Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Make Up Break Up

I have a serious problem with the makeup on my nose, chin, and sometimes cheeks, breaking up. I have normal skin most of the time with occasional dry or oily tendencies depending on the season. A little texture but not really on my nose (where the break up is the worst). I feel like I’ve tried everything. Setting with powder, spray, leaving it alone, trying different foundations and primers. And nothing works. Even my under eye concealer will break up right next to my nose. If anyone has advice I’d really appreciate it.

Re: Make Up Break Up

If you don't already use one try adding a glycolic serum/toner or an AHA/BHA serum/ toner. The smother the surface of your skin is the better things will adhere to it. 

Affordable: pixie glow tonic, or the ordinary glycolic toner ( if you can get your hands on one) 

Pricey but effective: tarte knockout tingling treatment (AHA/BHAs), drunk elephant glycolic night serum, skin laundry brightening serum with glycolic acids 

Gentel option for sensitive skin: tatcha's rice enzyme powder

Chemical exfoliants to me are more effective and much less time consuming than a physical exfoliant. 

Make Up Break Up

This happened to me as well. I tried all kinds of primers, setting powders and setting sprays but nothing helped. Finally I changed my moisturizer and I haven't had a problem since! Apparently my moisturizer and my foundation didn't mesh well. Luckily I wasn't partial to my moisturizer and was ok with the change. Hopefully this helps.

Do you have a suggestion on what moisturizer to use under...

Do you have a suggestion on what moisturizer to use under makeup?

I have extremely oily skin, so I try to stick with a mois...

I have extremely oily skin, so I try to stick with a moisturizer that also mattifies. I really love the Glamglow Volcasmic Matte Glow Moisturizer, or the Caudalie Mattifying moisturizer. I have not had any problems with my makeup breaking with those. I try to stay away from any moisturizers with SPF in it. Those seem to make the problem worse.
Anonymous Insider

Sometimes that happens if you use too much product.  The time it really happens for me is when I need to exfoliate.  I think the dead skin cells are shedding and the products aren't adhering to your skin anymore. Try a good exfoliater and see if it helps.

Hey there @redheadnation! Since you said you have tried many setting powders, sprays, foundations and primers, may I ask which products you have used and how you use them? Maybe the problem is the products you are using? Let me know so I can help!

Well I've tried hydating primers, pore filling primers, m...

Well I've tried hydating primers, pore filling primers, mattifying. Hydrating ones seem to make my makeup break up the least but there's still breakage. I've tried a lot of different foundations but it seems like anything with more than light coverage will break up. And for powder I've tried just lightly setting, baking, using a setting powder, a foundation powder. It always looks like it's breaking up.

Re: Well I've tried hydating primers, pore filling primers, m...

I've had the same problem and it's very frustrating! I always get the best results after I've exfoliated with a steamy shower, then applied a moisturizing face mask and then applied a serum. If my skin is freshly exfoliated and hydrated the makeup doesn't seem to break. I use the St. Ives Apricot exfoliater, the British Rose Face Mask from the body shop and Hemp Serum which I found at Winners so I'm not sure it's originates from.

Anonymous Insider

I used to use St Ives apricot scrub too.  They say not to use it now because the apricot particles are too rough and they can do damage to your skin.  

Thanks for letting me know! Do you have any alternatives? I've heard of face peels but that sounds scary to me haha

Anonymous Insider

@nayhogan My favorite is Philosophy Microdelivery Peel.  It's like a scrub even though it's called a peel.  It's not cheap compared to St Ives but it works like a dream.  

The Ordinary has a glycolic acid toner that's a lot cheaper and does work but you don't get the immediate results that you get from a scrub.

Okay awesome thanks, I'll have to try that Philosophy one. 

As for The Ordinary glycolic toner, my friend bought it and allowed me to use it to test how the product works on my skin and it was a no-go.

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing