Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

How quick are you to spend a gift card, reward or points?

I am curious to know how quickly people tend to use a gift card, reward (sephora) or points (ulta and other retailers) they have. I have tendency to hold on to all of the above until I find something that I think is worth using them on. Does being gifted a card by someone influence the way you'd use it? Do you buy staple items, a new item from a favorite brand or are you more willing to try out something completely new to you?

Re: How quick are you to spend a gift card, reward or points?

@hersheykisseslv I use them right away for something i wouldn't normally buy myself. I live PMG but her lipsticks are $40 each. I own 2 full-size. One of those was a gift card and it was spent very quickly. I feel like a gift card should go towards a special splurge.

Definitely! I like to splurge on Pat McGrath palettes with gift cards, since they are expensive for the amount of product you get. I have yet to try any of her lip products, but I hope to do so in the future.

@hersheykisseslv eyeshadow isn't my thing so I pass on the palettes. I consider buying Elson (the Matte Trance formula) one of the best makeup purchases of my life.

@hersheykisseslv I guess I'm in the minority.  I tend to hang onto GCs.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I base my shopping more around sales than around holidays.  I always want to get the best deal possible.  Then what tends to happen is that the GC gets lost in my purse and I'm too lazy to dig it out (or I can't find it) so I wind up making a purchase with my own money.  For example, my friend got me an Aerie gift card and I couldn't find it readily so I bought 2 pairs of pants, then another 4 with my CC.  I'm also bad about using my Ulta store credit.  They only add up to about $50 or so, but still.

I do that as well, unless I have to spend it like in the case of a Rogue reward. It's always nice to save a little more when you can.

RE: How quick are you to spend a gift card, reward or points?

As with any type of gift card, especially a Sephora gift card...I can feel it burning a hole in my wallet! I’d say that I spend them within 12-24 after receiving them!

I use mine right away or within a few days.I always think I will forget about them if I don't and there is never any shortage of items on my wish list.

@hersheykisseslv I use them right away as well. I have a wish list set up on Sephora and usually use the gift card on either a new release I have been eyeing or something off the wish list.  I have a Sephora reward but am holding off on a good purchase since the item can’t be returned 

@SportyGirly125 I am doing the same thing with my reward. I am considering Mothership III, but I am going to wait a bit more to make the decision. 

@hersheykisseslv  I usually use them as soon as I get them. I am making an effort to stop doing that though and make smarter purchases. Since you can’t return items with rouge rewards and credit card rewards I have ended up stuck with items that didn’t work out. The last reward I got in December I held on to it longer and I am really happy with what I picked out. With gift cards I like to try new items instead of staples. 

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 23 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing