cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Longtime makeup user with foundation issues

Hi Everyone,

I’m a long time makeup addict with eye makeup skills that slay. However, I’ve never figured out how to get my skin perfectly covered and stay covered. I use Tatcha primer, UD Setting Spray, no moisturizer in the morning but a thin layer of Niacinamide from The Ordinary and Tatcha essence. I wait until my skin is bone dry and then I start in with my #Huda foundation stick with a slightly damp blender and Marc Jacobs concealer. Around this point I notice my situation is looking a little patchy. I set with Becca powder (and then continue to Fenty/Too Faced contour situation and finish with setting spray.

I normally tell myself that when I put the setting powder on that this time it will fix the patchiness.  It doesn’t.  It’s time for mascara and I need to be on my way. I have oily skin around my nose but not so much on the bridge or between my eyebrows. I blot when I need to. What am I doing wrong? I see you ladies do the same sorts of things every day on Instagram and their skin looks poor Lewis. Like am I supposed to wear foundation under my foundation?

Thanks everyone! I’m over trying to figure it out alone !

Re: Longtime makeup user with foundation issues

Don’t forget that photos and videos on Instagram are almost always filtered, retouched, in more flattering lighting, or some combination of that. But your foundation is looking patchy, it may be clinging to the drier areas of your skin. I would recommend adding a moisturizer to your routine. The Tatcha Essence is a great product but it works best with a moisturizer to help lock it all in. I also find that my skin doesn’t produce as much oil throughout the day when I properly moisturize. I have combination skin and my routine is to use a small layer of a rich moisturizer, then sunscreen, and let that absorb. Not to being “bone dry,” but just so it’s not slippery on top of my skin anymore. Then I apply a smoothing primer in the areas that need it, then foundation with a damp sponge. Your mileage will vary with different products as well, some products just don’t work with my skin no matter how I use them. So maybe sampling other more hydrating foundations could help you achieve what you’re looking for as well. Hope this helps!

Re: Longtime makeup user with foundation issues

@caif -- 

If your skin is overproducing oil, you may actually need more moisturizer to balance. if you can I'd go to a dermatologist rather than spend vast amounts on makeup trying to correct what may be a skincare issue.

But in the meantime, maybe try a water gel cream after your essence soaks in; I like Purlisse watermelon Aqua balm, but there are several nice ones here, including Tatcha's, which I've tried. 

If foundation is looking patchy, maybe it's not as great a color match as it was? or is oxidizing from the oils in your skin. Don't set it till it's right. I've always had foundation troubles too, but mine are about finding the right undertone, which also causes all kinds of issues. In any case,  stick foundations aren't traditionally the best for oilier skin but I haven't looked into Huda's so I can't speak to that much. Right now on on the Too Faced site, their amazing peach Perfect Matte foundation is about $18 and going fast, never to return. This stuff, once it sets. doesn't transfer or move around. Medium coverage, soft velvety finish-- very nice stuff, you may want to check it out and see if they have a shade for you. 

Sorry this is so long. But piling on more makeup/setting layers won't help, it will just end up clogging pores. The common wisdom of Insta today is not well-informed, it's a more-on-more approach that doesn't suit all skins. Take it from someone that never got maskne once. Get your skin in balance first.  

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing