Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best discovery of the last 6 months?

I always like hearing of other people’s product successes, so I thought I’d ask: What has been your best beauty product discovery of the last 6 months? 

Mine has been BECCA - Anti-Fatigue Under Eye Primer:A2495B22-105E-468D-A379-5BB52B80C29E.jpegUpon first application, I honestly thought it had done nothing. I shrugged, continued on with my usual morning makeup routine, and went about my day. Later in the day, however, I did a double take when I looked in a mirror and saw how improved my under eye area looked! After a couple weeks of daily use, a coworker even commented that I looked younger. Who doesn’t want to hear that once in a while 😁

Re: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@PinkEvergreen it's usually around $10 when Ulta is having their 21 days event so keep an eye out! Have you tried the Covergirl Exhibitionist? It's so cheap but so good! 

@makeitup305  Oh, and thanks for the Tarte tip. Rumour has it that Ulta is finally coming to Canada. Soooo excited at the prospect of duty-free online shopping with them 😃

@PinkEvergreen oh really?! I hope so! that would be awesome for you guys. Duties are a pain!

@makeitup305  No, I haven’t. I must admit that I rarely buy full-size mascaras because I like to replace them every three months (or less) because I have sensitive eyes. Instead, I usually choose mascara samples at check-out here and at MAC, I frequently get 100-point mascara samples, and I buy Sephora Favourites Lash Stash to Go sets. 

@PinkEvergreen yeah that's a smart choice for you! Mascaras are usually the item I'm less likely to buy high end, just because I have a few from the drugstore that I really enjoy.

@PinkEvergreen You should definitely give it a go!

Mine would be the Natasha Denona mini palettes. I love how easy they are to use and how beautiful the shades are😊

@faeriegirl  Mini Lila is so stunning, isn’t it? And you need so little to get that “wow” look that I doubt I’ll ever hit pan. Which others of her minis do you like? 

@PinkEvergreen I have all 4 of the minis. Mini nude is my favorite, then mini sunset, mini star, and mini lila. I wish she would come out with a mini biba! 

For me, it's been OLAPLEX - No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Cremeand the all-natural fragrance house, Hiram Green

f89828ade7155d884b513a2249bc0e6d_e5eb02ec-35fe-41ff-8e80-9901b2f3824e

@pocketvenus  You got my attention with those colours and sleek aesthetics of Hiram Green! I checked out their website and their descriptions are very intriguing. Which one is your favourite so far?

As for the Olaplex No. 6, I heard really mixed reviews about this so I decided to wait for more reviews here before purchasing. What do you like about it? 

@PinkEvergreenIt's funny because I don't like tuberose a lot, but my favourite of the set is Moon Bloom, which I'd describe as a tuberose soliflore. It's beautiful, luminous, and easy to wear. I also like Hyde but the opening is very intense, too intense to wear out and you really need to like birch tar to enjoy this one.

OK, so the part I didn't like was that there's product residue left in the hair that you need to wash out. However, this is the only product I've found that totally smoothed down my heat damaged ends and made them look healthy again. I've since gotten the damaged ends cut and I'm using it on my ends to keep it stronger and healthier looking.

@pocketvenus   Have you tried Dilettante? That’s the one that interests me the most. 

Interesting info on the Olaplex No. 6. I could definitely use something for my ends. Thanks for that!

@PinkEvergreen 

You're totally welcome ❤️

Dilettante is primarily an orange blossom and petitgrain fragrance with a hit of honey. If you’ve never smelled petitgrain, it’s made from the leaves and twigs of the bitter orange tree and is known as the poor man’s neroli. It’s a little spicier, more opaque and gives the fragrance a gentle depth and heft. Dries down to orange blossom water with a whiff of indoles, the fragrance you find in white florals that are a little musky. It's very easy to wear, sunny and cheerful in nature but not squeaky clean.

One note about this line – because the ingredients are all natural, the way they smell can vary a fair bit from person to person and even on my own skin, I find slight variations from wear to wear!

RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

How are you applying the undereye primer? A brush? Your finger? Something else?

Re: RE: Best discovery of the last 6 months?

@KehDee  I’ve been applying it with my finger, like Becca recommends in their video on the Sephora product page. I gently press it onto my undereye area, so it can melt into my skin.

I found that it didn’t work quite as well with a brush, and looked streaky because it sat on top of my skin more. 

My best recent find has absolutely been the Laura Mercier Secret Blurring Powder 1. I like it much better than the LM Translucent Powder. It's a meant as a setting powder for for undereye concealing, but I also use it as an all-over face powder. It gives a soft-focus, pore/fine-line blurring finish. I've been having some issues w/ the NARS concealer, and this powder really help set and soften the look of the concealer. It's been great for photography too. Haven't experienced any flashback issues even though mica is one of the ingredients.

@gymgirl2  Wow, I’ve never even heard of this powder. Thanks for sharing! 

@PinkEvergreen My favorite new product is the Devacurl Wash Day Wonder. I have thick wavy swavy hair that is very tangled. You need to use a couple of pumps on the tangled areas but this product just melts them away. I used to have to literally clean my hands of my tangled hair when I would wash my hair. Now I have controlled the shedding to a minimum.

Now I realize this is a best finds but I have a not so kind review for a newly hyped product. I have been hearing about the Color Wow Dreamcoat for Curly Hair and my Devacurl stylist tried it on me yesterday. I feel that this product did not give me the curls of my dream. Also it claims to cut down on the frizz and I feel if I follow the Curly Girl method I get similar results. I felt that the product was heavy on my hair.

@Loretta55 I tried the Wash Day Wonder and hated it. It didn't work for me at all! Glad it worked for you!

First few times that I tried Wash Day Wonder I was kind of meh about it too @makeitup305 . I decided to give the product another try and I followed the instructions and I really liked the results. Unfortunately when I use the Olaplex 3 Treatment, I can’t use Wash Day Wonder so once again my fingers had major amounts of hair that I had to untangle.

I apply the product and it sit about 30 seconds then the magic occurs. 

testing