cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Empties - V2

Seeing product empties is so satisfying 🙂

Post your weekly, monthly, quarterly, whenever-ly empties and let us know how you felt about them!

Product-Empties-September-2016-1.jpg

Previous Empties thread:

Spoiler

Re: Empties - V2

@ather I hate that it’s so unpredictable even with a good skincare routine! Ugh. 

Wow, what a great collection of empties, @lnum!! Hope your skin is doing better!! 

@haleyvvvv Thank you! It's been having lots of tantrums lately, I think it's diet more than skincare this time around, but, I'm not giving up my sweets, especially this time of year. 😉

Good job on those FS products @lnum 

@lmaster Thank you! 😁

@lnum I like that FAB body scrub as well.  I have it on the go right now while I wait for my Dermadoctor order to arrive with my holy grail scrub.  It’s nice and holds its own, but there’s something magical about the Dermadoctor.

I don’t know what the bakuchiol was supposed to do but I didn’t notice it doing anything for me either. 

@heartsmyface I may have to cheat on the FAB and try the dermadoctor one. That Herbivore serum was part of a study that identified the actual amount of Bakuchiol in a number of products and it had none, so it was basically hyaluronic acid. I have since moved on to trialing the OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL .

@lnum  Well, dang!  That makes me feel better about seeing no results!  The Ole power serum looks interesting - ahas and retinol in one step!  The brand has a good track record for me as far as repurchasing products so hopes are high with that one.  I can’t wait for your review! 

I used up a lot of holy grails this time round.  The Good Genes, Ole dark spot toner, dermadoctor body scrub, Etude House UV double cut, and the Ole Lemon strip flash peel.  

I actually enjoyed most everything save for three big no’s.  
the belif overnight lip mask does not last the night.  It smells light and lime citrus but just ended up being used as a pre lipstick lip prep til it was gone cause the two times I used it overnight I had to get up and find something else.   
the Tula rose Glow &get it cooling and brightening eye balm- ha, this looks good initially and then migrates from my under eyes turning into a patchy pearlescent mess on my upper cheeks.  nope. 
Tarte Big Ego mascara-  it’s been a long time since I tried a mascara that raccooned me so badly.  Good thing I don’t go anywhere.  

B8C3CD0F-589E-4567-A434-A5EEB143FDBB.jpeg

7EB81E8C-C043-471C-A966-082B75133989.jpeg

DF06A4F1-C119-4A80-B9AA-4706920BA8F9.jpeg

AB20CBAD-D630-414B-9601-3AEFB9CA5F77.jpeg

5D2CCF92-0C36-4A5A-9F98-DA145CA84444.jpeg

 I enjoyed the ferulic texture renewal peel but need to try more to establish a solid opinion .

Great job on the empties, @heartsmyface!! I think I really dislike the packaging of the tula eye balms and the non pearly one also migrates a bit too. 

@haleyvvvv   I’m currently trying to use the blue one up on my elbows and knees as a sort of Vaseline but I hate it and think Vaseline works better. 

Excellent job!! @heartsmyface 

@heartsmyface unrelated but I love seeing all of your brushes in the background 😁

@CookieGirl1   😜 they’re quite pleasing to look at aren’t they?  😊

Proud to make my first empties post!  All loves.  Notes in spoiler.

thumbnail.jpe

Spoiler

Obagi Clinical Retinol .5 Retexturizing Cream: I use this several times a week where I can't tolerate Retin-A, which means under my eyes, the corners of my eyes, and around my mouth.  I'd say it lasted about two years.  Sephora no longer carries it, but Target does - and at about $48 instead of $60.  Already bought a replacement.

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream: My go-to for well over a decade.  I apply it after I wash my hands (every single time) and don't suffer from dry hands like most of my fellow healthcare workers.  I keep one in my purse, two at work, one in the living room, one in the upstairs bathroom, and one at my bedside.  You only need a tiny amount.  It lasts forever.  I have like 8 or 9 backups.

Paula's Choice BHA 9: I've been unable to tag this.  This is a HG for me in fighting blackheads.  I barely have to worry about them anymore.  I apply this to my T-zone in the morning and after washing my face when I get home from work.  I spot treat at night.  I have a couple backups.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz® Ultra-Slim Precision Brow Pencil I use this on the tails of my brows, so it lasted a long time for me.  I haven't been able to get the gradient effect at the very ends since I first bought this, though.  I already have a new one that I bought a while back 50% off.

