Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Makeup Is Life

Color IQ

So who has tried the color IQ in stores & on-line? 

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/

I heard people going into multiple stores & getting a different reading each time. 

I just tried the on-line tool with a light neutral undertone shade & all my results were medium with pink or yellow undertones. I also don't understand why I only get a few results and then try another foundation and get different product results. Like if I plugged in a tinted moisturizer shade I wouldn't get any powder product results even though that's what I'm looking for. 

Maybe if we post our results, they can somehow fix/improve it. 

So please... Share your results. 

Re: Color IQ

I tried it twice without foundation, once I walked in the store with foundation on. They made me clean it off, wait 5 minutes & then do the color IQ. All 3 times I got a different number, all 3 times they were too dark & too yellow. I let them swatch the foundation & wait to see their reaction LOL! 

I may go to a store today, just need to remember not to put foundation on when I leave the house Smiley Tongue 

I would like to do this I tried online and it was way too dark, I agree sephora's lighting tends to be dark at times. My problem is when I go to a store without makeup on no one wants to help.

I wont leave the house without some color on my face. So I probably wont be trying the coloriQ.

For some stores, it does seem the more put together you are, the more service you'll receive.

That is definitely the truth.

I can't remember what shade myself and my cousin got matched to in stores, but it was completely off.

Just to name a few, I wear Smashbox's Studio Skin in 1.2, their HALO powder in Light, the Champagne shades in Benefit (powder and liquid), the light/medium option in Josie Maran's Matchmaker Foundation, and Fairly Light in Bare Minerals (I don't wear BM personally, but I do know what shade I wear in the line) and the Color IQ gadget matched me to shade 5 in Smashbox's Liquid Halo......hello, way too dark!

My cousin wears shade 3 in Urban Decay's Naked and has a slight golden undertone, the Color IQ match gave her a neutral based Lancome foundation and it washed her out entirely. There's not a whole lot of yellow/golden undertones to her skin, but a neutral is just enough to take all the color out, so I rematched her to Smashbox's Liquid Halo in 2.

I think the Color IQ is great in theory, but I wish they could have a feature that cross matches not just the Color IQ number, but also shades of foundation you already wear just to see if matches line up across the board.

I've got 2 different readings from Color IQ. Shyam did it yesterday I am 3R07 and the girl from the Sephora near me did it and I am 2R07. Only good thing about when I got retested is that it confirmed my match for my most favorite foundation. 

Interesting that you're number is the same, except for your pink number. Since it's so similar you could have just been more red one day. 

Maybe so. Either way I got tons of samples of foundations that'll match me and aren't on my list. 

I just went to sephora yesterday to get matched and I was a 3Y08. The color powder that the SA put on me seemed a little too dark. I didn't buy it right away because I wanted to think about it for a little bit and I'm really glad I didn't get it because I would have just had to go back for a lighter shade. While I don't think my result was accurate, it at least gave me a good starting point in terms of which shades to look at because I'm totally new to face makeup.  

Try to get matched in a foundation that's not available for your IQ. Then compare that to your IQ matches. I've gotten a lot better at picking out my shade on-line now. 

Mine came up 3y06. I always wear the lightest shade of foundation in pink undertones. Most foundations don't have a light enough color for me. Yellow makes me look sickly and gross. I had some yellowing sunburn on my neck where she took a reading. I not sure if it threw the numbers off. I did it for the points.

When I did it mine came up 3y06 too Which is WAY to dark. From what I can tell I'm more of a 3y03. 

lb141  I think we are the same shade.  I got both those shades on my color iq.  the 3y06 was the first reading - and it was really really dark for me. Literally orange mask. 3y03 or 3y04 seems more like my match

I've now had mine done 3x just out of curiosity. My number keeps getting more yellow & darker even though I'm loosing what little tan I had from the summer. 

I was color matched twice.  

The first time I was color matched to 3Y05

The 2nd time matched to 1R06

The color matching wasn't even consistent with the color undertone.

I actually normally wear MAKE UP FOR EVER
HD Invisible Cover Foundation 

115 Ivory - for light skin with pink undertones

I just checked and the MUFE HD 115 that I usually use is listed as Panatone color 1R03. So yes, I would say that the IQ system scans tooooo dark 

seems to be too dark on most people :/ 

Mine was so far off it was laughable.  I am wearing MUFE 110 (pink porcelain) which is an exact match to my jawline.  However, with faded freckles and a bit of sun this year, it goes on a bit light but still works fine.  I wanted to see if the next shade down would work since it seemed like a significant jump on the swatch.  Plus I wanted to know what other brands would work since many run yellow as opposed to pink and yellow based foundations have a tendency to go orange on me.  The color IQ came up with 120 and a similar "perfect cinnamon" in Givenchy.  Ok, first of all, I am *pink.*  When I swatched these, they looked like Simpsons yellow on my skin.  And they were like 5 shades too dark.  

So yeah, the technology isn't good at all.

I am fair, with blue eyes and red hair.  I was matched as 4Y06, which I think is a little too dark for me.  I didn't know my undertone, however, so was happy to find out that it was yellow.  Makeup that I bought on my own that are color matched to me are 021 Linen in the Dior line, 15 nude in Sephora Microsmooth powder foundation, and light-medium in tarte 12 hour amazonian clay foundation.

I was disappointed with the number of choices available to me.  While this was an interesting exercise, I think I will stick to my tried and true.

Have you ladies tried findation?  It's a site when you type in foundation brands/colors that work for you, then it gives you color matches for other brands.  Pretty cool!

Personally, I don't feel techology is quite that intelligent when it comes to determining what a persons undertone is or what products work. I could be wrong here, but I am all for old fashion swatching on your jaw. It's more accurate even if lighting in the store is rather crappy. I did one round on the color IQ and I was considered like 6 shades in on some foundations. I know I am definitely in the ivory range maybe 2 - 3 shades in tops. However I am skeptical now of the whole color IQ system. I was really excited before. Also I believe that your selections when offered as suggestions after it's done could only be a fraction of what you might actually be able to wear !. Just my thoughts here !. 

Best of luck with this lol 

BTW - My reading was 2R07

I got it done but I want it redone. The very first time I did it I went in with a full face of makeup so there's no way I got an accurate reading. The SA took a face wipe and wiped off 3 small areas--side of forehead, cheek, and chin and took pictures with the device. It popped up as 3y06. I knew that was too dark because when I did the color IQ online where you put in your current foundation and it gives you a different match, I got a much much lighter code. She put a bobbi brown liquid foundation on me and it was wayyy too dark.

I think its a neat tool so I do want to walk in with a bare face next time and try it again, but I don't think its perfect.