one). I always found school dance lights catch gloss nicely, and the less harsh look will keep the dress the main focus of the "look", while the pop of gloss will still liven up your makeup.

Hi there! I really hope that I can help you out! If you want to go with simple makeup and a bold lip I would definitely also do glowing skin. Laura Mercier makes a fabulous tinted moisturizer (Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Illuminating). If you need more coverage I would recommend BareMinerals BareSkin Illuminating Serum Foundation, I think it looks best when applied with the brush that they made for it, but it is sold seperately. Both will give you a gorgeous glow! For concealing I recommend YSL Touché Eclat, it's fantastic at covering up any flaws or blemishes, and it give a very slight luminous touch. You'll also need to apply highlighter, personally for me I absolutely love NARS Illuminator in Copacabana, it's a very pale shimmering silvery pink. I would also add a touch of bronzer and some blush, I like NARS bronzer in Laguna and NARS blush in either Orgasm or Super Orgasm (Orgasm is a pinkish peach with gold shimmer and Super Orgasm is more or a peachy pink with more gold shimmer and some glitter, but it's not overwhelming at all, Super Orgasm is a little bit brighter than Orgasm). Just apply the highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, a slight touch on the bridge of your nose and dab just a small amount on your Cupid's bow to help highlight your lips. Apply the bronzer just below your cheekbones, sweep from your hairline and angle down towards your mouth, then dust a bit on your nose, chin and forehead, for a sun kissed glow. Swirl some blush onto the apples of your cheeks and you will finally have a bright, healthy, beautiful glow! As for the eye makeup, since you want to go light I would recommend a sheer shimmering shade that you would apply from your lash line to just above your crease, personally I like Giorgio Armanie Eye Tint in 11, it's kind of a rose gold shimmer, and rose gold is really in right now. I apply 2 coats of it, and then I just trace it along my lower lash line. You will need to highlight under your brow and bring it down to where the eyeshadow has stopped, for this you could use the Copacabana highlighter that I mentioned earlier, or you could use Benefit Eye Bright (a pale very softly shimmering pink. Then you should line the inner rims of your eyes with a black pencil eyeliner, I like Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Pencil in Zero. Then take a black liquid liner and line your upper lash line, any one will work, and you want to wing it out a bit. Now if you can find a glittery black liquid liner that would be perfect, but if you can't you could top it with a glitter liner like Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Gunmetal, it really won't be crazy, but it will give you a little something extra. I think that Kat Von D still makes her Lighning Liner, if she does, I would go with that one in the black shade, it already has shimmer in it, and it's very pretty! For an eyebrow pencil I absolutely love Anastasia Brow Wiz, I use it in Blonde because it looks more natural, unless you have really dark hair. As for mascara I love Benefit They're Real! I apply 2-3 coats, depending on how dramatic I want my lashes to be. You could also use a mascara primer, they are white and have fibers in them to make your lashes fuller and longer, you apply 1-2 coats first and then apply your mascara on top, Lancôme has a really great one, and I highly recommend it. Now for your lips! I have absolutely no clue what you mean when you say bold lip... Do you want red, pink, berry or something completely and totally unique? There is also the ombré option. Personally I would go with a long wear liquid lipstick. I really love Stila, Kat Von D Urban Decay and Anastasia. There is also these extremely unique ones that can be worn alone or on top of another liquid lipstick. Stila makes one that is glitter, it's fabulous! I have 3! Iridescent pale pink, bright pink and gold. Urban Decay makes one that is kind of iridescent and color shifting, they are awesome! I have White Lie, it's kind of iridescent shimmer that shifts from blue to violet to pink, but it's sheer iridescent white with those shades in it... if you remember Too Faced Unicorn Tears lipstick it's very similar to that. So, here are my recommendations... If you want red check the 3 long wear liquid ones that I suggested, if you want to go pink Stila has a great bright pink one and Kat Von D has a bright almost bubblegum pink with just a hint of blue, it's called Armageddon, if you want to go berry check out Kat Von D Bauhau5. If you want to do ombré and you want it to be bright I'd try either the bright pink one from Stila or Armageddon from Kat Von D, I would fade that into Kat Von D Melanchiolia and then fade that into Anastasia Milk Shake. You could also do Anastasia Milk Shake with Urban Decay VICE Special Effects Lip Top Coat in White Lie, or if you want to go with the glitter try Stila Glitterati Lip Top Coat in Ignite, both look super cool, and I've gotten lots of compliments. Honestly with the black dress I would do one of these last 2, the ones with the top coats over Milk Shake. I'm including a picture of me wearing pretty much what I have suggested to you, escept the eyeshadow is 8 instead of 11. I'm wearing the Anastasia Liquid Lipstick in Milk Shake (a pale nude with a bit of pink) with the Urban Decay White Lie on top. Please let me know if I can help you with other suggestions if you don't like these, I'm very good with makeup. I hope that this helps!image.jpegimage.jpeg

Ohhhh I really like what you have on your lips here @shimmer412! Beautiful! I think I might have to try that. I believe I have both products 😄

Thank you! You should definitely try it out! Have you tried the Stila Glitterati Lip Top Coat? It's just so pretty!

@shimmer412  no I don't have that one. I only have a handful of top coats I think... not something I buy a lot of... well in that type anyway. 🙂

@veronika23 What kind of makeup do you recommend? I have an absolute ton, I just wish I would have gotten involved in the Sephora program things sooner lol! But I'm always looking for new and interesting things. I just finally got to try GlamGlow through my birthday gift and I absolutely LOVE it! I want the glitter mask so badly! Do you have any recommendations on masks? Those are probably my 2 favorite things, makeup and now masks. I'm also a huge fragrance fan, I have so much, but it's great because you can always wear what you are feeling basically, but my main go to's are Ralph Lauren Tender Romance and Bobbi Brown Beach. Do you have any favorites?

@shimmer412  at this point I'm drowning lol so I try to stick to a few favorite brands and their limited editions. I'm a big KVD, Natasha Denona and Viseart fan. I also love MAC... they have a special place in my heart 😄 But there's always an exception to that lol. If I see something I like I will most likely buy it lol.  I love masks too!  Depends what you are looking for in a mask and your skin type. I have dry skin and usually don't like peel off masks. I also try to stick to natural brands for my skin care and a big fav for that has got to be Mahalo. I love their bean mask! Also love a few from Omorovicza, Josh Rosebrook advance hydration mask, Fresh creme ancienne Ultimate Nourishing Honey Mask... there might be a few more lol.  I've tried the new glitter one from Glam Glow and I'm not a huge fan TBH. It's expensive and didn't see any real results. Plus the glitter isn't good for the environment.  I think they have a few fun colors like the sonic and power rangers in the sale section. That could also be a good option too if you want to try more from the brand. :). I am pretty picky with fragrance... so my go to now is Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt. But I agree it's fun when you can change depending on how you are feeling!

Also here's a great thread with links to various topics in the community. Might make it a bit easier to navigate for things you like to talk about.

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Insiders/Welcome-to-BIC-The-Navigation-Thread/m-p/2911403#M98185

And Happy Birthday!  Hope you had a good one 🙂

@veronika23 Thank you for all the info and the happy birthday! I'm a big MAC fan too, I just love their lipsticks and eye shadows! I'm also really starting to get into SeneGence, mainly their LipSense, but I did just order a limited edition rose gold eye shadow and I have a limited edition shimmering liquid eyeliner from them too, my friend sells it, it's really good stuff! But I'll definitely check into your link and everything, I want to become more active on here because I just love Sephora, I've been shopping here for 16 years now! I can't even believe it!

