Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Empties - 2019

Seeing product empties is so satisfying Smiley Happy

Post your weekly, monthly, quarterly, whenever-ly empties and let us know how you felt about them!

Product-Empties-September-2016-1.jpg

Previous Empties thread:

Spoiler

Re: Empties - 2019

Since it was the sample, there are other shades I could try @itsfi. But I wasn't wowed - though it would be hard to wow will only a couple uses in the sample. Thanks for your recommendations. I am lucky with pretty good skin but I think a concealer to cover a bit more of my redness when I use something light like BB/CC cream would be wonderful to have. I prefer a natural, maybe leaning more matte finish. Do you think one of the two you suggested would be more along those lines than the other?

@ShortErica, all three (NARS, Too Faced and Tarte) have a natural finish; as I think about it, I don't know which would be the more matte of the 3. Smiley Sad  Too Faced is full coverage; NARS is medium to full coverage and the Tarte is in between. I wear concealer most days to cover some redness around my nose and acne scars along my jawline and it's sometimes the only base makeup I wear on weekends. I'll try to remember to pull all 3 out tonight to see which of them leans matte.

That's good to know @itsfi. I'll look forward to hearing what you think. I'm pretty sure all 3 looked to have a decent shade range but I wonder if one will match my skin better than the others. I guess I have a good excuse to get some samples! Smiley Happy

@ShortErica, I wouldn't say these 3 are matte in coverage but of the 3, I'd say the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer is the more matte (but I wouldn't say it's matte), followed by the Tarte and then the Too Faced. I also thought of another concealer you might be interested in, particularly if you are looking for something that leans matte - NARS - Soft Matte Complete Concealer

This is why makeup is wonderful and frustrating- too many choices! Thanks for checking those out and the additional recommendation @itsfi 

@itsfi did you find the tarte too drying on your dry skin? I primarily use concealer under eye, so it’s a bit different, but I found the tarte was so drying to that area where the too faced was much less so. Does the same apply to covering spots? 

@ShortErica 

@missjeanie, I agree that of those 3 concealers, the TF is the more hydrating for under the eyes. For under eye concealer, I like to dab an oil in that area, let it absorb a bit into the skin and then apply concealer; it hydrates that area a bit more so product is less drying.  I also like TATCHA - The Pearl Tinted Eye Illuminating Treatmentfor under the eyes.

In terms of covering spots, I find the Too Faced to be both fuller in coverage and creamier / more hydrating in consistency. The Tarte is next for coverage, followed by the NARS. The areas where I need to cover spots tends to be the oilier parts of my face - along my jawline, so if it's a little drying it doesn't bother me too much. But for the dry parts, under eyes, I layer an oil (or a serum) underneath the concealer.

@ShortErica 

@itsfigood tip with an oil under the concealer undereye.  I find for covering spots the NARS - Soft Matte Complete Concealer has better staying power for me.  Have you tried it?  It has been a hot minute since I've given the NARS - Radiant Creamy Concealer a test run though.  Maybe I should give it another shot, it's so popular for a reason right? @ShortErica 

@missjeanie, I have tried the NARS Soft Matte Concealer and like it. It gets more use when I have more time in the mornings. I reach for concealers with a wand a lot because they’re convenient; I can dot it on and quickly pat to blend while I’m waiting for my car to warm up 😆 or I can use it quickly once I get to work if I need to. 

You know what @itsfi ... I never really thought of it... but I do the same thing.  Wand concealers get used a lot more than pots or tubes for me.  The others get used if I'm getting ready mid-day or touching up in the evening when I have more time. What a great observation.  I think now that it's been pointed out, I'll gravitate towards purchasing more wand style and less pots/tubes. 

I'm so glad you found your perfect setting powder @ShortErica !  Such a hard thing to do!

Thanks @missjeanie! Part of me wants to try others such as the LAURA MERCIER - Translucent Loose Setting Powder since it has such good reviews but another part of me is like why push the envelope when you have something good. Do you have a favorite?

@ShortErica  I tend to bounce around with setting powders. I’ve gone back to the make up forever and the Laura Mercier secret brightening powder a few times though. I found the regular Laura Mercier translucent darkened my concealer a bit and honestly didn’t get the huge hype. I have à Becca  one to try soon, but I’ve certainly learned that some (I’m lookin at you KVD) are worse and cakier than others. 

Mid bet that you could a sample at Sephora that wouldn’t be too ‘contamined’ just due to the sifters etc. If you wanted to test a new one?

Good idea @missjeanie. Has there ever been a setting powders Sephora Favorites kit? That would be useful for me. Smiley Wink

Oh for sure! I’m pretty sure that’s where I’ve gotten a few to try! I see two on the Canadian site right now. The fresh face set actually looks like a nice set @ShortErica !

