Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Best, Most, and Worst! [2019 Edition]

I did this tag two years ago and wanted to give it another go. I love to read everyone’s responses and I think it’s a great way to look back on our purchases and review all our goodies.

1) Your favorite purchase of the year.

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online?

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

Here are mine:

1. My favorite purchase this year was all my Natasha Denona and Pat McGrath eyeshadow palettes. I can’t pick just one, it’s like picking a favorite child. I think if I had to get rid of all my palettes but keep my ND and PMG I could do it. I’d cry, but I could do it.
  2. I think my recent Ulta purchase was overall a regret, not because the products were bad but my heart wasn’t really invested in any of the products, which is how I’ve shopped most of the year. I used points and a 20% off coupon so I’m not too hurt about it.
  3. My most expensive purchase was the Natasha Denona 28-pan palette.  Technically, I got it for 50% off since it was BOGO but it’s still really expensive. I love them, though. No regrets.
  4. The most hyped product I bought was either ND Metropolis or the PMG quads. Both amazing and worth the hype (and price) IMO. Something also super hyped that I just picked up is the CoverFX blush duo. I don’t see what all the fuss is about.
  5. I shopped mostly online this year. A lot of the stuff I wanted was harder to find in store so it wasn’t worth it to drive over and I think that helped curb my spending a bit.
  6. I was pretty good on my low buy this year up until October and November, when all the sales started. I went a little nuts and pretty much undid a lot of the progress I made. However, I think I spent less overall than last year and I hope to do the same next year.
  7. They’re both relatively new to my collection but the EM Cosmetics serum blushes and the Pacifica Alight foundation are both awesome products that deserve more hype. The Smashbox brushes are great quality and I realize that nobody ever mentions them. I rediscovered my love for the Hourglass Ambient Unlocked palette after it was rereleased in the Ghost version this year.
  8. PMG Divine Rose. I want to see it in person before I pick it up but I’m dying to purchase it. The new Charlotte Tilbury Look in a Palette is a runner up.
  9. I think this year I really focused on really dewy skin and using lighter coverage foundations. I used lots of cream products, especially in the summer.
  10. I think we’re going to see a few more wearable and neutral to cool palettes in the coming year.

Tagging some of you, hope you don’t mind! @tsavorite @WinglessOne @Kim888 @Luvstravel @RGbrown @curlychiquita @lmaster @itsfi  @SportyGirly125 @blackkitty2014 

Re: Best, Most, and Worst! [2019 Edition]

I bought a TON of makeup this year, so this was not easy, I will give it go!

1. Sephora Collection Acrylic Makeup Organizers (all of them)

2. First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream, the tubes that were on sale on Black Friday-- because they are just too greasy and contain WAY too many "not great for you" Ingrediants-I bought 3 of them FML!!

3. Sephora Coll. Acrylic makeup Organizers-- I bought 2 sets of the larger ones and one set of the smaller ones. For the price, they are big (can't get this size on Amazon without paying twice as much) and they hold a lot of products. Well worth the price. 

4. Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk collection- I bought the whole set, shadow, blush, lipstick, liner and gloss+ Filmstar Bronze and Glow, Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder and several other products. They are all great products and perform very well for the most part, but for the money I spent I could have bought so many other products, from other brands and gotten WAY more for the money. There is not a lot of product in her items.

5. Definitely Sephora online, in Canada

6. Spent a-LOT this year as I am just starting back into wearing makeup at 50 years old. I am still working on my confidence and obviously I still am learning because so much has changed in makeup, from products, formulations and application since 2005.

7. Under-rated product is, for sure, The Sephora Collection Matte Perfection Tinted Moisturizer. This is a REALLY good product and you should absolutely try it. It is great for the days when you want or need to pair it down some. Looks great on, doesn't cake or sink into lines and wrinkles and has awesome staying power.

8. Tom Ford Bronzer, right now it is just too expensive and I can't justify the cost.

9. I went from not wearing makeup at all, too wearing too much, too now trying to find a happy medium! But I loved it all!! Can't believe I've missed out all these years. 

10. Skin care is going to be huge, especially CBD infused skin care. 

Thank you for the tag @itsfi ! Sorry I've been MIA, haven't been very beauty inspired lately tbh. Questionnaires are always fun though, let's see how this goes!

Do my Sephoria tickets count? lol. Always well worth it to be able to spend time with my favorite gals Heart Product wise, I'd have to go with the Christophe Robin Mask: https://www.sephora.com/product/regenerating-mask-with-rare-prickly-pear-seed-oil-P401454 I always love getting it in samples but haven't allowed myself to splurge on it... until recently. Don't regret it lol. 

Everytime I buy a Natasha Denona palette I regret it. The formula just doesn't blow me away but I always get suckered in for the hype and packaging. PMG is just so much better. 

I can't remember but I'm guessing the ND Metropolis palette was my most expensive single item purchase this year. It's ok. I've only used it a handful of times. 

The PMG Blitz Astral Quad in Nocturnal Nirvana is really pretty, just haven't gotten as much use out of it yet as I thought I would. Might have done better with the other color way. 

I was bad and shopped mainly online. I like to try to go in store as much as possible to support brick and mortar retail, but being pregnant I just haven't wanted to deal with everything that goes along with that. Hopefully I'll be better next year!

I've definitely spent less this year. I just haven't had anything really grab my attention this year and I can't experiment with skincare right now either so this beauty passion has been on the backburner this year for me. 

I've been using my Guerlain Meteorites more often and love the experience of it! The packaging, using a pretty powder brush and the smell...it's so nice. I still use my Houglass ALP's 95% of the time when I'm in a rush (which is always lol), but for the rare occasions when I can sit down and enjoy my makeup routine, those pearls get some use!

Annoyed that I missed the Beautylish XL Lucky bag... AGAIN... *sigh*

Not really, but I have been practicing a more scaled back minimal look for next year when I will have very little me time. 

Whatever the trend is, they can't take me away from my sparkles 😄 

@makeitup305 

Thanks so much for the tag! I had to think about my answers for a bit, but I think this gets it!

Sara Happ The Dream Slip. Holy mackeral, it's amazing. Yes, it's a $34 lip balm. I am also a cheap SOB when I can be, but I will shell out the bucks for eternity for this (with a 20% and points, of course, to help lessen the blow 😛 ). While the rest of me is oily, my lips are desert dry, and have been for years. I've tried lots of stuff as my night treatment, including Laneige, Bite, Neosporin Overnight, Lano, and dozens of other balms only to find zero relief. Clarins Lip Oil got me closer to better, so I started experimenting in a two-layer system with the Clarins on top. Clarins + Skyn Iceland was sooo close, but not quite it, and I finally caved and grabbed the SH. It's sooooo thick and rich; it's the only balm that actually hangs out on my lips all night and is still around in the morning. I don't think I even need the lip oil over it, but I adore the combo of the two (and have the lip oil already, so I may as well use it). FWIW, the pot of SH is huge at 0.5oz, and since I'm only using it once a day, I think it will probably last me upwards of 2 years (I've been using it nearly 7 months, and the dent is pretty small...20-25% gone maaayyyybe, if even that much).

Runner-up: $9 PMG LuxeTrances 😍

I made some stumbles this year (like I do every year), but I try not to regret much and instead view it as a learning experience. I was mostly better about not buying "all the things", so I'm proud of that. Sure, I still bought some (too many) lippies, but testing and finding formulas I like is half the fun, so even my declutter box is useful in a way.

I don't think I bought anything super-expensive this year? Though I am having a hard time recalling anything earlier than August or so lol. My most expensive purchases were probably my PMG palettes (2x 6 pans, plus Ritualistic Rose, $65 each, but all with various sales), and Exuviance Vitamin C ($70, also on sale). All are worth it!

