Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

Another year has passed so figured I'd keep my tradition going and post my Best, Most, and Worst thread. Can't wait to read everyone's replies!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why?

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance?

Here are my answers!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? It's like trying to pick a favorite child. I picked up so many good products this year. Top 5, I would say Natasha Denona Retro Eyeshadow Palette PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership IX Eyeshadow Palette: Huetopian Dream, the Vanity Makeup Cosmetics Signature Palette, and NARS Bijoux and Climax palettes. I had some really cool purchases over Black Friday but I haven't tried them enough to make them favorites just yet. For non-makeup, I bought myself a Coach bag on sale and have no regrets. The outlet is where it's at. 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I don't regret them so much so that I wish they were better formulated: the Melt Cosmetics Mary Jane Eyeshadow Palette and Melt Cosmetics Brunet Eyeshadow Palette . I love the color stories but have issues with the shimmers.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Sonia G Sky Face Set, totally worth it for me.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? I would say the Rephr brushes lived up to the hype for me. I haven't washed them all just yet and I'm not sure how well they hold up over time but I was very happy with how they feel and how the apply color.  Another overhyped product I bought is the Thrive mascara, it's just ok for me.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I'm not sure. My purchases over the first half of the year were pretty minimal but I went all out during Black Friday and all the sales, so maybe about the same?

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries Rose Inc blushes, MUFE cream blushes, Roen quads

7) A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want the Victoria Beckham Bronzer in #2 and the Rephr 22 Brush (the large bronzer one).

8 ) Did your makeup routine change in any way? During the first half of the year I didn't use that much makeup but being back on BIC definitely reignited my love for doing full looks. 

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think we're still going to see lots of cream products and light bases.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? CLEAN RESERVE Reserve - Skin 3.4 oz/ 101 mL is still one of my favorites for every day. For body, I recently discovered the Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL thanks to a few BIC members and it's a game changer for me. 

Tagging @itsfi @Sunnysmom @faeriegirl @eshoe @Ispend2much6 @curlychiquita @ather @SportyGirly125 @lmaster @haleyvvvv @heavyhedon @RGbrown @sister13 @CookieGirl1 @greeneyedgirl107 @AznAngelLiz @Kim888 @Titian06 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst [2021 Edition]

@jen81 Interesting! Was there anything in particular that made you switch? Price, effectiveness, etc?

PC direct always has sales. I find its less irritating to use. I can leave on for 10 minutes and get great results. @alexasteph 

Yes to the Hourglass @alexasteph ! Good list! 

I'm so interested to try the Bom Dia, @alexasteph -- fun reading your answers!

@alexasteph @I do love that Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask Mini 0.5 oz/ 15 mL - there’s always the mini if you don’t want to invest in full size !!!

@alexasteph of course!! Thanks for sharing your answers! I just tagged the last few people on my notifications to boost the thread. Tag away if I missed someone! I love the Hourglass palettes. I skipped this year's but the ones I own are still some of my favorite face palettes of all time. I've heard great things about the DE. The The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Exfoliating Peeling Solution 1 oz/ 30 mL is supposed to be a good dupe for it so you could give that a shot and then splurge if it works out for you? Best of luck with your Lucky Bag, can't wait to see everyone's posts.

@makeitup305 I haven’t tried any of The Ordinary line of products actually! I might have to check that one out as a dupe. I found a Pacifica serum that seemed like it may be a dupe I’m currently working through, but I don’t think the strength is quite there. It’s not necessarily a bad product, but I know there are stronger options. 

@alexasteph from what I've seen of reviews of the Oridinary one, it can look a little scary when applied but works really well.

Such a fun thread @makeitup305 !! My responses:

My The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% Serum for Facial Wrinkles 1 oz/ 30 mL . It is not a new discovery but it is my favorite skincare product that I constantly buy at Sephora. I have been using it for years with amazing results. It has erased some wrinkles and has kept my skin pretty free of new ones

None! This was a great year and I loved everything I bought.

I haven’t bought anything expensive but I could say that the most expensive item (relatively speaking) was my Natasha Denona I Need A Nude Lipstick Naya which is not expensive unless you spend on average less than 10$ in lipsticks, it but it is worth every penny!

I don’t tend to purchase products because of the hype so I think that there was nothing really hyped that I bought this year.

I spent slightly less, but I would have loved to spend much more! 😅

My discovery has been CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ #. Skincare is very personal and I find this lotion amazing while others hate it.

Clearly PAT McGRATH LABS Mothership V Eyeshadow Palette - Bronze Seduction no doubts!!! Some day it will be mine! 🥰

Yes, I was doing my complexion first and my eyes last and now it’s the other way around.

I think that more “no makeup” makeup looks because of the need to wear masks and more clean, cruelty free and environmentally friendly makeup. I hope for more intense and colorful makeup trends! 

As body product SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Body Hydrator 400 mL/ 13.5 oz # . It leaves my skin so hydrated, soft and perfumed! If you don’t like scented lotions, this is definitely not for you. As perfumes I loved Juliette Has a Gun PEAR INC. 3.3 oz / 100 mL Eau de Parfum Spray # , KILIAN Paris Apple Brandy Eau de Parfum 1.7 oz/ 50 mL Eau de Parfum Spray #, Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau De Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 oz/ 10 mL 

@Saradestin , agree about Dramatically Different. It's a great basic lotion that comes in  different weights for every face. I love Clinique skincare, they have reliable products I can always count on. 

