cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Empties - V2

Seeing product empties is so satisfying 🙂

Post your weekly, monthly, quarterly, whenever-ly empties and let us know how you felt about them!

Product-Empties-September-2016-1.jpg

Previous Empties thread:

Spoiler

Re: Empties - 2019

Hi @Cyncynn ,

Lots of awesome empties! Aquaphor is one of my go-tos for my dry lips 🙂

Best,

Rebecca

@RebeccaBT 

Mine too - unbeatable if you have cracked lips. 

RE: Empties - 2019

This month’s empties. I tried to switch to clean beauty but I may go back to the dark side. Lol. Honest Beauty Eye Shadow and PUR primer. 3 of the shades which are panned we’re decently usable. The mauve is unusable as it didn’t show up on my skin tone and the other shades although dark were not tan skin friendly. The dark brown, black and plum were showed up all black. I don’t think it’s a reflection on the brand I just think it’s my skin tone. I did try to use it as much as possible. PUR was great but prefer MILK Hydro primer.

great job!! @thatjedininja 🙌❤️

great job!! @thatjedininja 🙌❤️

August sheet mask empties - I didn't remember to keep all the sheet mask empties but these are most of them from last month. It's interesting to see how my thoughts on some of the masks change from the time I used them to the end of the month when I can look at them in relation to other masks.

LOVES - I'd use these over and over again.LOVES - I'd use these over and over again.

Spoiler
LOVES

The softness of the Bemliese mask material in the Inna Organic Rose Geranium Soothing Facial Mask is amazing. It feels comfortable on and aside from it being too large length-wise and width-wise, the fit on this is one of the best I’ve experienced – the cut and size for the eyes, nose bridge, nose and mouth were pretty perfect and the mask left my skin soft and hydrated. The other masks in this line have key ingredients that are new to me so it’ll be interesting to try those out, but this rose geranium one was a nice first introduction to the brand.

Too Cool For School Coconut Ceramide Mask
is a forever favorite sheet mask of mine. It smells delicious and works wonders at infusing a dose of refreshing hydration to dry or dehydrated skin.

I’ve been loving Lanseal as the material for sheet masks. There are not very many masks with this material but I’m hoping that changes because the material feels like a comfy and cozy blanket for the face.  It’s the material in the 2-piece and the one piece Missha Ice Sorbet Creamy Moisture Mask, both of which were loves last month for me.

Jelly masks are also a fave of mine and this LalaFox Honey Nourishing Daily Mask is definitely one that I want to keep in stock in my house.  The subtle honey scented essence to this sheet mask has a great jelly texture that leaves skin feeling velvety smooth, soft and hydrated.

Megrhythm gentle steam eye masks are tried and true favorites; I can’t get enough of them. The Yuzu scented one is the strongest scented one in my mind and it’s the scent I like the least … except for when I have a cold, allergies or a really bad headache that keeps me from falling asleep. I don’t know what it is about the yuzu-scented mask in this line but it helps me fall and stay asleep on what otherwise feels like it will be a sleepless night.

Loves-Likes: These were great. I feel as if the Innisfree and Holika Holika ones would have been loves if I used them on a day when my skin was especially dehydrated and dry. Same with the Cremorlab - I'll have to try it out under different circumstances, when my skin has a little more redness to see how much of an effect the mask has on that.Loves-Likes: These were great. I feel as if the Innisfree and Holika Holika ones would have been loves if I used them on a day when my skin was especially dehydrated and dry. Same with the Cremorlab - I'll have to try it out under different circumstances, when my skin has a little more redness to see how much of an effect the mask has on that.

Spoiler
Loves-Likes

Cremorlab Herb Tea Pure Calming Mask makes my skin feel soft, smooth and hydrated; would love to see how calming it is with redness.

The Innisfree My Real Squeeze Mask (Bamboo) is thin mask with a light, watery and refreshing essence that leaves skin feeling fresh and hydrated. I can see this being a fabulous mask for daily sheet masking.

Holika Holika Hibiscus Tea Bag Mask is a fun interactive mask that left my skin feeling lightly hydrated, refreshed, clear and smooth. Not sure about the firming effects from this mask but I also think that’s something that would require more regular and consistent use of this mask.

Likes - I would happily use these againLikes - I would happily use these again

Spoiler
Mediheal W.H.P. White hydrating Black Mask Ex – black charcoal masks like this one adhere very well and have been one of my favorite types of material for a sheet mask. This one claims to brighten and hydrate the skin. It’s not that there wasn’t any brightness from it but it wasn’t anything standout; the more noticeable result was the hydration it gives.

The house hair sleeping masks have been good to my hair. I love that they come with their own cap too; makes it really convenient for traveling. One of the best scented masks in the lineup is the Sephora Acai Hair Sleeping Mask, which is technically marketed towards protecting hair color and boosting radiance. I don’t have a base for testing its ability to protect hair color, but in terms of shine, it did add some shine to my tresses though I think it works best to make hair feel soft, silky and moisturized.

The packaging on the Hallyu Watermelon Sheet Mask is adorable and the design of the sheet mask itself is as well – it looks like a watermelon. The mask also smells like a watermelon, the fleshy part and the rind part. Size-wise the mask is very large all around and as a result I think it would fit most face shapes. It’s a nice, refreshing mask to have on hand in the summer and great coming out of the fridge.

Natureby Blueberry Essence Mask Sheet is intended to firm and moisturize the skin. As with most firming claims, I don’t think one use is enough, but in terms of its ability to moisturize, that it does. I just wish this one smelled of blueberries. Not a deal breaker but it would have been a nice added touch.

Innisfree My Real Squeeze Mask (Fig) is my first fig mask. This essence on this one is more viscous than the traditionally watery serums in sheet masks. It leaves my skin a bit tacky after wear but that dissipates and my skin is left feeling nicely hydrated and moisturized.

Baviphat Juicy Mask Sheet (Peach) smells delicious and hydrates the skin nicely. Another good one for use in the warmer months coming out of the fridge.

Of the 3 jelly masks in this line, Yadah Revitalizing Jelly Pack Mask is my least favorite. That being said, this one is still a good mask; it's the least favorite of 3 amazing jelly masks. This one has a strong ginseng scent and makes my skin look refreshed and more awake after use.

OK/Maybe - these were fine; they fall into this camp mainly because they didn't standout as much as the other masksOK/Maybe - these were fine; they fall into this camp mainly because they didn't standout as much as the other masks

Spoiler
OK/Maybe
Nothing wrong with any of these masks, they just happened to be used in a month with other more amazing masks. The Narikiri Face Pack has a really cute mask design – it resembles My Melody’s face. Biobelle #Rise&Shine isn’t bad, but it isn’t as good as other Biobelle sheet masks and the material on this one feels thicker and heavier than other Tencel fiber masks. Facsy Aqua Mask would be nice for daily masking – it’s a simple, no frills hydrating sheet mask at a good price point.

Meh/NOMeh/NO

Spoiler
Meh/NO

The Upper Canada Acai Face Sheet Mask is one of those masks that I may have, for whatever reason, expected more from. It was fine; didn’t cause me any breakouts or skin irritations but it didn’t really stand out too much either. It’s one that I’d use if it was around but not something that would be at the top of my list to use. A good example of a nice mask that’s just not for me is the SooAE Argan Oil Moisture Repair Hair Mask. Argan oil generally tends to be too heavy for my very fine hair and has a tendency to weigh it down no matter how light a formulation of the oil. I was able to do an easy workaround to make the hair mask work when I used this one (i.e., apply just to length of hair with a light hand, etc.). My hair is healthier than before, but I could see this mask being a good once a month hair treatment for when my hair is really dry/damaged.

The NO of last month’s batch of masks is the GlamGlow Cool Sheet No Drip Hydrating Mask. I’ve tried a few dry sheet masks like this GlamGlow one and the ones I’ve tried have been ‘meh’ or just okay. This one does have a very pretty design – hot pink with silver stars on it; reminds me of a glammed up Nacho Libre mask. Unfortunately, it didn’t really do anything worthwhile for me that I wouldn’t be able to replicate in another mask.

like I said @itsfiv you have a beautiful collection

like I said @itsfiv you have a beautiful collection

Here’s my August Empties! I picked another B&BW Fragrance to work through as my monthly fragrance, because I’m trying to clear them all out of my stash. I do have a warning about the tréStique eyebrow pencil, it will pull out your eyebrow hairs. I actually really liked the product, I used it as my sole brow product for months and only recently noticed that my brows were getting super thin, and this was the culprit. I’m sad that my brows have bald spots now, otherwise it was a good product. I’m hoping to have way more empties for September.

Re: RE: Empties - 2019

Great post! I love using my Ordinary Rosehip Seed Oil under my eyes. It really plumps and hydrates my eye area. <333

Here are my empties from the past 2 months or so!

Loves: Masque Vivant, Soulfood, Patchology

Likes/Good:Glow Recipe, Briogeo

Meh: Charcoal sheet mask broke me out, Skyn Iceland mask was dry(I wonder if it was a faulty package or something)

nn

Loves: Kiehls Calendula Deep Cleansing Face wash is amazing! Cleanses really well without leaving your skin feeling tight. I consider myself a cleanser connoisseur and would highly recommend this.

Really liked: It Cosmetics confidence in a cleanser feels lovely and creamy on the skin. My skin felt really soft and there was no residue or film left after washing it off. Only downside was the citrus peel oil or something similar on the formula. On days my skin was irritated from retinol I felt a slight burn. Glow recipe cleanser was gentle and pleasant to use, this was great as a second cleanse after a balm or oil. I wouldn't use it on the mornings, because it made my skin a smidge tight.

Good: Glossier cleanser and YTTP cleanser. Good for second cleanse, but a bit drying to use in the mornings.

Meh: Omorovicza cleansing balm (you absolutely need a flannel for this and even after a flannel I could feel a film on my skin) and Estee Lauder cleanser. Terribly expensive for what they do.

Bad: I am not a cetaphil person (cerave has better and more expensive formulas)

Beyond Bad: The SKII was the most horrid product I've ever used on my skin. My skin felt so dry it was painful.

Loves: Juliette Has a Gun Not a perfume, Essence nail polish drying drops, ABH brow wiz, Mac mascara (I love the wand on this one!)

Good/average: Tarte radiant setting spray, murad eye cream, Klorane body wash (moisturizing, but scent was basic), Alterna hairspray, Sturm HA serum(very good, but not worth $300 for FS), Caudalie cream

Bad: Pretty Vulgar (From influenster, the worst mascara I've used in a long time), Trestique eyeshadow stick (crumbles and uneven)

Re: RE: Empties - 2019

Nice run-down/ review! @Cyncynn 

A small batch of empties from July and early August. I’m trying to use some of my kabillion samples, or at least the ones I’m sure are safe for my skin. 

B490F96D-49D3-4418-AADA-7EABB7D9B203.jpeg

Loves: 

Spoiler
Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum: I’ve already repurchased it and moved it to an airless vacuum pump bottle (which wasn’t easy, thanks to the shape of the DDG bottle) because it’s very hard to use up all this serum once the level’s lower than its original bottle’s pump tube. This serum’s worth the trouble, though. I rave about it all the time. ❤️ 

MAC Satin Lipstick in the shade Carnal: I love this blue-toned blood red shade and wish it wasn’t discontinued. I save all my MAC empties for their recycling program (and okay, for free lipsticks); this reminds me to take my latest batch to my local MAC store or counter. Meanwhile, I’ve opened my last backup tube of Carnal. 😞 MAC, y u always kill ur best stuff? 😭 

Skinfix Eczema Hand Repair Cream: This is the tube I received as gratis from Sephora. I’ve already repurchased it and will likely go through multiple tubes this winter. 😄 My hands don’t have eczema but they are quite dry, and this cream is the best moisturizer I’ve ever used on them. I’ve been trying not to use it daily but that’ll definitely change once temperatures drop below freezing. 

Sephora Coconut Water Cleansing Wipes: I travel with these instead of micellar water. At home, I use them to remove makeup swatches or custom blends done on my hand. They’re effective for anything but mascara and waterproof makeup. They smell good. And they don’t irritate my skin at all. It’s almost time for me to restock these. 

Nopes: 

Spoiler
Tarte Babassu Foundcealer samples: My skin tones are the same as a foundation-wearing friend’s, so I tested 2 shades of this foundation on myself (one on each half of my face) to see if I should recommend either of them to her. I shouldn’t. Both shades were ashy on me, even though they had different undertones. And this stuff felt very heavy on my skin. 

Philosophy Purity Made Simple: This was my first time trying this cleanser. I used it right after the Bobbi Brown oil cleanser sample. It’s very creamy and smells weirdly medicinal. Irritated my eyes a lot. Removed the rest of the Tarte foundation without stripping my skin or causing any dryness, but a slightly tingly reaction of chicken bumps began to form on my cheeks—and that reaction’s usually followed by dry patches. 😡 I quickly added my beloved e.l.f. essence and a cold compress to calm that reaction down. 

Ulta Premium Pillow Cotton Pads: Yet another pack of cotton pads/rounds I’ve replaced with reusable bamboo/cotton rounds. Took me about a year to finish these. I didn’t like them for skincare use, but they’re kinda nice for cleaning wounds like the badly skinned knee I had last year. I won’t repurchase them, though. 

Palmer’s Coconut Oil Body Lotion: I tried this years ago but couldn’t remember what I didn’t like about it. It’s not terrible—it’s quite moisturizing—but it strongly smells too much like suntan lotion meets Jergens original lotion. And I don’t like how my hands felt after I applied this; not greasy at all, not bone dry, but kinda... suede-ish? Definitely not the feeling I prefer. 

Paula’s Choice Gentle Cleansing Cloths: These are too gentle. 😄 They can remove powder blush but struggle a bit with eyeshadow swatches. Removing cream/liquid makeup requires more aggressive rubbing than it should. I still have a few single packs of these wipes (more GWP from PC); I might use them for post-workout wipe downs. But they’re ineffective as makeup wipes. 

Neutral, won’t purchase: 

Spoiler
Bobbi Brown Oil Cleanser: Effectively broke up and removed most of the Tarte foundation. I also have a DS bottle I might use from time to time. But I have no need to buy a full size. I’d rather use micellar water than a cleansing oil as my makeup remover.  

Wow great empties and you’ve kept track of what you really liked and stuff that don’t @WinglessOne  - you are always organized and thorough 🥰

I made it through a *few* larger products this month which felt good.  There were only a couple of things that were truly duds for me and the rest were either so-so or definite "loves":

I enjoyed both of the sunless tanners but I don't use either of them for my base tan; they're both products that I used more as "tan extenders" because each has more moisturizing properties and since both give fairly gradual results I liked them best when I used them to keep my faux tan looking fresh.  *I don't think that the St. Tropez Watermelon one smelled super watermelon-y but it didn't have the typical self-tan smell either.  The Banana Bundt Cake candle is a fav (and I majorly stocked up on them during the recent Bath & Body Works sale) and I love both the Batiste Volumizing dry shampoo and the UD All-Nighter.  The nail polish remover was average and I totally forgot that I even had the acne cleansing pads until I dug them out of a cupboard and used up the last couple that were in the container.I enjoyed both of the sunless tanners but I don't use either of them for my base tan; they're both products that I used more as "tan extenders" because each has more moisturizing properties and since both give fairly gradual results I liked them best when I used them to keep my faux tan looking fresh. *I don't think that the St. Tropez Watermelon one smelled super watermelon-y but it didn't have the typical self-tan smell either. The Banana Bundt Cake candle is a fav (and I majorly stocked up on them during the recent Bath & Body Works sale) and I love both the Batiste Volumizing dry shampoo and the UD All-Nighter. The nail polish remover was average and I totally forgot that I even had the acne cleansing pads until I dug them out of a cupboard and used up the last couple that were in the container.Loved them ALL with the exception of the Kiehls Nightly Refining Micro Peel which didn't seem to do anything for me (and don't be fooled by its small size because it lasted a long time) and it felt really sticky on my skin.  Everything else was great!Loved them ALL with the exception of the Kiehls Nightly Refining Micro Peel which didn't seem to do anything for me (and don't be fooled by its small size because it lasted a long time) and it felt really sticky on my skin. Everything else was great!Nothing special here.  Just my attempt at using up a few foils/samples.Nothing special here. Just my attempt at using up a few foils/samples.

