Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I was lucky to get that sample they had on offer just before the launch. For as tiny as it is, I’m still using it! I have heard many good things about the UD setting sprays. Unfortunately for me, it’s not a clean line, and has a bunch of things in it that annoy my sensitive, dry skin. Argh!

RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I feel like I’m constantly discovering new things. But Charlotte Tilbury’s Hot Lips 2.0 lipsticks are amazing. The colours are beautiful and the formula goes on so smoothly.

Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@KehDee  I have yet to try a single Charlotte Tilbury product 😕 I’m waiting for the next VIB sale because I am so stocked up and can’t justify a full-price luxury lipstick right now 😂 But this one will definitely be at the top of my list because sooo many people love it!

Which shades are your faves? 🎨 

RE: Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I own 1 CT lippie, 1 eyeshadow pot, and 4 2.0 lippies. I’ve only worn Glowing Jen and In Love with Olivia so far but they are both gorgeous.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@KehDee  Very pretty! Looks like I’m going to need to save up for the next VIB sale 😅

My favorite beauty thing of the last few months is (discontinued, from the sale section) Sephora Collection Black Magic Eye Makeup Remover Cloths. They're basically mini Makeup Eraser cloths, about twice the size of a regular cotton pad that you'd use to remove eye makeup.

I love trying lots of different eye looks, but it's too much effort/time/product to wash my face between every look. And it creates so much extra trash to use disposable cotton pads or wipes. The remover cloths have been perfect! I just put a little micellar water it, wipe my eye, and I'm good to go.

Makeup Eraser sells something similar on their website. Theirs are a little smaller - about the size of a regular cotton pad. They come in either rainbow or grapefruit, and they're sets of seven (Sephora's were sets of two). Hopefully Makeup Eraser's 7 Day Sets will come to Sephora soon!

@creasedshadow this is such a great idea!  i have been wanting to play around with different looks more often and this sounds like a great way to do it with less amount of hassle.  🙂  do you have to do something extra for mascara though?

I don't use anything extra for mascara, but I also don't mind if I still have a little mascara remaining since I'm usually going to be putting more on right away.

When I want to fully remove all my makeup, I stick with cleansing balms. I've never had trouble getting mascara off with cleansing oils or balms. I like CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover 3.8 oz/ 125 mL , Heimish, and Banilla Co, and I hear good things about Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 3.4 oz/ 100 mL and Drunk Elephant Slaai™ Makeup-Melting Butter Cleanser cleansing balms too.

@creasedshadow look what I found at Macy's! 😄  can't wait to try them!

mueraser.PNG

totally love cleansing balms!  I think Clinique's is my gold standard but I noticed the other day it's now up to $30!  What's up with that?  Love Green Clean too and was lucky enough to get a sample of Slaai in my latest sephora play box...like others have mentioned Slaai seems to leave a bit of a greasy film though....

I felt the same way about the Slaai cleansing balm. Weird thing is, as i get lower into the jar, it rinses off completely clean and the product seemed to have melted a bit in the jar. When i use the upper layer, it's harder to wash off. guess it's just the oils separating with the easy to rinse off portion?

Thank you for sharing that @mmmiu.😃 I had the same experience with the DE Slaai balm!

@creasedshadow  I love those microfiber makeup erasing cloths (Sephora’s and Makeup Eraser’s), but not for removing makeup. 🙂 I use mine to rinse cleanser off my face. They’re great for that—super soft, plush, and non-abrasive—especially the morning after retinol night, when my face is extra sensitive to excessive rubbing. 

To remove makeup and apply toner, I use 2 different kinds of reusable rounds. One’s made of bamboo with a velour texture. The other’s a bamboo cotton blend with a soft terrycloth texture. I bought them all on Amazon for much less than Makeup Eraser charges for their rounds. But really, I think any reusable rounds are good for folks to have vs. disposable cotton ones. 

I have been loving the fresh Sugar Strawberry Exfoliating Face Wash 4.2 oz / 125 ml. It is gentle enough to use everyday while still being able to nicely exfoliate my face. I’ve found by adding water I can customize it by either making stronger or gentler which is always a plus. However the main reasons I’ve been loving this face wash is that it cleanses my skin without drying it out or irritating it and it has even helped to clear up some of my breakouts (yay 😄). Oh forgot to mention it also smells like jam which is awesome! Fresh please come out with a face wash that smells like Nutella. I promise I’ll give you all my money lol.

@XxAudreyxX  Thanks for all the awesome info on this face wash! 👍😃 I love strawberry and I’ve definitely had my eye on this. 

Are the exfoliating bits smooth? I had an issue with this Fresh mask having exfoliating bits that felt like shards of broken glass:

FRESH - Lotus Youth Preserve Rescue Mask

@PinkEvergreen I’d say the exfoliating bits are pretty smooth. To me, the feeling/texture in terms of roughness is akin to that of sugar granules.

Okay, this won't be a revelation for a lot of people, but I found something in Sephora last week that blew my mind. There was a little display of glitter eye makeup and I happened to see CHARLOTTE TILBURY - Eyes To Mesmerize Cream Eyeshadowin Marie Antoinette and I was so drawn to it despite the fact that I generally don't do shimmer/sparkle and I have never tried a cream shadow before.

This was the most perfect shade of taupe/cool grey-plum brown, it glided on seamlessly, the shimmer was just enough for a halo effect without being obviously over the top, a little went a super long way, and it stayed all day with no primer and only a little creasing higher up on my lid. I was blown away, regular shadows with primers don't stay this well for me and it's honestly just so gorgeous and something I NEVER would have thought to buy without seeing/trying it for myself. I honestly just want to shout it from the rooftops and this is my new go-to throw on and go color

@Brutalitops  That sounds awesome! So glad you found your true holy grail eyeshadow 😁 How great is it when you find something that looks beautiful AND doesn’t crease up 👍👍

@PinkEvergreen I always think it's wild the differences in what I buy online vs what I choose in store, except the stuff in store never disappoints since I've already tried it out. Always a big day when you find a new HG 

I've had MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Microfinishing Loose Powder Standard Size Translucent - 0.29 oz/ 8.5 g for awhile but have recently been lighting patting it over my liquid eyeliner to help things stay put and it's helped to extend the wear in this sultry weather.

Also, I had really low expectations for the Goop perfumes and Cire Trudon's line but I found the Goop 01-03 and a couple of the Trudons to be pretty solid.

@pocketvenus  Interesting use of this powder! I would have never thought to use it with liquid eyeliner. 

As for the Goop perfumes, I didn’t realize that Gwyneth had moved into that territory. I guess it was only a matter of time 😉 Glad you’re enjoying them and the Trudon line!

@PinkEvergreenI just pat the teensiest bit with one of those cheap mini eyeshadow brushes 🙂 I find it works better than using primer.

Yes, her perfumes are done by the fellow behind an "all-naturals" house called Heretic Perfumes. Scare quotes because who knows what that means. Of that house, there's only one fragrance I've tried that I've found to be good, Dirty Ginger. The rest were very weak so I really wasn't expecting anything good! Maybe GP and Goop staff held him to higher standards!

1 Reply
testing