Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@PinkEvergreen  I smile a lot too. After 4 (nearly 5 now) decades of smiles, I’ve earned my lines. 😂 I don’t really worry much about them, especially since figuring out how to mostly avoid them when using concealer. But line softening is a nice bonus result of the DDG serum. 

The only thing that’ll really erase lines is an injectable filler. I’m not willing to have that done yet. Serums can target lines, but they can’t give dermal filler results. I don’t expect the DDG serum to do anything for my deeper undereye lines. But anyway, if you try this serum or the PTR one, be very patient with it. 🙂 it’ll likely take months to see a difference. 

I realllly want to try that DDG eye serum

@elise222  It’s great, depending on what results you’re after. 🙂 

@WinglessOne oh wow! These are some really solid recommendations! I never thought of using the Unseen SPF on my eyes! I had it and didn't like the silicone-y texture so I gave it away and now I wish I hadn't. I'm intrigued by both of your eye product recommendations, since it's where I have the most darkness and some spots right on my orbital bone. Maybe once I start trying Retinol I'll give it a go!

@makeitup305  If you try them, I hope they work for you! The DDG serum can’t do anything about darkness caused by sunken/hollow skin—which is why I still sometimes use concealer on my tear troughs—or hereditary dark circles, but it’s definitely erased the sun damage darkness. The % of retinol it contains is probably very low, otherwise it’d be too dangerous for undereye use. Results take time, of course. About 2.5 months after consistent nightly use, I noticed my sun damage was missing from under my eyes. Just yesterday I looked at an 8 month old selfie and noticed how much fainter my fine lines are now. The skin tightening result was immediate, though. 

FYI, DDG claims this stuff is safe to use on eyelids. I tried that twice and it irritated my eyes, so I only apply it below and beside my eyes. 

@WinglessOne thanks for the tip. Have you tried the FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Eye Cream with Triple Hyaluronic Acid?they also claim this one to be lid safe so I wonder how much retinol it actually has. I'd love to try this one too. I don't have that many wrinkles yet but I like being preventative with my anti-aging.

If you are looking for something lid safe @makeitup305 I think acyl-glutathione eyelid lift serum from Perricone is excellent. After a month, I noticed a difference in texture (less crepiness and firmer texture) it claims to lessen dark circles- mine aren’t that bad and I haven’t noticed any difference now that I used this up and getting ready to repurchase. It is spendy but never found anything else that helps the texture issue around the eye and on the actual lid. I just cashed in my points for a Rouge $100 reward to restock but am now considering the DDG one @WinglessOne  recommended

#https://www.sephora.com/product/essential-fx-acyl-glutathione-eyelid-lift-serum-P433950?icid2=produc...

@lipstick4soul thanks for the recommendation! I don't have that much texture yet but from a preventative standpoint maybe I should consider it!

@lipstick4soul  Hmm, that product sounds interesting! I’ll need to research it a bit and maybe ask my doctor(s) about it, to make sure it won’t hurt my sensitive eyes or throw my skin into tantrums. But if Ulta or Nordstrom carry it (they both sell Perricone MD), maybe I’ll use some of my reward points/money on it. Of course, I’ll have to decide which is more important to me: smoothing out my crepey upper lids and maybe lifting the hoods a tiny bit, or erasing some of my undereye darkness. Those seem to be the things unique to either this serum or the DDG serum. 

@makeitup305  I haven’t tried FAB’s eye cream, but it’s tentatively on my list of things to test. I’d need to stop using the DDG serum while using this cream, to avoid retinol overuse—though neither DDG nor FAB state the % of retinol in these products. The skin around eyes is so thin and delicate, a very low % of retinol should be sufficient. But it’d be nice to know exactly what that % is in these products. 

Based on ingredients, I think the FAB cream would be good to proactively target lines, and great for hydration/moisturization. And it contains the same skin soothing stuff that’s in FAB’s 10% AHA serum, so that should help prevent irritation. The only thing keeping me from trying it is the DDG serum I already use: I don’t wanna stop using it for the 2 months I’d test the FAB cream. 😄 But eventually, curiosity will force me to try it—maybe I’ll try it under just one eye so I can compare results. 

If you decide to try it, I’d love to hear your thoughts on it! 

@WinglessOne I might pick up the FAB during the next ULTA promo. I'm currently using up a DS of the ALGENIST - Complete Eye Renewal Balmwhich I’ve used on and off for a few years and really like. I'm trying to use that one up before I open anything else since I also have the The INKEY List Caffeine De-puffing + Dark Circle Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mLI do want to try something with a little oomph though. 

PAT McGRATH LABS FetishEyes™ Lengthening Mascara 0.27 oz/ 8 mL

Can't believe it took me so long to try it, and I bought the set that included the mini and @faeriegirl was such a sweetheart and gifted me a full size!! Thank you so much 😘 she also generously gifted me my summer life saver SUPERGOOP! - 100% Mineral Smooth & Poreless Matte Screen SPF 40

Can you tell me a bit about the sunscreen?  I have seen a lot of people recommending SUPERGOOP! - Unseen Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 40

How is this one different?  I've just GOT to up my sunscreen game, which is nonexistent.  I feel like I also need something waterproof as I sweat a lot on my forehead. @lmaster 

ETA: Do you use a primer with this?  I use the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer Standard Size - 1 oz/ 30 mLand I'd hate to have to give it up.  It's amazing.  Just wondering if you can combine the two.

@sprocketta I've not tried that version of supergoop, and I have used COVER FX - Gripping Primer

On top of the supergoop and they worked wonderfully. I don't use primers every single time I wear makeup, so I can definitely go without it. This sunscreen mattifies instantly and you don't even feel it on your skin. My makeup wears so beautifully, whereas I would look extremely oily mid-day. Nothing no oil at all. When I wear this under makeup, I don't want to take my makeup off it looks so good

That PMG mascara is my holy grail at the moment!

@lmaster   So, tell us what sets the PMG mascara apart from all the others 😊 

Do you wear the Supergoop sunscreen alone or under makeup? What kind of texture does it have?

(And how nice that @faeriegirl gifted you both!)

@PinkEvergreen the pmg mascara goes on beautifully, lifts and separates without clumping, and gives a little volume, no flaking at all. I wear the supergoop strictly under makeup. If I know in not going to wear makeup, I'll use another sunscreen (so I can at least use some of the product) 

@lmaster  Thanks for the info! I hope the PMG mascara shows up in the next Lash Stash to go. I’d love to try it. 

@PinkEvergreen I thought the PAT MCGRATH LABS - Eye Ecstasy™ Eyeshadow & Mascara Kit

Is a pretty good deal

Mine is the tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes™ 4-in-1 Mascara BlackIt's a super classic product but I had never actually tried it! It really is a four-in-one. Now I have my eyes set on the waterproof formula.

@greenbean13  I’ve tried more mascaras than I can possibly remember, but not this one. Now that I know it’s a good one, I will definitely choose it the next time it comes up as a sample option or in a set. I have yet to find my holy grail mascara, so I’m always auditioning potential winners 😊

testing