@CookieGirl1 Great job! 

Best,

Rebecca

B8D07CFD-6014-40AF-AFE8-175467B106CC.jpeg

Likes- All we just ok.i have another volition sample which I will try out. 

@jen81 Great job! 

Best,

Rebecca

I don't feel like I made it through very much this month; it's like I'm on the brink of finishing up several things and this month just didn't push them over the edge.

I'm just decluttering this.  I used it a couple of times and I think it's one of the most pathetic excuses for a "detox mask" that I've ever used.I'm just decluttering this. I used it a couple of times and I think it's one of the most pathetic excuses for a "detox mask" that I've ever used.These were just OK with the exception of the Elemis Superfood; it was actually awful.  It smelled like a slug that crawled into a smelly sock and died.  It definitely didn't belong on my face.These were just OK with the exception of the Elemis Superfood; it was actually awful. It smelled like a slug that crawled into a smelly sock and died. It definitely didn't belong on my face.The "happy empties".  And can we all appreciate that after TWO YEARS I finally made it through a Butter Bronzer?!The "happy empties". And can we all appreciate that after TWO YEARS I finally made it through a Butter Bronzer?!

Wow @CookieGirl1, good job on the Butter Bronzer! Feels good to get through a product. That Elemis item sounds ... ewwww! But your description had me cracking up. Sounds like there will be more empties to come this month.

YASYASGood. Would purchase.Good. Would purchase.Eh, not for me.Eh, not for me.NopeNope

The super winner of everything was the Hale & Hush Quiet Wash sample. O M G. Best face wash ever. My face was baby soft and had zero irritation after using it. I'm considering giving away my stock of face wash so I can just use this one. Unfortunately it's one of those things that is insanely expensive and I can only buy it from my local rep around these parts.

Look at all those sheet masks you used up! Good job @Weetart

My recent empties since my last post on here, which has been awhile lol! I did more work on my samples! Belif Aqua Bomb- this is my second bottle. Although it’s not my HG, it’s still a nice lightweight moisturizer especially in the summer. Tatcha Camellia Cleansing Oil- love! Great for removing makeup and leave my skin without feeling stripped. Doesn’t sting the eyes but does leave blurry vision for a few seconds. Already got the full size. Amorepacific treatment cleansing foam- really like it! I used it on my jaw line primarily where I get acne and it did great in preventing breakouts and my skin felt pretty good and smooth. Would repurchase! Tatcha blotting papers- only ones I’ve ever purchased, I’ve gone through four or five of these now. Definitely a HG! Blots my oils without removing my makeup. Briogeo shampoo and conditioner samples- I didn’t see much volume effect but my hair felt good and smelled amazing. Maybe if they had this in a hydrating formula I would buy the full size. Caudalie serum- didn’t see much effect with just one use but I think my pores looked a little smaller than usual. FAB cleanser- Dislike! My skin felt way too tight after trying that. Briogeo mask- didn’t see much effect but I’m not sure I used the right amount through my hair because the sample is so small. Flower Fusion mask- dislike! I had a reaction to this one so never buying again. Sephora cotton rounds are my jam! So much softer than my grocery store and do a great job for toner and removing eye makeup. Saturday Skin mask- didn’t see much in terms of “radiance” as it says it should do but my skin didn’t react so that was nice. Maybe might repurchase. Overall a nice set of empties and I can’t wait to use more!

testing