My travel empties

Skincare

IMG_6775.JPG

Spoiler

All the masks fall in the love or like categories.  The skincare products, on the other hand, were all over the spectrum.

LOVES  

Leaders Daily Wonder What Happened Last Night Radiance Revitalizing Mask – this one checks off a lot of boxes – hydrating, soothing, brightening! It makes your face look like you got more sleep than you actually did.

Laneige Water Pocket Sheet Mask (Replenishing) – this sheet mask is a tried-and-true favorite that leaves my skin looking and feeling hydrated. The material on this one is thin which I love and it really feels like you’re not wearing a sheet mask.

Skinceuticals Biocellulose Regenerative Masque – this one is touted as being soothing, calming and great for post-peels and it definitely lives up to its claim. It feels gentle on the skin and did not irritate my skin at all. I’ve used this one in the past on just any particular day and it was very nice but I think this mask really shines after a peel when skin is sensitive, possibly red and irritated. It’s an expensive mask, but a good one to have on hand.

your peace. Lanseal Nourishing Mask – this 2-piece sheet mask is made of Lanseal material (it feels a little like gauze) which is said to absorb more than 150 times the essence that other sheet masks do. I don’t know about that, but I do know it holds a lot of essence and it feels comfortable on.

Indeed Labs Hydraluron Moisture Serum – this is AMAZING!!! For the last week-and-a-half, my skin has been dealing with the aftermath of a professional peel. It’s been sensitive, flaky and, to say it’s been very dry is being kind. This serum literally kept my face from looking like it was covered in dry patches and scales. I carried this tube with me in my purse or coat pocket and would reapply every few hours. A total lifesaver.

Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury Facial Oil – this was also nourishing for my dry, flaky skin. I used this one at night, slathering it on my face and down my neck as the last step in my skincare routine.

LOVE-LIKE

The FaceShop Real Nature Lingzhi Sheet Mask – Fresh-scented sheet mask that hydrates and brightens . This mushroom one is nice and there are other ‘flavors’ I’m interested in trying. A “con” about this particular mask is that it does contain alcohol; it wasn’t an issue for me, did not make my skin more dry, but if you’re sensitive to alcohol or just want to avoid it in skincare, this one will be a pass for you.

Leaders Juice Pina Colada Bright Mask (Pineapple & Coconut) – this one smells deliciously of pineapple and leaves my skin feeling soft, supple, hydrated and bright.

Holika Holika Skin Rescuer Mask Sheet (Collagen) – The Skin Rescuer line is one of my favorite lines from this brand. The material is thin and it holds quite a bit of essence. The packaging is nice too – easy to open and makes less mess.

Sephora Collection Sleeping Mask (Lingzhi) – The texture on this one is like a jelly cream gel. It’s light and comfortable on. It has a faint subtle scent, maybe a little floral in nature and applies smoothly and easily. I’ve tried one other sleeping mask from the Sephora Collection and prefer this lingzhi one over the aloe one. Both are great for travel; they take up little space in your toiletry bag and they last for multiple uses.

MEH

Shiseido Benefiance Extra Creamy Cleansing Foam – this one was fine; it wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. It has that signature Shiseido scent but this one felt like the scent was stronger than usual.

NO

Milk Makeup Cooling Water  –  I really wanted to like this product, but alas, it was not meant to be. Smiley Sad I think I may be allergic to something in this because the few times I used it, my eyes would tear up a lot throughout the day and I ended up tossing it. This is definitely a “No, it’s you; it’s really you.”

Hair Care / Bath & Body

IMG_6778.JPG

Spoiler
The top row are loves. Spongelle Beyond Cleansing Body Wash Infused Buffer (Pear Freesia) smells likes springtime and is great to have when traveling. Thank you @lmaster, this came in handy! <3  Alterna Hair Care Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner are favorites of mine and, of the foil shampoo and conditioners I brought with me, are the best of the bunch. The shampoos and conditioners that make up the bottom row are okay and range between "maybe" and "meh (aka, "it's not you, it's me!")

Fantastic travel skincare, @itsfi!  Planes and dry hotel air wreck such havoc on my skin.

Yes they do @curlychiquita! I find myself having to be even more mindful of my skincare when traveling and when I get back. Sigh. 😔 Do you have any “go to” skincare items you like to use when traveling to keep your skin hydrated?

@itsfi, I just make sure I have products with hylauronic acid in them to keep my skin happy overnight!

Looove hyaluronic acid @curlychiquita! ♥️ I can’t even imagine how my skin survived before I discovered it! 

@itsfi the milk cooling primer,,I didn't have a reaction,...

@itsfi the milk cooling primer,,I didn't have a reaction, but I'm not seeing the purpose of it,, it's not doing anything for me 🤷 I also love the pear spongelle too
2,974 Replies