Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life

Cruelty Free brands

I've noticed sadly more of some of our favourite brands are selling in the Chinese market, meaning they're open to animal testing. What are some of your favourite makeup brands that are still thankfully cruelty free? I like Tarte and will happily continue to support them.
Anonymous Insider

Re: Cruelty Free brands

Drunk Elephant, Supergoop, and Ole Henriksen are some of my favorites.  Cruelty-Free Kitty is a great site for finding lots of completely cruelty free options.  Logical Harmony and Ethical Elephant are other nice sources of brand information. 

On another note, I'm having trouble finding products in the rewards bazaar and beauty offers that are cruelty free.  I receive the play box and am noticing the same issue.  Sephora's own in-house brand isn't cruelty free either.  Does anyone know if Sephora is making moves to address this?

@Crashleyw Yes I’ve abandoned quite a few brands over the years due to their decision to sell in China. Body shop, Too faced, Tarte, Fenty, and urban decay are some of my favorite CF brands.  I hope some day they stop requiring animal testing. 

Now that I've been doing some research I plan to not buy...

Now that I've been doing some research I plan to not buy a few brands in the future. I'd also love if @tarte changed ownership as they're currently owned by a company that does animal testing. it would make their current branding of being cruelty free and some vegan ect much better.

Re: Now that I've been doing some research I plan to not buy...

@Crashleyw I agree. I hate when they get bought out by non CF parent company. 

I forgot to add Drunk Elephant is my favorite CF skincare. 

I love Kat Von D, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Fenty, Hourglass, Tarte, and Stila. 

RE: Cruelty Free brands

Hi @Crashleyw My favorite cruelty-free Makeup brands that do not sell in mainland China are: Anastasia of Beverly Hills, Charlotte Tilbury, Hourglass, Fenty.

yes, love Charlotte Tilbury, was so happy to learn they'r...

yes, love Charlotte Tilbury, was so happy to learn they're cruelty free.

Just because a brand is selling in China, it doesn't mean they are testing on animals.  A bottle of wine made in Napa, CA but exported to China (and a good amount of some of the best wine made there does end up in China) doesn't mean that all of a sudden that wine is being produced with lower standards than it is for sale in the US or Europe or wherever.  

China has emerged as a mega-player in consumption of consumer goods as their government has eased restrictions which has allowed the citizens to build wealth and the importation of merchandise.

Chinese law requires animal testing on the majority of co...

Chinese law requires animal testing on the majority of cosmetics that are produced outside of the country. Your making a big leap with your wine comparison.

Re: Chinese law requires animal testing on the majority of co...

I stand corrected.  I was not aware that China is doing this.  That said, it's possible that they are facing increasing pressure and have become more lenient on the testing.

Re: Chinese law requires animal testing on the majority of co...

@flamingolegs Quite a few companies like Body Shop and Lush push for China to stop requiring animal testing.  With California banning animal testing (I believe 2020 is end date they will allow) I hope this gives a nice push for the cosmetic industry and global regulators to come to an agreement on how to test without harming animals. 

Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing