Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Complexion Club
|

How to apply powder foundation

I'm a makeup newbie, and am having the hardest time applying powder foundation (I use bareminerals)! I went to Sephora and asked for help, and the associate told me to skip the primer (I use the Benefit poreless primer) and perhaps buy a new brush (I was using the e.l.f. airbrush blender). So, I bought Sephora's 47 and was told that it was good for full coverage foundation. (FYI, I do cleanse, tone, and moisturize my skin beforehand).

So, I tried it, but my face still doesn't look nice. Is powder foundation supposed to look...powdery? How many times am I supposed to put product on the brush to get full coverage? Should I use a beautyblender instead? Or a liquid foundation?

Help please!

Re: How to apply powder foundation

@dreamer254  -  You definitely can use a beauty blender to apply your powder foundation - some people prefer to use a beauty blender for all foundation / powder application while others use brushes.  And of course, there are a lot of us that use both.  It really comes down to what you feel comfortable with and if you are just starting out you may find the beauty blender or dry sponge technique works best for you.  It's not clear from your post how long you wait after your skincare routine before you start to apply so I would only suggest if you are not already doing so to wait until your skincare has soaked in before you apply.  Also, it can be helpful to watch other people apply foundation powder, liquid or creme in a step-by-step basis.  If there is a Bare Minerals in your area you could pop in there and ask for pointers too.

You can definitely make Bare Minerals foundation look powdery by using even the tiniest bit more than you need. It is better to apply multiple layers with less product on your brush than more product at once for coverage. Hope this helps @dreamer254. I definitely applied a bit much today it does look powdery compared to normal so I feel your pain. Some days I think I've got it and other days I still feel like an amateur. Also, I've found bare minerals works better (for me at least) with only skincare and no primer.

@dreamer254  For me, the keys are a good brush and the patience needed to buff powder foundation until it’s well blended. A good brush can reduce your buffing time. I think you’d be better served by a denser foundation brush that can buff powders, like the Sephora 70 or 56, or maybe the 88; I’m not sure which of those would be best. I use a Koyudo Fu-Pa series powder foundation brush that’s very dense. Any dense kabuki style brush should work. I just looked up the elf brush you mentioned and I wonder if it’s dense enough. Hmm... I have an old elf kabuki brush that’s too fluffy/loosely packed for the way I apply powder foundation. 

I sometimes use By Terry pressed tinted powder compacts to either set a liquid skin tint (tinted moisturizer) or de-shine my sunscreen. I dip my brush into my powder compact, tap off excess if needed, and buff it on my face in small circles, doing one area of my face at a time. I’ll spend up to 10 minutes buffing and building up coverage (if I want more coverage) on my whole face, so I can get a nice velvety airbrushed look vs an obvious powder-dusted look. But now that I have my Koyudo brush, I can knock this application out in about 5 minutes. I could do it faster, sure, but I’m a stickler for well blended powders—and I enjoy the feel of this brush on my skin, so I tend to keep buffing away. 🙂 

How many times you need to dip back into your powder foundation depends on the foundation: is it marketed as sheer, medium, full, or buildable coverage? I like sheer coverage, so I usually don’t need to build up.  

@WinglessOne Do you use the powder foundation-specific one, or the liquid/powder one ("fu-pa" makes me giggle every time)? My Real Techniques Instapop face brush is fine, but I think I'd get better results with a nicer tool. 

@tastelikewater  I use the one specifically meant for powder foundation: the DEKA fu-pa01. But there’s also one designed for blush and powder foundation that might work great; looks like the bristles on that one are longer. Another brush is designed for mineral foundation but can also handle liquid foundation; a brush collecting friend has that one and several other Koyudos. Beautylish carries all 3 of those brushes. 

Koyudo also makes foundation brushes (for powders and/or liquids) that are angled like your Real Techniques brush. I originally wanted the angled powder foundation brush but Beautylish doesn’t carry it and I’m trying to avoid CDJapan purchase fees. Hopefully Beautylish will carry more Koyudos soon. 

Thank you!!! I'll look into those brushes. 😄

Whichever powder foundation you use (I use Everyday Minerals):

1. tap some of the powder out into the lid of the container.

2. Use a kabuki brush

3. Swirl the brush through the powder and tap the excess off of the brush (into the lid)

4. Buff the powder foundation into your skin.

5. Repeat until covered.

Yes, it would look more powdery than a liquid foundation.  Everyday Minerals has one formula that is lighter and brighter than the heavier, more powdery finish formula.  

Good luck!  Might just be the brush. Make sure you use a kabuki brush and buff it in.

@dreamer254 

Thank you!! Someone else suggested a kabuki brush, so I'll have to check it out.

How to apply powder foundation

I've never used bare minerals, but it could be that the formula just isn't compatible with your skin type. Also, I've had the same issue with wearing primer under a powder foundation - it patched up. Is there a reason you prefer powder foundations? You might really like a liquid formula, applied with a dampened beauty sponge. If you're looking for a different brand, I recommend Make Up Forever matte velvet skin blurring powder (check out my review!). It was a little tricky for me to master, but it can make your skin look amazing.

Thank you!! The reason for powder foundation is that I read it's easier for beginners to put on (but I guess not? lol). Thanks for the suggestion-I'll check out your review! Always looking for new products to try.

I personally find liquid foundation much easier to apply....

I personally find liquid foundation much easier to apply. I have Mediterranean skin, dry as desert in winter and oily beyond belief in the summer. I have been using the Fenty beauty matte foundation for a while now and love it. In summer I apply my primer, set the primer with elf loose powder, apply foundation, set with elf loose powder, contour, set with powder, then blush. I don't typically highlight as usually at some point my skin gets oily again, but the foundation ends up looking super natural at this point. Winter I moisturize, put aloe on my face, prime, put on foundation, and then contour and blush. I typically skip powder in the winter since it dries out my skin way too much. For me Fenty foundation will transfer onto white shirts, but shaving cream/gel/foam removes the stains no problem. It is by far the easiest foundation I have ever had to clean up. A lot of foundation is figuring out skin type and experimenting. I started with a powder compact, and my school staged a makeup intervention (to be fair I also rocked unblended blue shadow up to my brow). Years later I tried Rimmel liquid foundation, but the shades were all to dark or yellow and it looked blotchy and flakey as some areas it stuck and dried, others it melted off. Then I went to Sephora brand and it was way better, much closer match, but not long wearing. I then at the reccomendation of a friend tried Smashbox which was the best, but wrong shade and for a larger price only bought me a few hours compared to Sephora. After that I tried Fenty and it is a perfect shade match and my skin seems to like it even when it is in its temperamental autumn oily one day then dry the next phase. Different foundations and skin types also like different applicators. All my previous ones liked a sponge and never worked with brush, but I got a $22 foundation brush from Sephora that my Fenty one loves and blends seamlessly with.

Don't fear the liquid foundation! Haha no I understand wh...

@dreamer254 Don't fear the liquid foundation! Haha no I understand whatyou're saying. If you get a chance, go into Sephora and tell them you're a newbie and need help! They can give you multiple samples to see what works for you. Also, if you aren't ready for full coverage - try for a cc or beauty balm. Make sure they get your color ID (it is a free quick face scan they do to get you matched to the right shades). And (this might just be for VIBs, butworth checking out), request to do a mini 15 minute makeover with one of the artists. It is a free service and they can show you the best techniques for powder or liquid application. Good luck! 👩‍🎤

Re: Don't fear the liquid foundation! Haha no I understand wh...

Thanks for the suggestions!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 26 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing