Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

Thanks for the recommendation @WinglessOne!  I've been thinking how much I've grown to dislike dropper bottles for serums...how much air it's exposed to everytime I open to use the products.  May just buy this set and decant them all into it.

@angelKiss24 I used to like dropper bottles a lot, particularly the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair* serum’s plastic square bottle and plastic dropper. Until the bottle was almost empty and I had a hard time getting all the product out, since droppers never touch the bottom of their bottles. And fidgeting around with the bottle and dropper—tilting them at various angles to get all the serum I could—increased air exposure. Ugh. 

If you buy these or another set of bottles, I hope they work for you! I bought these from Amazon to get my Prime 2-day shipping, but if you Google something like “airless vacuum pump bottles,” you’ll find wholesale manufacturers/retailers you can buy from. Some of them require bulk purchases, though, and I assume you don’t wanna buy 100 of these bottles (I sure didn’t :D). Some retailers will sell you however many bottles you want, even just one. Most of them sell at least 2 sizes of these bottles, as well as airless jars. It might be worth shopping around a bit. 🙂 I kinda wanna ask Drunk Elephant who makes their airless jars. 

*I don’t use ANR anymore, but I still think it’s a pretty good serum. 

@WinglessOne  Awesome find!! I like when your not sticking your fingers in a jar and it give a good accurate amount to use. It makes me cry inside when i scoop out to much product and its on my face and i feel I'm wasting it.

@ather  Right? Also, I don’t like exposing stuff in the jar to air and light daily. I still don’t have a full size Lala because I’m working through all my DS jars (I have several), and I use that product only in the winter. But I should just buy a full size so I’ll have the big airless jar instead of all these little traditional jars. 😄

@WinglessOne  I saw these pumps and nearly bought them! Instead I ended up going with a different kind that I definitely didn’t end up loving 😐 Thanks for posting about these because I’ll definitely buy them for next time, when the other ones are finally empty!

@PinkEvergreen  Oh no, sorry the other ones aren’t working so well! I kinda feel that way about my jars: they work, but not as well as they could. Sometimes I have to hit the bottom of the jar to redistribute product or collapse air pockets before the pump will dispense anything—and that’s before the jar’s anywhere near empty, or even half empty. I need a jar with a consistently smoother pump. 

@WinglessOne  Is DDG eye serum not already in airless pump? From the pics it seems it is in an airless pump hence I was considering buying this.

@naturalooks15 

DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum

is in a tinted bottle but I do not believe it to be airless. I just finished a bottle of it. Unless my perception of airless is wrong, I didn’t fully read this thread, but I thought airless was bottles like DRUNK ELEPHANT - Lala Retro™ Whipped Moisturizer

where there is a bottom piece that pushes up product towards the top? I should really read this thread lol 

@GG84  You are right. I made wrong assumption just seeing this in a pump bottle but realize that it’s not airless. 

DDG did better packaging compared to face serum (that one is in dropper bottle) but still not airless. I wish they used airless pumps.

@naturalooks15  Yep, the DDG serum bottle has a traditional pump, and it’s hard (for me) to get serum out once it’s near empty. I’m about to restock that serum. I’ll probably buy 2 bottles this time and empty both into my 3rd airless bottle. I’ll just need a spatula or some other tool small enough to fit in the DDG bottle opening to get every last bit out. I’m sure I have one that’ll work. 

I’m not a big fan of droppers for anything but oils. The Ordinary’s glass bottle + glass dropper = something I don’t wanna travel with. And I don’t enjoy the extra steps needed in the morning to use Buffet in the dropper vs just pumping it out. 

Bobbi Brown's Long Wear Cream Shadow.  These were the first cream eye shadows I ever used.  I think I got bored with them, and moved on to other brands and products.

I recently bought the shade Heather, and I absolutely love it!  I paired it with the shade Cement.  I forgot how smoothly these apply, and how well they stay on no matter the weather.

They're on sale everywhere because they are being discontinued. 😞

https://www.sephora.com/product/long-wear-cream-shadow-P270560?icid2=products%20grid:p270560:product

@Ispend2much6  I’m glad you’re enjoying them! 😊 How would you rate your own eyelids, for those of us that struggle with cream shadows staying put? Dry, normal, or oily? 

@PinkEvergreen   That's really tough to say.  Powder shadows don't stay on very long unless I use an eye primer or liquid shadow underneath.  I touched my lids right now and they feel oily.lol

However, I live in a hot, humid climate and when I first discovered these, I wore them to many a soccer and softball game and they held up well.

i love threads like this !

i can't name a single thing, and i tend to be a creature of habit once i find products--particularly skincare products--that work well for me. but i've shifted my skincare routine a bit and in doing so have discovered a few things i think are particularly brilliant.

i use the ren ready steady glow toner in the morning (favorite discovery of the past year, though not 6 months!), which is not just my favorite acid toner i've ever used, but also it still gentle enough that i can use an entry level (gentle) retinol in the p.m. without messing up my skin barrier. my two retinol products are PIXI retinol tonic followed with Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Serum 1 oz. both of these are very gentle for a retinol product, and people who use retinols already might not see any change to their skin. but i've certainly noticed a reduction in pore appearance as well as a reduction in clogged pores and breakouts (as well as an added glow and reduction of fine lines). it's still a retinol product, though, so my OTHER favorite discovery is the REN Clean Skincare Evercalm™ Overnight Recovery Balm 1.02 oz/ 30 mLwhich soothes but doesn't break me out (i use this in place of a regular facial oil).

my most recent brilliant discovery is the SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40 which is the first facial sunscreen i've ever found that doesn't clog my pores !

@jemly  Thanks for sharing your faves with us! 😊 I’m very sensitive to retinols so I’ve struggled to find a product that’s not too harsh for my skin. I think I have a sample of the Murad in my “inventory” so I’m going to need to go digging for it now! 

As for the Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen, this seems to be THE product of the year! Everyone is absolutely raving about it on BIC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a product here so universally loved! I’m so excited to try it 😃

I can't remember if I wrote in this thread lol

Last 6 months..quite a few products actually! but my #1 is the Farmacy Honeymoon Glow serum. I can't believe I didn't get in on that earlier! It's made my skin look so fresh and glowy 🙂

@mmmiu  @faeriegirl  I’m glad you guys are getting great results with this!

I really wish I could get on this bandwagon. I tried and got booted off by my sensitive skin 😏 So the bottle is still quite full and I just found out I’m getting another one in this month’s BoxyLuxe 😂

@mmmiu I love the honey moon glow serum!❤️

For me it’s been Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen. Seriously why is it so good. 

@alexasteph  I’ve been hearing sooo many good things about it in the last month! I’m definitely going to check it out because I get hyperpigmentation very easily!! 👍👍👍

@PinkEvergreen Yes it’s awesome!! It’s like the anti-sunscreen sunscreen. And next to YSL Touché Elcat it’s the best primer I’ve ever used. It agrees with every foundation I wear and leaves a really nice natural finish on days I’m going sans makeup. I absolutely love it. 

testing