Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC beauties! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful, in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to

(1) use what you have / shop your stash; and

(2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. The themes / prompts are guides and if you have a certain interpretation or approach you want to take with it, go for it! Not every product has to fit squarely within the theme; it can be just one item.

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.27.2024]

Spoiler
Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)
Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule and/or The "More Play Time With My Sephora Savings Event Hauls" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. OR show us what beauties you picked up during the Sephora Savings Event. Now's the time to play (or to keep playing) with that newness (and those beloved restocks) you hauled during the sale! 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

FAQs: [Updated 4.28.2024]

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube channel), Makeup Bag Monday, where she rotated her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. Every Monday, she shared the products she selected for the upcoming week and provided detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews, but will at least try to include a weekly recap (probably at the end of the week) of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

What if I don't have enough products to fit the theme for a full face?

No need for your entire makeup capsule to fit the weekly theme(s). Just one will do. And, even if you don't have one that fits squarely within a theme, feel free to post your makeup capsule. We'd love to see what you're using and hear your feedback on the products as you put them to use. 

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@missjeanie, here are swatch comparisons

for the Kosas BB and the Missha BB. 

Kosas BB vs Missha BB.jpeg

The Missha has a more opaque finish from the get go. I can get some opacity with the Kosas on the second layer. 

@itsfi Ohhhh very interesting swatch.  1.  Thank you for listing the shades.  Real life shade swatches like this are the bread and butter for those of us who mostly order online!  And 2.... Do you find the Kosas BB patchy?  Or is it just super sheer? I'm kind of intrigued more and more.  Not that I need another base product.... 

@missjeanie, I'm thinking it's just that the formulation is on the sheer side, because I didn't see the separation when I applied a second layer on my face. I'm hoping to find a day where I can test it on its own for a full day when I'm doing a mix of different activities, including seeing how it holds up to steam from big ol' bown of pho noodles. It probably won't happen this weekend but soon; I'll let you know how it wears.

lol, "Not that I need another base product...." I feel like I hear some form of that phrase all the time. And then it gets validated when I'm going through a bin of products for a weekly capsule. Or in the case of this week, for a daily capsule. 

Totally up for doing real life swatches! With some shades, the camera on my phone does this auto adjusting thing that makes no sense and I can never adjust it to make it photograph how it actually looks in real life. I'm pretty sure it's the lighting and angles so I just need to experiment a little more.

@itsfi Spring sale is literally a week done and I'm already making a list for the next time I see a cute gwp.... or just... a 'treat yo self' moment.  Maybe just a Friday night.  So, my low buy isn't going terribly well. 

Oh, I'm so intrigued by what has made your list @missjeanie 😍  

Has it really only been a week since the sale?!! My goodness! Here I was giving myself a pat on the back for being mostly good ... errr, fairly good? Ummm, for not buying everything I wanted since the Sephora sale ended. (I went to a couple of events, and, yes, there were purchases made.)  Yes, I didn't buy everything I wanted to. Sure, my wish lists have been getting awfully long ... 

@itsfi a few events eh???? I have a few blushes I had resisted during the sale that I'm going to pick up.  I'm also looking at a few items from Bite Lip Lab after @Sunnysmom reminded me that they sell pre made items.  The new Glow Recipe SPF Dew Balm looks like something I'd want to try for science.  And then YSL had to release a tinted balm, and Chanel has those super pretty sun kissed powders with the three shades.  And I have no idea why but I saw a photo of Byoma lip products, and now i feel the need to try them.  Okay... I might need to narrow this list down a bit lol... low buy... I'm on a low buy!!!! 

@itsfi, congrats on the latest declutters.  Also sounds like your blended capsule was a success, and oooh, I love that you got your makeup done.  Always a treat.

Now you've got me wanting to bust out my F80.

I've been using a beautyblender or my fingers a lot more lately for foundation @danielledanielle, and it was nice to use the Sigma brush. Will have to mix it up more with what I use going forward. 

Ohhhh, so fun to have my makeup done. Gave me a chance to chat it up with people about skincare and makeup, and to learn some new tips and tricks too. Made me happy! 

My Make up artist founded brands capsule from last week.  I have quite a few items that fit the theme and tried to pull out some things that are much older and haven't been used in ... years. 

436784344_1182370779796853_6629758131364628105_n.jpg

Spoiler
-This MUFE palette was one that I used and loved to death years ago.  it was harder to find cooler toned palettes and the MUFE matte formula was a winner for me. That said, it's been sitting unused for way too long and was the first thing I thought of when looking to pull for this week.  I added in two singles I had help the palette out and add in a shimmer shade. 
- I knew that I wanted to keep the NARS lip oil in this week and thought that some Audacious lipsticks would work well with it.  These were favourites around the same time I was in love with the MUFE palette so I was feeling like I was back in time.  The brighter shade was nice to have with a burst of warmer weather we had and felt very spring/summer like.
-The Nars powermatte... I like the formula but this shade just wasn't what I wanted this week so it only got used once. 
-The Westman Atelier lip balm/gloss is such a nice formula and I actually went and checked to see if there were any other shades I wanted to pick up last week after using this one again.  This is one that I could easily toss into a purse all summer and never tire of. 
-The MUFE pencil is used as a lipliner and as much as they have a ton of shades I enjoy... I wish there were a few more.  I could easily see this formula being the only ones I repeat buy for some time going forward.  They're stiff enough to last, but just soft enough to not tug. 

436340986_3805199429716130_5823119048354467616_n.jpg

Spoiler
-I pulled the MUFE Watertone because I was looking at some products for the sale that were more tints than foundations.  I used this last week and the first few days this week and I used a lot of product.  My skin however was looking mighty dry.  I'm not sure if the excessive dryness was due to some overused retinol or that this just didn't work for me.  It was so full at the start of the week that I'd be shocked if I'd previously used it more than twice.  I'm interested in seeing if I can use this mid summer when I'm at my oiliest and get a good result.  If so, I'd try to pan this simply due to how quickly I think I could go through this and the good shade match. 
-The MUFE concealer... is at least half done, and is another candidate for panning.  The shade is good, but the formula just isn't a favourite.  It doesn't quite set down and I'm someone who touches my face often enough that it ended up under my finger nails and that's just not what I'm aiming for. 
-The Nars multiple was one of the first multiple products I'd ever used and it really triggered my love of cream products.  The colour still stands up and while it's not my most pigmented blush... I've no doubt been going hard on blush and this was a nice switch up for a more subtle look.  I need to use this or lose it.  I probably should have lost it years ago.  
- It cosmetics brow pencil, Nars eye primer and Bobbi Brown corrector are items that have popped up in several of my capsules.  I actually managed to finish the brow pencil so I'm happy to have one more done and getting closer to getting back to the format I love (tinted brow gels).  
- Makeup by Mario cream bronzer is something I would never have purchased, but that I love.  It's light enough in pigment that it blends easily and doesn't look overboard on my lighter skin tone. I'm very happy I was gifted this in gratis!!
-MAC blush... wasn't used all week.  I was quite happy with the Nars multiple and didn't reach for this at all!

So I've been finding a few things here and there that I'd love to pan.  I've now got a box of products going that once I've decided I should pan them, they'll be put into and as I finish one of my project pan items, I'll pull from the box.  I think this is a better idea for me than putting them back into my stash simply for ease of choice when I need a panning item and to keep my stash a little neater looking. 

Ooh, I like the way you went about this capsule @missjeanie; the secondary theme of revisiting older products is great - I’m sensing a possible future capsule theme. 🤔  

The formula and consistency on that WA lip product is really good. I’m trying to be good  better about limiting the number of lip products I add to my stash but that line is one I’d consider. I would love to see a few more shades added to her lineup. 

Yay for finishing a brow pencil - that’s no small feat! Good on you! Tinted brow gels, you say? Do you have any favorites in that category? 

@itsfi The WA formula is just so nice.  I came close to picking up another, and won't rule it out in the future.  Very much a liquid balm feel to it.  

I quite enjoy the Glossier and the Kosas formulas for a tinted gel.  Though I must say I haven't explored the category too much and tend to just revisit those I enjoy.  Brows for me are never really an exciting make up category.  Somehow I've amassed quite a few pencils though.  Mini goal for the year is to work through them and get back to the gels. 

@missjeanie I’m with you on the Mario cream bronzer. It’s such a great lightweight formula. I love Nars Audacious lipsticks, too. They’re getting discontinued and I’m wondering what Nars is going to replace them with. 

Oh no @makeitup305 I didn't know the Audacious line was being discontinued.  I guess like all good things...

@missjeanie I know. I think NARS is redoing a lot of their core line so we'll see what they replace them with. They just re-released their lip crayons

@makeitup305 I remember when their lip crayons were such a hot product!  I'll have to keep an eye out for what they're coming up with.  

Week 16 - The BIC Inspired (Spring Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule

WORKWEEK CAPSULE:

16 - BIC Inspired  Sephora Sale.jpg

Spoiler

My larger capsule for the week includes a mix of tried-and-true products, along with a few BIC-inspired makeup items and some beauties from the Sephora sale (🛍). Products with an asterisk (*) after its name means this week will be the first time I’m putting it to use. 

COMPLEXION
😎  I’m testing a few sunblocks and will be using them as a face primer when I use the about face foundation - I tend to wear BB creams without primer and want to see how the Kosas BB performs without one.

🎶  
about face The Performer Skin-Focused Foundation - I picked one up @missjeanie because I need more foundation, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for the heads up about the supersized doe foot applicator but regular side opening through which it much pass 😲 A few foundation splatter across my sink but none on my clothes! 👍

🛍   Kosas BB Burst Tinted Moisturizer Gel Cream with Copper Peptides*

🛍   SEPHORA COLLECTION Best Skin Ever Multi-Use Hydrating Glow Concealer*

🌻  ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Mini On 'Til Dawn Mattifying Waterproof Setting Spray 1 oz/ 46 mL - seeing @sister13 and @danielledanielle talk about the special edition Wicked one reminded me I had this beauty in my stash.

🖌  Sigma F80 Flat Kabuki - I've been using my fingers or a beautyblender more for foundation application but seeing @Cissy63 mention brushes and a Sigma brush as a favorite over on the Makeup Madness Challenge 2024 – FINAL ROUND: Lip Oil vs. Cream Blush (Thursday, 2pm Pacific Time is ths cut off for voting in the final round), it made me pull out this F80 Kabuki and reminded me how much I really enjoy this brush! 

🐐  Kevyn Aucoin The Concealer Brush

CHEEK
🌺  Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Hibiscus - a new love thanks to @danielledanielle's rec and this capsule challenge 💗 

EYES
🐐  NARS Pro-Prime™ Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base (not shown)

🍬  Makeup Revolution I Heart Chocolate Palette - Salted Caramel* - @idanyd creates stunning eye looks and has showcased some lovely palettes from the I ❤️ Revolution collection on the forums, including the  What are you wearing today Pt2 thread. I was gifted this palette a while back but had never put it to use ... until this week.

👁  LAWLESS Mini The One & Done Volumizing Mascara Black -
 this will get rotated into the routine every few days. Still debating whether it should stay or go. Maybe I’ll try layering it with the Sephora Collection waterproof mascara? @Sunnysmom is a fan of layering mascara. 