@shimmer412   yes I love MAC lipsticks and shadows too! I also love their range. They've had a lot of downs the last few years but hoping they can bounce back up this year. The Lunar New Year collection was a huge hit selling out in minutes and I can't wait for the Jeremy Scott one.  I need to get my hands on that one for sure 😄

That's nice that you are encouraging your friend! I had a bad experience with those type of companies so no more MLM for me lol.

Wow! That's a long time!  I'm sure I'm close to that too. lol. Whenever they started shipping to Canada is when I started buying 😄

@veronika23 I have always thought that the limited edition stuff from MAC was some of the best stuff, but I hate that it's limited edition! I feel like whenever I fall in love with something anywhere it ends up being a limited edition or discontinued. I really loved the Nicki Minaj lipsticks, the kind of shade shifting one from Rhiana, and the Mariah Carey lipsticks, especially her glittery cases. I missed a lot of the limited edition ones (it's a really long story) which is such a bummer. Do you remember Too Faced shade Unicorn Tears? I absolutely loved it, but of course it was discontinued. My fiancé was really sweet and managed to get me some including The Unicorn Survival Kit which is so amazing! It came in a little holographic bag with unicorns and hearts on it, a regular lipstick, a Melted Latex Liquid Lipstick and a highlighter all in the Unicorn Tears shade, so I'm totally obsessed with it, the highlighter is so cool, it's almost like if you would put UD's Lip Top Coat in White Lie on your cheeks! I really want to try the Cover FX Glitter Drops, there is a pinkish opal shade and an iridescent kind of shade shifting blue\pink shade. I also want to get the UD illuminating mix in, it looks so pretty! I'm a really big fan of NARS, Marc Jacobs, UD, Stila, Dior, YSL, Giorgio Armani, Kat Von D, Anastasia, Fresh (for their lip treatments), some Too Faced (I'm not a fan of the way they have changed over the past year or 2), Bite Beauty (they have some amazing lipsticks and lip treatments, I love their Agave Lip Mask), some MUFE (mostly their eye shadows), Bobbi Brown, Benefit and some Smashbox (they have one of my all time favorite lipsticks... Be Legendary Lipstick in Mauve Matte, it's this perfect pinkish, nude mauve not too light, although I'm a huge fan of pale lipsticks like Anastasia Milk Shake and Stila Rosa, and not too dark it's just perfect and I keep crossing my fingers that they won't discontinue it like ever!). I definitely buy from other brands too, but those ones are my most frequent. I think that GlamGlow is going to end up being up there since I really love the birthday gift and I'm definitely starting to get into masks! I really want to get some things from Tom Ford (I only have one, and it's this beautiful beachy perfume), but his line is just so expensive!

@shimmer412  yeah it sucks when you really like an LE product but it gets discontinued. and sucks when you miss out on LE stuff too 😞

Too Faced Unicorn Tears is still available! Heck they are coming out with a whole collection that's kinda around that. It's called Life's a Festival. It's a great unicorn collection!!! Check out the Too Faced thread or the New Releases thread to see pics of it. :). I have that set too! It's awesome!

I like products from the brands you mentioned as well. Depends on what they are coming out with lol.  Yeah Tom Ford is expensive... I went through a phase where I wanted a lot of his products but I was disappointed in some... and the price just keeps increasing. If I'm going to pay big money I want something that works for me and that I really love. 😄

@veronika23 OMG I had no idea they that's what the festival line was about! I'm so very excited! Thank you so much for letting me know about that, I'm definitely going to check it out! I'll probably buy everything lol!

@shimmer412   yes make sure you check out those threads for all the pics and info! I need everything from that collection 😄

@veronika23 Yessssss!!! Me too!!!🦄😍😍😍🦄 The new Stila spring collection is awesome too! I need to win like a $50,000 shopping spree to Sephora lol😝!!!

The Stila spring is nice!  Hahahaha yeah I would love to win a shopping spree like that too @shimmer412!!!

Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos3
  • my dress
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
testing