Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

@pocketvenus If I find the video elsewhere I'll DM you. I don't see them coming back to Sephora any time soon. Maybe Nordstrom? They might want to keep the main distribution for a while considering they're just getting back on their feet.

@makeitup305 Thank you! ❤️ Should be interesting to see how this house evolves.

Side note: Is anyone else having problems with the message board?  BT isn't working on Chrome for me anymore.  When I hit "reply" I get a blank page with no ability to type where the text box should be.

Moving on.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?  I really liked the Sephora favorites candle sampler set.  If they do these again in the future I'll definitely be picking up more as gifts.

2) A purchase you regret- why?  Regret?  I mean, honestly I could regret everything because I have too much of everything.  I'll say the one thing I'm most disappointed in was the Melt Cosmetics Millennial Pinx Eyeshadow Palette .  It doesn't really swatch like the pictures show it on the product page.  Between the PMG motherships 7-9 and the ND love palette, I have all the colors in the Millenial Pinx palette but with better color pay off.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Most expensive was maybe the ND Biba and Triochrome palette bundle.  It was definitely worth it because the bundle package was almost 50% off the retail purchase.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?  Most hyped?  I don't know.  I avoid hype now.  I mean, does anyone watch youtube gurus anymore?  I don't.  I will say PMG hypes up all her launches.  I was a little disappointed with the Huetopian Dream palette because I thought some of the foil shades would be more pigmented. 

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I have no idea.  Probably about the same.  I started shopping at direct brands more.  I got some great deals at PMG - 30% off; ND - almost 50% off on a bundle; and not a brand site but another retailer -- I got a Sunday Riley set for about 50% off, too!

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries I wish I could rediscover something but honestly, my make up is scattered throughout the house.  I repurchased a MAC fluidline after almost exclusively using stila felt tip liquid liners, and it was awesome. 

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want  I can't think of any.  I've been thinking about getting one of those Nuface devices but realistically I don't think I can commit to using the tool regularly.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?  Not really. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?  No idea.  I feel like we're in a post-trend world, or maybe that's just me because I'm old.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? I don't really use any body products although I should because my legs are super ashy.  I've been using the Fresh Body Lotion.   I didn't smell any new fragrances this year, either.  My long time running favorite is Si by Giorgio Armani though. 

Tagging a few people I don't think were previously tagged: @WinglessOne @ohheyitscindyk @Mcakes @ZombieMetroAnt @Tamara76 

Thanks for the tag @itscarin ! I'll have to give this some thought and come back!

I am also soooo excited about the candle sampler! I still need to pick my fave💕💕💕

@itscarin Agreed! That candle sampler was amazing. I really hope they come out with another one soon!

@itscarin  Chrome's the only browser I use for BIC (via laptop, phone, or tablet) and I haven't had that problem yet. Sounds like a glitch to report in the bugs thread, if you haven't yet. 

Super dry legs: this is also a recurring problem for me, though it's a nearly full body issue for me. (My body skin is very dry.) My dermatologist convinced me to stop towel-drying my limbs and use some kind of facial hydrating mist that contains humectants and/or moisturizers, since I'm sometimes too lazy or ill to rub a serum or oil on my body in addition to lotion/cream. Hydrating mists are good because I can just spray 'em on, and it's a good way to use up products that didn't play nice with my face. Still gotta top the mist quickly with moisturizer, of course. 

@WinglessOne Do you have really hard water? I went back to FL during Christmas and my skin was noticeably better after a shower vs AZ, even though I have water softener.

@makeitup305  Chicago water’s definitely not as hard as Florida’s (my parents live there, and I hate washing my hair when I visit). But my problem’s not so much the water. I just naturally have dry body skin. My skin’s also very reactive head to toe. Doesn’t take much at all to cause red flushing or welts. That adds a fun layer to having dry skin: applying body lotion/cream gently enough to not set my skin off, while using enough pressure to actually spread and rub on the product. 🤦‍♀️ 

@itscarin I’ve definitely bought more direct from brands this year as well. They had some amazing BF deals. Have you tried the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 6.76 oz/ 200 mL ? I’ve been using that on my legs and my arms and I find that it absorbs pretty quickly and it’s not greasy, so no issues if you put on leggings or pants. 

@makeitup305  I haven’t tried that but I do like their squalane oil. I’m just too lazy to put on body lotion.  Is anyone else this lazy?