🛍  #SEPHORA COLLECTION Love The Lift Curling + Volumizing Waterproof Mascara Ultra Black 

🎁  PATRICK TA Major Brow Lamination Gel 0.17 oz/ 5 mL (Sephoria) - giving this one the good ol' college try... will keep you posted on how this goes @ather 

🐐  SEPHORA COLLECTION PRO Shadow Brush #15 

LIPS 
🌺
  Ami Colé Desert Date Cream Blush & Lip Multistick Hibiscus

💋  Cheekbone Beauty Sustain Lipstick - Keyah - available at Sephora Canada, this was a brand I first learned about from @Guessgal a few years back. I really like this shade. 

💄  tarte Maracuja Juicy Lip Balm Rose - while INNBeauty Pina Colada lip oil has @Loretta55's heart, I always think of her when I spy a tarte juicy lippie in my stash, or anywhere! 

💋  Fenty HOLLA'GRAM Gloss Bomb Crystal Holographic Lip Luminizer (limited edition) - this one is a beauty not just for the gorgeous holo shimmer it imparts (@danielledanielle) but for fun memories of Sephora SoHo (I think it was the SoHo store), aka Sephoria NYC 2023 Day 1 - Plan B 😍

🪴 MAKE UP FOR EVER Artist Color Pencil Longwear Lip Liner 808 Boundless Berry - saw @Samtian wearing this as an all over lip color (it looked beautiful on her!) on the 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge 

WEEKEND WEAR:

16 - BIC Inspired  Sephora Sale 2 - Weekend.jpg

First Impressions

It's only Day 3, but I've already put a Workweek and a Weekend look to a full day (10+ hours), but so far, most of the products are working out very well. 👍  Really enjoying a few oldies-but-goodies, namely, the Sigma F80 and the One/Size setting spray. Have you tried the ONE/SIZE by Patrick Starrr Mini On 'Til Dawn Mattifying Waterproof Setting Spray 1 oz/ 46 mL @makeitup305? It seems like one that might come in handy for the spring and summer for you.

@itsfi Love the SC Pro brushes.  I swear over half the brushes I use now are from the line.  Great items here for the week. 

There are some beauties within the brush collection @missjeanie! 😍 Curious to know, what are your faves from the line?

@itsfi I have a few of the 55 which I think is billed as a foundation brush but I use it for powder.  Then I love 27 a fluffy shadow brush that I can do my entire look with, and I think may be discontinued.  I also really like 38 and 22.  

Do you have favourites?  Fan of the line? 

@missjeanie, I do like the line - some are ones that I consider must haves for my collection. I’m partial to fude type brushes but definitely have faves outside of that. I’ve been slower to try everything from the pro line (more just because I have plenty of brushes), but have found almost enough brushes that I like that I can use for a full face - 

♥️ 15 eyeshadow - I think I have 3 or 4 of these in my stash. 🐐 The size is great for my hooded eyes. 

️ 18 eyeshadow - pencil shape - this one I like for depositing color on my outer v - it works well with my smaller lid space and the fine lines/wrinkles I have there. 

🌸 45 concealer - nice for laying down product. The tip is nice for blemishes though I prefer the Kevyn Aucoin (discontinued) one for more precision and detailing 

🌻 50 all over setting powder

🪻 57 concealer - blending and buffing

☀️ 64 foundation - Real Techniques had a couple of buffing and face brushes a few years back that I loved for applying foundation. This one isn’t a dupe but it’s not bad

🌙 71 concealer - corner of nose, under eye - the shape and design of the tip is unique and super functional 

80 powder bronzer

💫 88 cream bronzer

🪴 99 blush 

Looks like I need brushes for highlight,  contour, and lips to round out my SC Pro brush collection. 🤔 

I'm going to have to check my stash when I get up and see which of these I have on hand @itsfi .  Not that I need another brush at all... but sometimes I maybe let them sit too long between washes so I need spares to rotate in. I've been tempted so many times to pick up some handmade brushes... Do you notice a big difference in how the make up lies after application, or is it more of a luxe experience? 

17 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos305
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1