I tend to shy away from the hype, unless I'm certain a product deserves it. I also don't use IG/Twitter/etc, so I'm not always aware of the newest and trendiest chatter and products. PMG Ritualistic Rose is probably the most hyped product I bought this year, at least as far as I know based off BIC chatter lol.

Ulta, online. Rewards, discounts, cashback and gwp's completely rule my shopping decisions.

Less.

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated/underhyped makeup discoveries.
Not sure I have much here...I haven't been doing makeup long enough to have forgotten and rediscovered anything lol. I do keep coming back to an ancient Almay setting powder I have though. It's better for me than LM, CoverFX, Pretty Vulgar, and whatever others I've tried for the last couple of years. It's long discontinued though, so I keep plugging away at other samples, trying to find something I can switch to once I run out.
And not makeup related, not really, but an ancillary beauty product that anyone with hard water should check out: Sprite Shower Filter. It's $20ish, and made an amazing difference in my hair (and skin...normally I have to pull out body oils in the winter because lotion just isn't enough once the air turns dry, but not this year, not yet at least).

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want.
I almost talked myself into the Hourglass Ambient Edit Ghost, and I kinda wish I had. I think next year, I'd like to focus on acquiring a few more higher-end pieces, like an Hourglass palette, maybe some Japanese brushes, a couple of ND 5 pans. This was a transitional year for me, where I cut back a good bit, but still spent a lot on tons of little purchases, and I'd like to funnel that into just a few key pieces instead next year.

Hmmmm, yes and no? I don't wear makeup every day, so when I do, I still favor a full bold eye/bold lip look, but I have worked on paring that back a bit sometimes. I even tried a couple of softer/more neutral eye looks, and a couple of softer/more neutral lipsticks (never at the same time though 😛 ). And sometimes I'm ok with just the basics, some combo of brows/mascara/eyeliner/lips without eyeshadow.

Gosh, I hope it's more glossy/metallic/glitter lips and cooler eyeshadows (not that I can buy more lipsticks or eye palettes hahahahahaha). And a nod to @WinglessOne's request for less of the "clean" marketing...more consumer education, fewer I-just-assume-the-Green-Dot-is-better sheep, please. Labeling that alcohol-laden toner as "organic" or "clean" doesn't make it any less of a bad product.

Your list of goodies for curated products in 2020 sounds divine @RGbrown! 😍 I’ve enjoyed the Hourglass and ND palettes 💖 I’ve picked up in the last couple of years and I love Japanese brushes.♥️ Looking forward to hearing what you pick up next year! 

Thanks for the tag @itsfi ! This will be difficult.

I had a long wall of text typed out but that darn Authentication Failed error message lost my progress 😞 I'll try to re-type it later elsewhere then copy/paste.

Yup, this is difficult. 

- Farmacy's Very Cherry cleansing balm - please bring this back 😢 so smooth, smells delicious, and uses less product than my favorite CLINIQUE Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover 3.8 oz/ 125 mL. Their Green Clean ingredients were too harsh for my skin. 

- DYSON - Supersonic Hair Dryer - see 3 😄

- FOREO - UFO™ - best glitch purchase. A surprisingly nice customizable facial treatment that I use daily day and night. It massages with hot and cold temps and RGB LED lights. It really does boost the efficacy of my skincare products. My face is softer with less angry red acne bumps.

- Jo Malone solid perfume duo in Blackberry & Bay and English Pear & Freesia - My buddy when traveling. The plane air gets so stuffy that I crave a fresh scent, so I whip this out and use it without disturbing my neighbors. Sephora, please sell the refills!!!

- Jill Stuart Urban Princess Collection Set - Want a subtle but shimmery look while feeling like a princess in a vintage setting? This is it. The highlighter gives a subtle glow with sparse shimmer and has a kind of strong fruity floral fragrance, while the eyeshadow has a light fragrance and gives a soft, sheer, shimmery look with minimal fallout. Fragrance does go away after about an hour after application.