@Saradestin Haha I understand #5 completely. 

@Saradestin thanks for participating! I need to look into that Ordinary product, I don't know much about it. I just picked up some ND lipsticks during her BF sale and definitely agree that they are worth it!

I know I am missing some, but here is a start:

1) Your favorite purchase of the year- why? Violette_Fr Boum-Boum Milk. It is so versatile, especially when I am feeling tired or need to wrap up my skin care quick. Need a serum? An in-between wash-off/sheet mask fix? Decided to head off to bed instead of finishing a multi-step routine? This solves them all.

2) A purchase you regret- why? While it is not a full-on regret, I still haven’t worn the e.l.f. Jalapeño mini palette. I wanted this so much, and waited 6 months to buy it (during my no-buy). Why did I even want it in the first place? Greens. I need more greens,  but this was not the place.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Might be the Glam Palette. Worth it. I love my eyes every time I use this, and I continue to be amazed at how versatile it is.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Victoria Beckham Lid Lustre. I sense the shade I selected may be the issue, but I expected much more glitter and glam. It is still beautiful, just more refined. I do plan to try the Mink, and maybe Tea Rose, at some point.

5) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Hmmm. I hope less.

6) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries - Violette_Fr’s Boum-Boum Milk

PMG Huetopian Dream.

Not a drastic change, but starting to feel more comfortable with varying lip shades. More experimentation going on which results in more unexpected loves.

9) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? Lashes come to mind. Eyeliner.

10) What was your favorite body product or fragrance? Nécessaire body serum and Kilian Apply Brandy. Not only the fragrance but how it evolves and lingers on the skin.

@makeitup305 thanks for the tag, this was fun!

@eshoe that Violette product sounds super interesting, I hadn't heard anything about it. I'm in the same boat as you as to the VB Lid Lusters. I find them kind of "flat" if that makes sense. I've tried Mirror a bunch and, while I don't think silver is very flattering on me, I keep hoping for a little more "something". Same with Chiffon. I haven't tried Mink as much so not sure on that one. It's honestly not doing anything that MJ or Hourglass didn't do before, or even Tarte. If you want a really sparkly all over lid shade, try the Ultra Glitter from Colourpop like Ritz or A little Quarky.

@makeitup305 I think a swatch of A Little Quarky popped up here, I might try that. So far the Hourglass Scattered Light Glitter Eye Shadow Ray # andstila Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow Wanderlust have been hits for me in terms of sparkle and longevity.

@eshoe @Those are definitely good ones. I just replaced some of my Stila this year after all of mine had dried out, that’s the one drawback. I have one Hourglass but I’d be open to more 😉 my big hit this year on sparkly shades was that Vanity palette and the Roen.  I think with further consideration VBB lusters would’ve made my overhyped list.

The Vanity is on my to-try list @makeitup305.  I had to toss a few Stila’s last year including a Wanderlust, and was annoyed by it as well. You have inspired me to work on my Roens again, so kudos for that!!

@makeitup305 

Sephora favorite candle kit; I loved trying all the fancy candles! 

Peter Thomas Roth Peptide 21™ Wrinkle Resist Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL ; this was horrible - super sticky and broke me out! 

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare DRx SpectraLite™ FaceWare Pro ; I was very happy with it at first but I’ve been bad about using it. I need to get back into doing it everyday 

Caudalie Vinosculpt Lift & Firm Body Cream 8.4 oz/ 250 mL - it’s nice but I prefer Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Bum Bum Visibly Firming Refillable Body Cream 

i think about the same; more skincare and hair are though 

Jack Black Lip Balm Trio - these do as good of a job as all the pricey lip balms for 1/4 the price 

K18 Biomimetic Hairscience Mini Leave-In Molecular Repair Hair Mask 0.5 oz/ 15 mL - I want to buy this but I’m waiting for a good gwp haha 

i mostly switched to powder foundation; liquid is a hassle for me and I don’t always love how it looks

Maybe a rise of the dual cream/powder produces like the PATRICK TA Major Sculpt Crème Contour & Powder Bronzer Duo She's Sculpted - people still like the fresh cream look but with masks not going anywhere setting them is so important 

Gucci Flora Gorgeous Gardenia Eau de Parfum 

@Kim888 That candle set looked really nice!

@Kim888  The K18 is a promo right now, $25 buy-in.

@Kim888 sorry the PTR didn't work out for you. I'm jealous you got the candle set! I hope Sephora does one like it again.

233 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos7
  • IMG_3896 2.JPG
  • cdnperfumes.jpg
  • 49DC5153-69B8-44E1-B686-86E90457300D.jpeg
  • F5712293-7066-4460-9563-291A09368B89.jpeg
  • 72C1CDFB-804F-4B65-82F1-ABAD8E2CB529.jpeg
  • Screenshot 2022-01-03 184422.png
  • C46DE348-D055-47CB-8FC2-5367832411BE.jpeg
testing