Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

Hey BIC! One of my goals this year is to try to put together a makeup capsule with a handful (okay, maybe a large handful in my case) of products that will work for me for an every day look and special occasions. Given my current collection, I won't need to be starting from scratch. 😂 So, I'm treating this capsule makeup collection challenge like a shop my stash and declutter adventure all in one. Would love for you to join me if and when you can.

If this is something that interests you or just piques your curiosity, please feel free to use this thread to document and challenge yourself to (1) use what you have / shop your stash; (2) determine which products in your collection to keep, which to declutter, and which to try again another day. All with the goal of curating a set of makeup products that will help you achieve a signature look - and maybe a few additional products for other looks in your daily life, including looks for special occasions or events.

Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg

Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg

Every week, I will post a group of makeup products I plan to choose from (i.e., shopping my stash) for my looks during the week. I plan to post a photo of the products and tag those that may be available at Sephora. To keep things interesting and add a bit of fun to this experiment, I will try to have most of the products used fall within the weekly prompts/themes (see below), but, even though I have a fairly robust amount of makeup, there will be weeks when there may only be a few items that will fall squarely within that particular week's theme. All that to say, if you don't have a product that fits wholly within the prompt, don't let that keep you from participating. 

CURRENT WEEKLY THEMES: [UPDATED 4.16.2024]

Spoiler
Week 14 (April 1 - 7) - The "Do Over" or "Take 2" Makeup Capsule - Was there a prompt or theme in the previous 13 weeks that you loved and want to repeat, with or without changes? Or that you want to "do over"? Or, was there a capsule that you missed out on and want to give a try?  If so, this is your week! Don't remember all the prompts we've been through over the last 3 months? No problem. Check out the Past Makeup Capsule Collection Challenge Themes

Week 15 (April 8 - 14) - The Makeup-Artist-Founded Brand Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - Curate a capsule that includes one or more products from makeup brands created by makeup artists.  A non-exhaustive list of celebrity makeup-artist-founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below. 

Or, did you pick up any makeup beauties during the Sephora sale that you want to play with? Share your newness with us and incorporate one or more of the goodies you hauled during the sale into your capsule this week. 

Week 16 (April 15 - 21) - The BIC Inspired (Spring Edition) Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - Has there been a product (or two, or three...) you were inspired or enabled to pick up after seeing or hearing one (or more) of your fellow BIC beauties talk about or show it off in a look of the day?  Incorporate one or more BIC enabled product into this week's capsule. Or, curate a capsule with one or more items you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event. Or, combine both prompts this week. 

Week 17 (April 22 - 28) - The "Green" Makeup Capsule and/or The Sephora Spring Savings Makeup Capsule - In honor of Earth Day (April 22), let's assemble a "green" capsule for the week. What does it mean to be "green", you ask? You tell me! Here are a handful of meanings "green" can have - 
  • Sustainable
  • "Clean" by whatever standard you want - Clean at Sephora? Natural? Non-toxic? 
  • The color - either the product itself or the packaging, or both
  • New or young
  • Other - your definition (oh, inquiring minds will want to know, so do also share your definition of green)

Or, if you have one or more products you picked up from the Sephora Spring Savings Event, show them off with a capsule highlighting one product or all of them. A shop-your-Sephora sale-stash, if you will.  

Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or rediscover any tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. Or, if you just want more time to spolight your newness from the Sephora Spring Savings Sale Shopping Spree, have at it and put together a makeup capsule with one or more products from your sale purchases! 

Upcoming Makeup Capsule Challenges: [Updated 4.16.2024]

Spoiler
Week 18 (April 29 - May 5) - The April 2024 Edition of "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - Were there makeup products from April that stood out to you - good or bad? Did you discover any new (or tried-and-true) favorites this month? Are there products you've been on the fence about? Create a makeup capsule with one or any combination of these ideas. 

Week 19 (May 6 - 12) - The AAPI Owned / Founded Beauty Brand Makeup Capsule - To celebrate Asian American Pacific Islander Month, let's curate a capsule with one or more makeup products from AAPI owned or founded makeup brands. [NOTE: A non-exhaustive list of AAPI owned or founded beauty brands can be found in the spoiler below ⤵️]

Week 20 (May 13 - 19) - The "Sleeping Beauties" Makeup Capsule and/or The "OMG, More Stuff From the Sephora Spring Savings" Makeup Capsule - I was inspired by the theme of this year's Met Gala, "Sleeping Beauties" - go through your stash and create a makeup capsule with beauties that have been sleeping in your stash and could use love and attention. Or, were there makeup products you picked during the Sephora Spring Savings Sale that are just now making their way to you (or that you are now getting to)? Put them in a capsule, by themselves or mix in a few "Sleeping Beauty" products. 

Week 21 (May 20 - 26) - The "My Best Self" Makeup Capsule - May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Curate a capsule with products that make you look and feel your very best

Week 22 (May 27 - June 2) - The May 2024 "On Top" or "On The Chopping Block" Makeup Capsule - it's that time again, curate a capsule with your standout or favorite products this month or products you're trying to decide whether to keep or declutter. 

AAPI Owned / Founded Makeup Brands
Spoiler
Below is a non-exhaustive list of makeup brands founded or co-founded / owned or co-owned by Asian American Pacific Islanders (AAPI) - the brands listed are primarily ones that offer makeup / color cosmetics.  To the extent the founder's identify cannot be determined by the brand name, his/her/their name(s) will appear in parens next to the brand name. Brands with an asterisk (*) next to their name denotes that that brand is available at Sephora.

CLE Cosmetics (Lauren Jin)
CTZN Cosmetics (Aleena Khan, Aleezeh Khan, and Naseeha Khan)
Em Cosmetics (Michelle Phan)
* Glow Recipe (Christine Chang and Sarah Lee)
Jason Wu Beauty
Kimchi Chic Beauty (Kim Chi)
* Kulfi Beauty (Priyanka Ganjoo)
Live Tinted (Deepica Mutyala)
Mango People (Sravya Adusumilli)
Meloway Makeup (Aiden Kim and Ash Kim)
One/Size by Patrick Starrr
Orce Cosmetics (Yu-Chen Shih)
Ourself (Lauren Otsuki)
Patrick Ta Beauty
Purlisse Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Seraphine Botanicals (Sylvia Phann)
The Creme Shop (Theresa and Lawrence Kim)
Tower 28 Beauty (Amy Liu)
U Beauty (Tina Craig)
Wander Beauty (Divya Gugnani)
Yensa Beauty (Jennifer Yen)
Youthforia (Fiona Co Chan)

Q&A:

Spoiler

What is a capsule makeup collection?  

A capsule makeup collection is a selection of makeup products that can be used to put together different looks for a variety of occasions. For some of us, that may mean a group of essential products for your everyday look plus a few extra items for a more glam or dramatic look; and, for others of us, that may mean, a lineup of our holy grail product(s) in each makeup category. My ideal capsule makeup collection probably falls somewhere in between - we'll (hopefully) find out at the end of the year! I don't see myself as a minimalist, but I don't have an extensive collection of makeup either. I appreciate the collections of people who fall within both camps but I float somewhere in between - on the one hand, my brow product collection would earn a gold star if we were using a minimalist approach to makeup; my lip product lineup, on the other hand, would not. 🤣 It would most definitely not.  

Why have a capsule makeup collection?  

Everyone will have their own reasons for having (or not having) a more streamlined makeup collection. Over the years, I've just become more interested in having less beauty products on hand (well, except for lip products, lol) - a handful of items I use or reach for more frequently with maybe a few additional products that are go-to's for me for special events or occasions.  Don't get me wrong, I love trying new products and I don't see that changing. I just like the idea of having a simpler collection (I appreciate that "simpler" can be relative), curated to my needs and lifestyle.

Why Weekly? 
A few years ago, beauty & lifestyle blogger Serein Wu, did a weekly series (on her blog and YouTube), Makeup Bag Monday, where she would rotate her makeup bag each week with new product launches and makeup already in her collection. She would post every Monday the products she selected for the upcoming week and provide detailed makeup reviews on the makeup she used for the previous week. I may not post detailed reviews but will at least try to include a recap of what products I like and which ones didn't work for me.  If weekly works for you, great. If not, feel free to join in based on what works best for you.

Other Challenges On the Forums Worth a Look:
Spoiler

These are just a few of the many, MANY challenges on the forums. I've included links to ones that are active and will try to update accordingly. Some I participate in regularly, others I post to every so often, and others still I visit to learn about makeup products, tips and tricks, or just to see what's going on. 

Shopping Your Stash / Using What You Have

* Project Pan: Pan It! - 2024 Challenge
* Foil Challenge: Foil Challenge

* No Buy / Low Buy:2022 & 2023 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET - to be updated with link to 2024 thread

Nails
* With Monthly Themes: Monthly Manicure Challenge 2024

Makeup:
* With Weekly Themes: Makeup Challenge of the Week
* Lipstick/Lip Products Focused: 100 Days of Lipstick Challenge 
* Eyeshadow Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeshadow Challenge
* Eyeliner Focused: 100 Shades of Eyeliner 
* Cheeks Focused: [Edited 1.20.2024] Cheek Challenge Winter 2024: Mocktail Makeup

Skincare:

Fragrance
* Home Fragrance: Home Fragrance Thread

I'm excited to see what results from this experiment and I welcome everyone to join in this adventure, whenever and however is most effective for you. 