- PAT McGRATH LABS Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette Ritualistic Rose in Nocturnal Nirvana - see 4 😄

- TOM FORD - Soleil Neige Eye Color Quad Eyeshadow Palette - 02 Soleil Et Lune - love this color story and the wet/dry formula! No fallout and no primer needed for me. Beautifully melds onto my lids. 

- Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette in Glowing Gorgeous - convenient travel palette that has it all! I also like how the eyeshadows are soft and easy to blend, and you can go from a soft to smokey look.

- Hourglass Ghost Ambient Light Palette - I really like this cool, pinky palette! The powders meld so nicely onto my skin and gives a slight blurring effect while adding a soft glow.

- DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream - acne and PIH begone faster! It also helps boost the efficacy of the other actives I use in my routine and reduces the chance of future breakouts.

- Beautyblender POWER POCKET PUFF™ Dual-Sided Powder Puff for Setting and Baking - I'm so sorry I forgot who recommended this on my brush post looong ago, but this has helped so much with powder application! It reduces the powdery look that I get when using my brushes and it's easy to travel with. 

- Chantecaille x de Gournay Lumiere Rose Highlighter - gorgeous inside and out. This does have very fine shimmer but gives a soft pale pink glow. The artwork is preserved on the compact itself so I won't feel sad about the powder imprint fading away

- To be continued...

- Wet n Wild's Reserve Your Cabana - Nope, not a dupe for Hourglass ambient powders at all. Too powdery, chalky, and pigmented. I'm hate-panning this by using it to set the sunscreen on my neck/decolletage.

- Charlotte Tilbury Glowgasm Palette in Lightgasm - I regret not getting the Lovegasm one. Lightgasm formula is so tough to pick up, especially that bronzer, even with a natural hair brush. It's pretty as subtle eyeshadow though but i have to kind of dig in with the brush or use my fingers.

(Technically I paid for it) DYSON - Supersonic Hair Dryer - Absolutely! It cuts down the drying time by more than half (30 minutes down to 5 minutes without the magnetic attachments) for my long hair and makes it feel soft. I can now allocate more time to do other things. My hair has always been a pain to take care of at this stage but I will finally be cutting and donating it next month! I also like how my hair doesn't get caught in the dryer since air is pulled from the bottom handle. The set I got from Ulta came with a stand to store the magnetic attachments.

PAT MCGRATH LABS - Blitz Astral Quad Eyeshadow Palette in Nocturnal Nirvana - Really wanted a smaller palette with the special shades and this was perfect. Glittery with no fallout and can be applied wet or dry. Purple and gold are beautifully pigmented and shimmery while the blue and green topper shades are more sheer but pack a glittery punch. Photos don't do them justice.

Online: Mix of Sephora, Ulta, Bloomingdales, and Neiman Marcus

More...oops

Rediscovered loves: First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration 6 oz/ 170 g for quickly moisturizing my dry, cracked hands this winter!

Underrated/underhyped: 

- Refillable makeup like Kjaer Weis. 

- So many K beauty brands, with their cute collabs or gorgeous aesthetics. I'm looking at you History of Whoo. 

- Tranexamic acid - effective in fading PIH, hyperpigmentation, and melasma, and evening skin tone! Ideally pair it with vitamin C to get an antioxidant boost

PMG's Divine Rose and Decadence (resistance is futile 😅)

A more fresh-faced look and more cream products

- Repeating the cycle and toning it down to neutral, no makeup-makeup looks 

- Low effort looks but still colorful and glittery  

- More of Asian beauty influence and products entering the western market, like makeup with skincare benefits, "skincare first", pink-toned mauve and baby pink colors. 

- More eco- and skin- friendly products/packaging backed by science, with less greenwashing and pseudoscience fear-mongering. Also agreeing with what others are saying about the "clean beauty" marketing buzzphrase and more. 

