Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I've had a few great discoveries recently. 

Here are the two I'm loving this month:

1. Caudalie's Grape Water: Holy smokes, this stuff does a gorgeous job of refreshing your makeup without ruining it. I'm a big fan. 

2. Becca Skin Love Brighten & Blur Primer: This stuff is like glue for your face! It's super hydrating without being greasy and it fills in my pores goregously. It really does make my makeup last all day, and I love the way it smells and feels on my skin. 

@marydiva  If you love Caudalie Grape Water, you may want to never try this one below 😁

CAUDALIE - Beauty Elixir

For me, in terms of usefulness and enjoyment when using, it’s like Grape Water on steroids 😂 If it weren’t so darn hard on the wallet, I’d use it every day.

As for the primer you mentioned:

BECCA - Skin Love Brighten & Blur Primer

That’s actually the first time I’ve heard of it, so thanks for sharing your thoughts about it!

I’m not at all surprised that it’s a winner, because @beccacosmetics primers are some of my faves. 

I struggle with sensitive, combination dry/oily, acne-prone skin that needs a bit of a “glow boost,” but I don’t want a glittery face for the office. The primer that ticks all those boxes for me and gives me everything I want is:

BECCA - First Light Priming Filter Face Primer

RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

Its been well over 6 months since i discovered this, i think.. or maybe not. Its kind of “new” the Algenist collagen lip product. It doesnt exactly plump but it leaves my lips from a crusty dry mess to smoothing and chilled in like a minute. Its the perfect fix all day. I really enjoy it. Also the grande cosmetics lash. Im starting it again. It gave me good results but i stopped using it for months then i tried another brand but nope, going back to that one. My aunt thought i was wearing falsies once!

Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@Blackwhiskey  That’s awesome to hear about the Algenist collagen lip product, especially with Autumn right around the corner! Is it this one you’re referring to?

Algenist GENIUS Liquid Collagen Lip Treatment 0.34 oz/ 10 mL

Which specific Grande Lash product are you referring to in your post? The mascara or the eyelash serum? (I can’t even tag the serum because it can’t be sold in Canada, currently... 😢) Have you tried the mascara? We can get the mascara in Canada, and I’m wondering if it helps with eyelash thickness in the long term. 

Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

Yes, that is the lip product I am speaking about in Algenist brand. I was on my phone so I couldn't tag!!! Grande Cosmetics GrandeLASH-MD Lash Enhancing Serum Mini .033 oz / 1 mL

Is the eyelash serum I was referring to, I got the big sized one for 6 months from their website since you can get the holiday one still and its 99 dollars which is almost like having a discount since without holiday packaging its 120! Maybe you can get it there? 

I have not tried the mascara though nor the brow product which I kind of want to for a little patch of missing hair i have on the front of my brow. 

This product has achieved holy grail status in my regular routine. If it had an account on BIC, I’d give it Boss III status 😉

Laura Mercier Flawless Skin Face Polish 3.4 oz/ 100 mL

This is the first time in my life that I’m actually able to use an exfoliant most days of the week! It doesn’t cause my sensitive skin to experience irritation, breakouts, excessive oil production, dry patches, or redness. It’s such a gentle yet effective skin polish. 

I highly recommend it to anyone with sensitive skin! 

DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum 

Sunday Riley Good Genes All-In-One AHA Lactic Acid Treatment 1.7 oz / 50 ml

MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Fineliner Ultra-Skinny Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner - (Grape)vine

BUXOM - Full-On™ Plumping Lip Polish Gloss - Dolly

Bobbi Brown Eye Opening Mascara Black

The serums are making my skin look and feel smooth and my foundation goes on flawlessly. Marc Jacobs eyeliner is just the right shade to work with my brown eyes. Buxom's Dolly works for either day or night I love it but I am most amazed and thrilled by the Bobbi Brown Mascara. I would not have guessed she makes the best mascara on the market- voluminizing, intense, lengthening without clumping. 

Xx.

RE: Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I adore Buxom lip products. My favourite is lip plumping in Katie and mudlside. I am hoarding these two colours now.

@LHHL  Thanks for sharing and tagging all your current faves! 😊

Buxom’s Dolly is one of my all-time favourites, too — it’s so versatile and looks great on so many lip skin-tones. I always get the Buxom holiday collections to restock Dolly and to get all the other beautiful shades because so many are so flattering. 