@itscarin   I'll bet you're just in a hurry to make sure a certain little someone doesn't investigate too much on his own!

@itscarin I’m not that big into body lotions and stuff like that but it had gotten to a point where my skin was actually ashy and itchy so I’m trying to be more consistent. I hate putting on lotion and sticking to the sheets  and this one doesn’t do that which is nice.

@itscarin Your answer to #4 and #9 is literally, me😂Seriously, who cares about trends anymore? (Maybe I'm just getting old too lol!)

Ps. I love the original Si by Giorgio Armani but I oddly despise the coveted and much hyped Armani Beauty Si Passione Intense Eau de Parfum 1 oz/ 30 mL 

@itscarin Chrome's working for me? Also your #2 answer made me LOL so hard 😂

@pocketvenus @itscarin Chrome (on my iPad) is working for me now but yesterday I couldn’t upload pictures.

@itscarin I’m so jealous! The ND Biba and Triochrome bundle!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ Such a great combo! They have to work so good together! 😃

@Saradestin @I haven’t really played with the triochrome palette much. There was one time before a web call I hastily slapped on someone colors from the triochrome palette but it was a hot mess and thank for my webcam isn’t great quality. 

@makeitup305 -- your answers were fun to read, and thanks for tagging me. I could give several A for each Q, but settled on these:

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?
Dominique Cosmetics Lemonade eyeshadow palette. I missed it when it was properly available,but have since fallen for DC palettes and wanted this one, bad. It's beautiful! I bought it through Glambot, no regrets.

2) A purchase you regret- why?
A makeup melting cleanser that shall remain nameless. It gets the job done, but it's not what I'd call cosmetically elegant, so using it is a bit of a chore. And there's a lot to use up.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?
Sunday Riley Luna Retinol Sleeping Night Oil . I paid less than a fifth of the full retail price, so yes, it's worth the cash; very nice stuff, but as I can't use it every night to get the fullest benefit, it wouldn't be worth the full price to me

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?
Grace Eleyae The Original Slap | Satin Lined Cap Grey -- yes, love it. I recommend it for everyone with a head

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years?
Much less, and am going to continue that downward trend, of necessity.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries
Got my first ever CLINIQUE Quickliner™ For Eyes Intense Eyeliner Intense Plum , and I am impressed! No one talks about this liner, in my sphere, but it's got a great formula and nice colors available. Also really enjoying myCiaté London Glitter Flip Infamous gloss, which I'd forgotten about till recently. These are fun, and once they dry down, they stay on well

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want
Colourpop's Elsa palette. Just love the colour story, although I'm sure I have all those shades elsewhere.

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?
Yes. During lockdown I'd only been wearing eye looks, no face/lip makeup, mostly; now I'm wearing lippies regularly, just around the house. But lately have been wearing more of a brow-lashes-upper liner and-that's-it look when I leave the house, masked. That will change again soon, as I received many palettes for Christmas. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?
IDK, but I hope it's better skincare at a lesser cost.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?
Two, actually: Twisted Peppermint body cream, and Snowy Morning shower gel, both from B&BW. Too bad the latter is discontinued, it was amazing.

@heavyhedon Love that Sunday Riley Luna Oil. She's been my bestie for this entire year. How/when do you use the satin lined cap? I'm super curious. (Sorry if this is a weird question but I own many bonnets for sleeping, hair drying towels, shower caps, conditioning caps, etc.)

@QueenMarceline -- I don't really need it for sleeping, though on a cold night I might wear it half the night to keep my ears warm. The non-adjustable Slap I own doesn't stay put at night forever, but bear in mind I have really thin, fine straight hair and not a ton of it on my head, so not much to keep it on. I've never taken any great care with it at night either.

But during the day, it gets worn around the house and somehow keeps my head at an even temp, not overly warm, so that I don't get a chill (my office is pretty cold in winter), the cold air doesn't get in my ears, which prevents me from getting a really sore throat. And it's more comfy than any knitted cap I have so I wear it on grocery runs etc., as long as it's not a blizzard outside. 

Wearing the Slap keeps me from fiddling with my hair, since I'm not used to it being this long, & keeps my scalp from getting drier and itchy, and just protects my hair throughout the day. 

@heavyhedon That sounds like a lovely product, the lining of it also seems like it would be super comfy to wear around. I'm glad your enjoying it and thank you so much for sharing your awesome feedback 🙂

233 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg
testing