@RNGesusPls I love so many of your recommendations! I'm a big fan the Tranexamic Acid, too. I feel like it really does help fade dark spots. I'm sorry Lightgasm didn't work for you. I ended up returning mine for Lovegasm for the same reasons you said. I hope she does a different one this year and uses a softer formula. I love my UFO. I can't believe some people got it for $10! Such a great gadget!

Thanks @makeitup305 😄 I hope she uses a better formula next time too. I love baked gelee products but the Lightgasm was like tapping a brush against an overbaked loaf of bread LOL. And yay for tranexamic acid and the UFO! The gentle massaging mechanism helps my skin a lot

Ooh, so many lovely beauties on your list @RNGesusPls! 💕 Have you tried the Jill Stuart lippies from the Urban Process collection? Curious what your thoughts are if you have. 

Sorry @itsfi I didn't get the lipsticks so I'm not able to give a review 😞 they look gorgeous though!

No worries @RNGesusPls! My wallet thanks you. 🙂 JS products are so pretty. ❤️

@RNGesusPls  Ugh, I hate it when that happens, so much so, that I always select all, and copy, before I hit post JUST IN CASE. The same thing happened to me, but luckily, I had copied and was able to paste 🙂 

Thanks @MissPuff that's a great tip that I always keep forgetting! C'mon brain!!!

Oh no! I’m so sorry @RNGesusPls.  It’s a pain when that happens. 😖 Take your time. I know there’ll be some amazing goodies on your list; I shall wait to be enabled. ☺️

Thanks for your patience @itsfi  🙂 I tried to quickly type as much of what I could remember, but there are some missing so I'll have to think more thoroughly!

I reserve the right to update my answers later this month. Tagging @blackkitty2014  because she wanted to know my thoughts on the 2 brushes I’m going to gush about. 

I can’t pick just one makeup or skincare item (I bought too many amazing-for-me things this year!), so I’ll choose a tool instead. Two tools, actually:

Koyudo Yoshiki 004 M and 005 S eyeshadow brushes. Both are perfect for the way I apply shadows in my inner corner and lower lash line. They look simplistically beautiful, and I love the way they feel in my hand. Bonus points for short handles. They’re very soft and surprisingly dense, so their extra fine tips don’t splay during use. I can get VERY detailed shadow application with these 2 brushes. Yes, I have a couple other extra-fine-tipped brushes, but they’re specifically designed for liquid/clay/gel liner and don’t work quite like these Koyudos. I didn’t expect to love these so much! 

My 2 favorite eyeshadow brushes of 2019My 2 favorite eyeshadow brushes of 2019

Paula’s Choice Azelaic Acid Booster. After 2 weeks of patch testing and a false sense of security, I applied it to my face to fade some old acne scars, including a few cyst scars. This stuff caused a new round of cystic acne, exactly in the area where I had old scars. It also generally irritated the rest of my face. And that’s the short tale of how I discovered my skin reeeeally hates azelaic acid. 😞 

For myself: a full bottle of Papillon Anubis. Absolutely worth the money. Best (to me) smoky leathery incense fragrance on Earth. I went through 2 or 3 samples of Anubis before finally buying a bottle.

For someone else: a Dyson Supersonic hairdryer. Jury’s out on this one til my gift recipient opens it on the 25th. 🙂 

I’ll answer later this month, but I’m pretty sure the answer will be a Pat McGrath item. In fact, I could just say “any of the PMG quads or 10-pan palettes I bought this year” for now. For me, the ones I bought are worth the hype. (No, I didn’t buy ALL of them 😄 and I still feel VII is a very easy pass for me.)

I definitely shopped more online than offline, but I did do a good amount of in-store shopping this year. Not sure which store got most of my makeup business: Sephora, Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack, Beautylish, or Dermstore. Probably a tie between Nordstrom and Sephora. As usual, I also shopped direct at brand sites (*coughPMGcough*), but most of my online orders probably came from the 2 big retailers I mentioned.

Probably more this year than last year? I’m honestly not sure and I’m afraid to tally up my beauty purchases to find out. 😬

• Rediscovered: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette.
  • Underrated/underhyped: Origins Blooming Bold lipsticks.

Pat McGrath Dark Star 006 UltraViolet Blue. I already have the Dark Star 006 Dark Matter kit, but I want that blue pigment, dang it! I missed it EVERY TIME it was re-released.

Not adding another certain PMG product here, lest I jinx myself out of getting it later this month. 

I quit liquid and cream foundations for good this year. I rarely wore them anyway in previous years, but now I’m done with them. No more letting foundation convince me that my skin tones are the problem.

Obligatory disclaimer: I’m not saying any of what I’m about to mention is terrible. Well okay, except the current “clean beauty” trend—but I have reasons for that. 

Maybe cut creases, winged liner, and full/soft glam eye looks will give way to a much simpler eye look... maybe a single wash of color on the whole lid and brow bone—more monochrome eye looks—and more natural looking lashes, or less exaggerated falsies. Or, maybe a simple wash of color with a doll lash look. I dunno, I’ve paid no attention to this year’s 2020 seasonal runway shows, so I have no idea what trends designers are trying to make happen next year—or, consequently, what runway makeup looks and color stories might become 2020 trends, aside from the typical “seasonal makeup shades” that cycle back around each year. Hmm. 

Oh wait, I do know Pantone chose classic blue as the 2020 color, so... maybe we’ll see lots of blue-themed palettes. I hope we also see more brands attempt to make blue lipsticks but, eh, something tells me that might not happen. Maybe we’ll see more blueish highlighters next year. Maybe high beam highlighters will give way to more dewy highlighters, which could still be blue toned. Maybe Pat McGrath will release a blue-themed palette and/or holiday quad next year! Or a blue LuxeTrance or MatteTrance, or a blue LiquiLUST liquid matte! I mean gosh, it’s not like I love blue makeup or anything... 🤪 💙

I really hope the “clean beauty” trend will be dialed back. No offense to anyone who’s deeply into that. To me, the “clean beauty” label is a misguided marketing scheme. There’s no industry standard definition of “clean,” and some ingredients certain brands/retailers call “dirty” aren’t truly dangerous or bad for skin. It’s a buzzphrase that takes advantage of consumers’ fears and implies that all “clean”/natural things are good, which isn’t true. If this trend doesn’t die down, maybe the brands/retailers that push it will at least become more responsible about it—but I doubt it. 

Yes to your comments on 10 @WinglessOne ! 

The "clean beauty" vs "dirty beauty" way of thinking needs to go. Feels like greenwashing. Brands should instead focus on eco-friendly and skin-friendly products and way of marketing. Sorry, it's late night and idk if I'm making sense.

@WinglessOne I totally agree with the "clean scheme." I personally like better ingredients/organic/sustainable etc things but often "clean" brands ingredient lists are full of trash and you are right that a lot of okay ingredients get a bad rap. It's all about the marketing and playing into consumer fears. 

@CC3616  Yep. And really, “better ingredients” is  sometimes subjective or very much dependent on one’s skin. Honey is a natural ingredient lover’s dream, but my skin hates it and can handle it only in extreme moderation. Meanwhile, many people still believe petroleum jelly is terrible when it’s actually one of the best things one can use on barrier-damaged skin. Sigh... there’s too much misinformation being marketed by brands and retailers who are much more concerned with profits than consumer welfare. 

@WinglessOne  My mum swore by vaseline at night for decades and she has the most gorgeous skin, people thought she was in her 40's till she was over 60! 

Those brushes look fantastic, and that scent is right up my alley. 

You definitely enabled me 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • C22DA8E3-853B-446C-897F-A4B992FAA1BD.gif
  • My 2 favorite eyeshadow brushes of 2019
testing