I have yet to try the rest on your list but I have samples of all except the Marc Jacobs. I really need to shop my stash more often ☺️

Ooh I meant to get the Buxom holiday set and never got around to it and I regret it. Dolly is the only Buxom shade I have at the moment but I like that I can wear it day or night if I don't have time to put on a new look after work. For the Marc Jacobs I also really it in MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Fineliner Ultra-Skinny Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner - Sub(Marine)26and I find that it stays on pretty well too. I also have MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Highliner Gel Eye Crayon Eyeliner which i like but is significantly thicker and smudgier. And I didn't tag this but for other lipglosses BAREMINERALS - Gen Nude Patent Liquid Lipstick - Can't Even, MARC JACOBS BEAUTY - Enamored Hi-Shine Lip Lacquer Lipgloss - 344 Skin Deep,and if I feel like red,NARS Powermatte Lip Pigment Starwoman, always. Also the Drunk Elephant and Sunday Riley samples that I got at Sephora each lasted me about four months so I really got to try them out before buying! Xx.

One of my newest favorite discoveries is the Covergirl Easy Breezy Volumizing Brow Gel. This is my new brush through and go brow product. It's a combination between a pomade and brow gel and it fills them in but gives them a ton of hold. I don't think it's for everyone but since my brows are on the fuller side, it does the trick!

@makeitup305  Have you tried other eyebrow gels? For example, Benefit, UD, Anastasia, etc.  If so, how does it compare to those?

They’re quite pricey so I’m sure people would love to know if the lower-priced CoverGirl dupe holds its own 😊

@PinkEvergreen I've tried a bunch of brow gels, including

MILK MAKEUP KUSH Fiber Eyebrow Gel Dutch

Benefit Cosmetics Mini Gimme Brow+ Tinted Volumizing Eyebrow Gel 1

Benefit Cosmetics 24-HR Brow Setter Clear Brow Gel with Lamination Effect 0.23 oz/ 7 mL

Anastasia Beverly Hills DIPBROW® Gel Blonde

I've also tried Glossier Boy Brow, Maybelline Brow Precise Fiber Volumizer, Wunder2 Wunderbrow, Essence Make Me Brow, Lóreal Brow Stylist Boost & Set that I can remember. 

The CG is like the Benefit Brow Setter and ABH Dipbrow gel had a baby. It's thicker and stiffer than the Gimme Brow, Boy Brow, and Kush Brow. I have kind of long brow hairs and the only products that will keep them up are the Brow Setter, the Maybelline and the CG. 

@makeitup305,

I second the Dip Brow gel! I got it in the shade Soft Brown and it makes my make up look polished. It lasts all day!

❤️ Melissa

@makeitup305  Wow, that sounds awesome!! I’m currently happy with my eyebrow situation, using:

tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse Medium Brown

But now you’ve made me very curious!! 😁

For me, it’s been Kosas Tinted Face Oil Comfy Skin Tint Tone 02

That foundation has been a game changer for me. With dry skin, an oil based foundation has been so clutch. Plus, it has a nice velvet finish - not too dewy, not too matte.

I've been dying to try this @radleyas glad you like it!

I’m really impressed by it. And I took a gamble, since it was a new brand, and something very new, in terms of the products. For me, it’s paid off. But I do think it will likely work best for dry skinned gals. I know that my skin at 25 would have found it far too rich. But now, my skin soaks those oils up! It’s wonderful.  

@radleyas This is the first time I hear of this brand, plus the first time I hear of a face oil foundation! Very interesting!

With my combination skin, I need something that sits in the middle of matte and dewy, but I know several BICers here who struggle with very dry skin and will definitely be interested in this.

Thanks for posting about it! ☺️

I’m happy to share it. I have dry skin (although less dry now that I use Drunk Elephant products). In the winter, that oil is a skin saver. But even in the summer (I’m in Southern Virginia. 93 today, and 50% humidity), it has staying power. The oils are nourishing, and I find that the color stays true. When it’s really humid, I set with Tatcha’s Satin Skin Mist (that’s another awesome new product). Keeps me in that velvet zone, without adding any weight like a powder. 

@radleyas  The Tatcha Satin Skin Mist definitely has a lot of fans. I have yet to try it but it’s on my “need to try” list for the next VIB sale because my love for my usual setting spray:

Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Makeup Setting Spray Standard Size - 4 oz/ 118 mL

...has diminished over time. I’m finding that it’s really exaggerating texture. 

testing