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL  I use this on my eyelids b/c I don't want any area to suffer from aging.  Once I'm done with my FAB retinol eye cream, I will probably just use this on my upper eye area.  I was hoping to get this in a kit, but no such luck - I bought the full size during a sale

The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL This lasted me almost two years!  I'll probably pick a new one up within the week.  I know it's less than $10, but I still wish Sephora or Ulta included it in sales!

Paula's Choice 1% Retinol: I use this occasionally when I want to be ambitious with my retinol.  I already have a backup that I started using (I got it as a GWP).

Vaseline: I use this every night around my nostrils and upper lip to prevent dryness.  It's so helpful.  This lasted forever, so I'm quite proud of myself.  I have two backups.

Woo-hoo empties, @greeneyedgirl107!! So many!! Nice job

@greeneyedgirl107   Nice!  I want to try that ddg texture serum.   I've been enjoying the overnight wrinkle treatment so far.  Seems to be a good product line! 

@heartsmyface Your post made me realize that I tagged the wrong product, so I corrected it in my original post. I never remember the name of the DDG that I use, it is Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL .  I think one thing that threw me was the package change.  I wonder if that means they changed the formula.  Tagging a couple BICers that might know @GG84 @WinglessOne b/c I think they use this one as well.

@greeneyedgirl107  DDG added bakuchiol and removed urea. For my skin, that's kind of a bummer trade. (Urea's a good humectant.) I know DDG shuffled various other ingredients around (probably to reflect % changes) on the INCI list, and maybe they removed another ingredient or 2—but the bakuchiol addition is what caught my attention. Not to totally knock bakuchiol: it's reportedly a great anti-aging and skin-soothing antioxidant source that can help skin better tolerate retinol. I'm not a regular bakuchiol user so I don't know yet if my skin likes or hates it. But this DDG eye serum is one of those great products I wish hadn't fallen victim to the "clean beauty" fad. Eh, if it still works as well as the "dirty" version, great! But I'm glad I still have some DS vials of the "dirty" version (for travel purposes). 

Hearing @GG84 and @heartsmyface talk about the smell makes me more reluctant to try this new version. 😄 The primary reason I won't touch any Tata Harper is the stench of samples I've tried. Skincare shouldn't make me nauseous. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for your insight.  It's getting to the point where I'm concerned that any and all of my products could be re-formulated due to this clean movement.  I personally don't get the fascination with it.

@greeneyedgirl107  Eh, consumers' fascination seems based mostly on fear of "bad" and "harmful" ingredients that haven't even been scientifically proven dangerous, or were labeled dangerous based on 1 or 2 very flawed studies. Apparently many consumers are afraid "dirty" beauty isn't safe. Brands are just capitalizing on that fear because hey, more money is more money, right? DDG is supposed to be science-based, according to the way the brand founder touts clinical study results. So yeah, it's disappointing to see this particular brand jump on the "clean" bandwagon for a cash grab. 

Mini rant, because I can't help myself: 

Spoiler
I wish this much concern—from both consumers and brands—was put on, say, sustainability or environmental friendliness, or fair trade ingredient sourcing efforts, etc. Things that actually matter. I don't care that Brand X's serum doesn't contain [allegedly bad "dirty" ingredient]. I care that Brand X doesn't contribute to the exploitation of rainforests and/or the people who gather/supply/create certain ingredients/materials during the process of making that serum. I'll care about a "dirty" skincare ingredient's omission from products in general when said ingredient's been truly proven dangerous in the context of topical application to skin (not injected or fed to rats or rabbits, since that's not how a topical serum's meant to be used 🙄), per a well-done study. Preferably multiple studies. 

I'm getting closer to actively avoiding "clean" beauty brands. I feel partly responsible for continuing this misguided trend by buying a few of these brands' products. "Clean" beauty products aren't all terrible. Some are very good performers! I just wish "clean" wasn't the main marketing focus. I usually ignore the "clean" label when shopping because it's 100% meaningless in terms of product efficacy. So of course I end up with "clean" products in my collection. When I recommend them to friends and family, I always feel obligated to say "don't focus so much on 'clean,' that's not at all why I use this product... it could contain parabens and still be a rockstar—possibly a better preserved one, at that." 

Sometimes reformulations aren't bad, so try not to give up on a reformulated product unless you see a problem for your skin in the new INCI list. (Or unless, you know, the product now stinks like rotten dandelions and burnt plastic.) I wish all brands would offer DS/foils of reformulated things so we could try before buying. 

testing