Re: Capsule Makeup Collection Challenge

@itsfi I convinced myself earlier that I'd get one during the sale and if I like it I've got more than enough points for a few Rouge Rewards.  That way it'll be like I'm not spending any money, so girl math says any of those purchases are free!

That’s an excellent strategy. A great way to use your resources wisely. Well played @missjeanie! 👏🏼 

Mimosa and masking sound like a good self care moment @missjeanie! As well as an opportunity to think about these important decisions to be made - 1 SPF balms or 3? 😆 Here’s the thing, for such a significant decision as this, should you go for something stronger than a mimosa? 

@itsfi You might be right... I'm 100% willing to swap in some citrus flavoured vodka for the OJ.  My wallet may hate this idea tomorrow... but that's a tomorrow me problem. 

@itsfi  Ooooo thanks for the comparison!! Omg I need Plum Blossom now. And adding to cart. I mean it’s SPF so I need it right?!?

I love @missjeanie’s approach to the Tatcha SPF lip tints, and you know I’m a fan of getting in your SPF everywhere, @ather as are you, so yes, you do need it. 😍

@itsfi @ather SPF is pretty much health care... wouldn't want to take a risk with our health.  😁

💯 @missjeanie, that is so true! @ather Do it for your health! 😉 

@itsfi @missjeanie  I’m on board with that too!!! 

Congratulations on getting a project done and out of the way @itsfi 🙌 And two capsules, your so organized! 🤩

You weekend capsule has such a easy breezy vibe to it, I agree the two lippies are going to be a sweet match. 🌸

I think coffee and makeup time is a beautiful pairing. I may try this habit stack. These are both things I do and enjoy in the morning, but usually seperate.  😉 

@CynthieLu, we can share notes on how the coffee + makeup works out as a habit stack. I put a post-it on my bathroom mirror that says "coffee + makeup" as a reminder for tomorrow morning. No to decide if I will do my entire routine whilst sipping on a cup of coffee or if I'll just do a portion of it while enjoying my morning coffee.

Ooooh, gloss bomb over the Ami Stick is a brilliant idea @itsfi 

@danielledanielle, I think it will make for a fun pairing! I sorta want to do it before the weekend. 🤔 Hmmm, maybe I will. 

So... I'm not a six product kinda gal... Nor am I a 5 minute or less face gal... I think I get ready pretty fast, but I'm doing a bunch stuff all at once when I'm getting ready.  That said... I was willing to try downsizing.  

I started out with everything below except the OH Colour Corrector.  After day 1... it got added in.  I think what I learned this week is that I'm not a minimal gal.  And that's okay.  My makeup day will pretty much always have a full face in it.  

433020029_2243730079301894_6724400584515797476_n.jpg

Spoiler
So I really like all of these products.  I needed to do an overhaul/clean up of my bathroom counter so it was a good time to narrow it down and get some other products back into their homes.  I realized that I was trying to pick products that I could use as more than one step.  I'd like to be someone who can feel comfortable walking out the door with just a little concealer and lipstick... but that's not me.  
I picked the Nars Sheer Glow since it's a reliable product for me.  I know that I never need to fuss with it, so I can apply quickly with a sponge and then also build it.  I wasn't intending to bring in a colour corrector at first so I was hoping this and the concealer would be enough.  
The ND concealer has been love at first application.  It's pigmented, a good viscosity, and blends so easily.  That said... this is fiscal year end.  I'm trying to do a million things all by very hard deadlines and working more than I should be to do that.  Add in hosting Easter for a group of 16 at the last minute... my dark circles needed the colour corrector.  
I chose the OH Corrector since it's in stick format and there's a new shade being released.  This shade apricot is a bit dark, but banana is a little light.  I usually mix both together but found going light with the apricot is okay too.  I think I like the formula enough that I'll be picking up the new peach shade to try.  This week was a bit of a test for that purpose. 
I chose the Kokie setting powder simply because there's not a ton of product in there.  I have a few powders that I want to pick up, so I'd like to work through a few that I have here already.  This one feels like one that I should be able to finish off soon if I keep at it.  On top of that... it's a good powder.  It doesn't deepen, and it doesn't look cakey at all.  This should be an easy one to use up.
I chose the MAC Rebel lipstick because I can use it full pigment as a lipstick, as more of a blotted stain, and I've used it successfully as a blush on many occasions in the past in a pinch.  Didn't disappoint at all this week.  
The Nars Lip Oil is one I re-discovered a few weeks ago and keep reaching for.  I'm someone who really likes to have a lip oil or gloss to pop on through the day and this one is easy.  It also fits nicely with the shade of the MAC. 
The Kosas brow gel is a quick and easy product.  I'm hoping to use up some brow pencils since I seem to have a stash from before I discovered my love of tinted gels.  They just take longer for me to use in the morning.  It was nice to jump back to this product this week... but I'll move back to my pencils to get them some use for a while again.
The Fenty mascara... is just okay.  I do have to say that this little sample has had quite a bit of product in it.  It does smudge a bit if I'm touching my eyes too much, and it just doesn't give as much volume as I prefer.  I'm good to finish this off, but won't be purchasing. 
I did try to use this as a liner one day by using an angled brush to pick up product off the bristles.  I don't think this is something I'll be doing again lol.  It's just not the formula for it, and I have better luck doing this with shadows. 
I chose the Dior palette because I know it, it's an all in one for me, and it contains a primer.  This is just such an easy to use palette for me.  This week has me wondering if I should be looking at the other cool toned version.  I mean... no, I shouldn't... but... they're just easy to use and travel well.  

This wasn't as bad as I thought, but... I'm glad to go back to a full face this week lol.  I think I'm often on auto pilot in the mornings so I'm able to use more products more efficiently than trying to use the same products in multiple ways. 

@missjeanie I appreciate your honesty on this theme. I feel the same. I think for me I enjoy taking my time to get ready in the morning. Although, this morning I forgot to change my alarm and I had 15 min total to do everything before running out the door. Do you find the Olehenriksen formula layers well under concealer better than liquid formulas? I revisited NARS Radiant Creamy Liquid Color Corrector Light and the Fenty one and I found it creased under Concealer. Any tips or tricks? I know you are a colour Corrector fan.

@Mellmars1185 I've been using the OH correctors this week and have found they work well for me with all of the different concealers I use.  I haven't tried the Nars corrector.  I do have the Fenty and I have to say, it's not a favourite.  I find the Fenty one is too thin and doesn't sink in to my skin well.  It's also possible that I'm not leaving it to sink in long enough with the amount that I'm putting on to make up for the lighter pigmentation? 

I think my all time favourite was an older Urban Decay naked one that was discontinued years ago.  Current favourite... the Kaja Cat Nap Under Eye Brightener Peach-Tone Brightener .  I'm curious to try the HUDA BEAUTY #FAUXFILTER Under Eye Color Corrector Peach this sale though.  

Do you have one you like better than others?

@missjeanie Ohh thanks for sharing. I had the Huda colour corrector in my cart, but I have 3 open right now. I do like the Nars better than the Fenty. However I do find them both thin and don't wear well on me throughout the day...even after setting with powder.. i stopped using the Olehenriksen because I found it too dark. I also wasn't trying it with Concealer over top. I think I will try it with my HUDA BEAUTY #FauxFilter Matte Buildable Coverage Waterproof Concealer Coconut Flakes 2.7 Neutral and see how it wears. By the time I am done with my current CC's, hopefully there will be another sale ☺️

@Mellmars1185 Ah.... I always wear a concealer over the correctors.  Though if I find juuuuust the right shade I can get away without it.  I find the Bobbi Brown Under Eye Corrector is one of those for me.  Do you like the Huda concealer?  I'm always curious about all the concealers!

@missjeanie I am still testing the Huda concealer. I like the formula. However, I was layering colour corrector underneath it and was noticing it creasing. I will test it out without in some different ways to get a better opinion on it. I will check out the BB

@missjeanie, I'm impressed that you gave the 6 products in 5 minutes or less a try - I know it's outside of your usual routine. Ahhhh, NARS Sheer Glow - that is such a beautiful foundation - that and their Radiant Longwear are ones I really like from the line; their tinted moisturizer too! This is the first I've heard of the brand Kokie. Which powders are on your "to try" list?

Oh, I have the new OH en route and am interested to see how it compares the banana shade. 

Love your bunny family in the background! 🐇

@itsfi I think the Kokie powder came from Ipsy?  I know I love my Givenchy and MUFE, but I've been hearing good things about the HUDA BEAUTY Easy Bake Loose Baking & Setting Powder Cupcake and I'm debating between that and the loose in either cupcake or the cherry blossom shades.  I also feel like I need to finally cave and pick up the Kosas Cloud Set Baked Setting & Smoothing Talc-Free Vegan Powder Airy , I've seen so many recommendations over the last while and since it's not a brand new product... I'm thinking it must be good.  I was contemplating the NARS Soft Matte Advanced Perfecting Powder ... but the reviews look mixed.

Any favourite bluring powders?  I'm all ears!

24 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos250
  • giphy
  • Ami (Left), Gxve (Right)
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 2.jpeg
  • Capsule Makeup Photo 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 1.jpeg
  • Makeup Capsule Week 1 - 2.jpeg
  • 20240103_175143.jpg
  • 1000021268.png
  • Week 1 - Workday 1