Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@tastelikewater  This sounds like a good product! Do you apply it in combination with the bandalettes, or is it an “either or” situation?

@PinkEvergreen It's definitely an either/or situation. Bandelettes need to be used on their own, 'cause if there's any slip they won't stay on. 

Hi @tastelikewater ,

OOOoooo! I am intrigued. I have some thiccness to my thighs as well and nothing is worse than when they stick and rub together when it is hot outside! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

My two best discoveries are Tatcha The Satin Skin Mist 1.35 oz/ 40 mL

and IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream Full Coverage Color Correcting Foundation with SPF 50+ Medium

I was worried that the Tatcha mist would leave my skin dry after reading a couple of reviews that mentioned that, however it just did a great job of  cutting down the oiliness of my T-zone.  It also pairs perfectly with the It Cosmetics CC cream for the same reason. I always hated how greasy I looked after a couple of hours, but these two are lifesavers for me now! So glad I tried them out.

@ParrotTulips  I’m actually in the market for a new finishing spray, so I appreciate you mentioning Tatcha Satin Skin Mist. I’ve been using Urban Decay All-Nighter Setting Spray and lately I feel like it’s really exaggerating my texture, even though I now have less than I had three years ago! Things that make you go hmmmm... 🤔

Glad to hear it’s pairing well with the IT CC cream, too! Half the battle of finding the right products is figuring out which ones actually play well together! 😅

Best discovery of past 6 months for me is Indie Lee Squalane Facial Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL

even more so than consonant HydrExtreme. It has helped my dry red irritated flaky skin after retinol mishaps. Leaves my skin like baby, absorbs completely and not greasy in thr least. 

I have been using DE Marula for more than 2 years, also tried SR Juno, Josie Maran Argan oil, YTTP oil and few others. NOTHING comes close to how awesome this one is. This has permanent spot in MU routine now every evening and sometimes in the mornings too.

@naturalooks15  I wondered about this oil. Glad to hear it’s worked wonders for you! I was just at Sephora last night but forgot to look for this... sigh... I was going to test it in-store against the Biossance 100% squalane oil (which I already have). Next time I visit a Sephora, I’ll ask for a sample! 

How do you like the Biossance one @WinglessOne ? That should be very similar to this one as well. 

I do plan to stock up on the Biossance one if they have Thanksgiving sale on it like last year. I had seen that offer but didn't know much about Squalane at that time so didn't jump on it. In my research, I saw the Biossance and Peter Thomas Roth both have same either manufacturing, supplier or a parent company (can't remember right now) and they both use the same process and extract it using yeast and it's from sugarcane. So both of those should be very similar. 

@naturalooks15  The Biossance oil is very lightweight and penetrates very quickly. I don’t use it frequently, but when I do it never makes my face feel greasy, not even my oily zone. I had some persistent dry patches earlier this year and this squalane oil helped immensely. 

I’ve never tried the PTR version but I wouldn’t be surprised if PTR and Biossance (and any other brand) used the same source. Biossance is having a 20% sitewide sale right now 🙂 but you might get a better deal in November, especially if they offer good GWP. 

@WinglessOne  Good to know. Boissance also sounds very similar to Indie Lee oil. It works wonders on dry patches, doesn't it. 

Indie Lee and The Ordinary Squalane is derived from Olives and the other two from sugarcane (bio engineered yeast, but I don't know if that makes a diff)

Thanks for the info on Boissance sale. I might just wait for Thanksgiving sale because I need to finish this bottle (Plust I have Marula FS, DS  & couple of other DS as well). If I buy that one then I'll have too many and everything will be sitting here, half used. 

I have been using the Indie Lee one for last 2+ months (I think I started it in the last week of Mar) and have barely made a dent. Bottle is still 75-80% full. I think it will be Nov before I finish this even if that.

Also, Boissance was $19 for just one day around holidays if I remember correctly. I got into Squalane in spring around Mar after I started using Retinol in Jan and then was ending up with dry red irritated skin hence totally ignored that sale (and now kicking myself :LOL). 

@naturalooks15  Wow, that sounds like an amazing product, especially considering how many others it has beaten out!

I’ve recently become more interested in squalene, so I’m going to add this to my wish list for the future. Thanks for sharing it with us!! 😊

@PinkEvergreen  Yes, totally worth it. This is one item, I bought full size without even trying a sample which I generally never do. There is An Indie Lee Discovery kit that I didn’t know about if you want to try. 

This one soaks in completely whereas there is a film on top with other oils: some thick some thin. You will know when you touch your skin next morning !!

i will probably try TO one too and post a comparison.

Indie Lee Discovery Kit

@naturalooks15  I’ll have to check out the discovery kit. Those are the best! 😊

For me the best discovery is Too Faced Damn Girl! 24-Hour Mascara 0.43 oz/ 12.7 mL

I love having eyelash extensions but I hate not being able to rub my eye get them wet being able to scrub them clean really good and i hate when they start pulling and it hurts. I have ever been able to find a good mascara that lasts all day and that doesn't make me look like a raccoon and one that give nice bold lashes. But this stuff does! I can take my makeup off and give my face a good clean but I can have awesome lashes too!!

@ather  This might become my next best discovery in next six months. I have been super happy with this but want to use it  for at least couple of month to ensure consistant good results. Agree with you, great mascara. 

@ather  I haven’t tried this yet but now I’m excited to! I’m glad you’ve had great results with it. People seem to be quite positive about it for sure 😊

I’m hoping it will show up in one of my subscription boxes. Or maybe some gratis will magically appear on my doorstep... A girl can hope lol 😂

@PinkEvergreen  yes a girl can hope!! Positive vibes!!!

2 or 3 months ago, I searched for refillable airless vacuum pump jars and bottles. Youth to the People sells almost everything in clear, unfrosted glass containers, which are terrible for the light (and air) sensitive vitamin C and antioxidants loaded in their products. I wanted to move all my YTTP stuff into product-protective containers. (I didn’t have an empty full size Lala Retro jar, otherwise I’d have just reused that for my YTTP moisturizer.) 

The jars I bought are okay. The mechanism gets kinda jerky sometimes, possibly because I didn’t get all the air pockets out of the product before I closed the jar. 

But the bottles are FANTASTIC:

20 mL = 0.676 fluid oz20 mL = 0.676 fluid oz

I keep The Ordinary Buffet in one of them; I traveled with that one and it worked flawlessly. My YTTP vitamin C serum’s in another of these, and I might move my DDG eye serum to the third bottle. These bottles aren’t fully opaque. They’re frosted “matte” plastic. I put plain white labels over them for extra coverage, and to tell me what’s in which bottle. 🙂 

@WinglessOne  Hopefully I am not bugging you too much. Do you think re-using empty Shaba pump for this DDG eye serum is a good idea? I am just not sure of some ingredients reacting between the two. Even though pump is empty, There might be tiny bit left in crevices probably. Maybe small B-Hydra pump. 

@naturalooks15 No worries! 🙂 Off the top of my head, I’m not sure if anything in Shaba would react badly with anything in the DDG serum. That’s the kind of question I’d ask a dermatologist. Meanwhile, I’d be as thorough as possible when cleaning the empty Shaba bottle. Before I filled my new airless pump bottles, I washed their insides and followed up with an alcohol rinse. I pressed the platform down, added alcohol, swirled it all around, and then pumped all the alcohol out. Then I let the bottles air dry. Buffet definitely seems no worse for wear. 

Thanks for the I for on washing @WinglessOne  I wasn’t sure I could wash these. Will try tomorrow. If I feel I was able to clean these well, I will just keep these I guess.

3 Replies
testing