Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

BIC's 2022 Countdown to Black Friday and Cyber Monday Thread

It's that time of year again - when we are encouraged to shop!  Big sales, GWP, and points.  They're all advertised for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  This is a place to share your enthusiasm, tips, goals and anything else.

set-of-accessories-and-cosmetics-available-for-sale-royalty-free-image-1664480490.jpg

11/16: Which do you prefer: Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

11/17: What kinds of items do you hope will be on sale?

11/18: What will you be shopping for?  Beauty, electronics, fashion...?

11/19: Best Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals you ever got?

11/20: What stores/brands are on your radar?

11/21: Have you put off any purchases specifically for this time of year?

11/22: Did you shop any early Black Friday sales?

11/23: Do you think the sales are all they're made out to be?

11/24: What do you think of brick and mortar stores being open on Thanksgiving?

11/25: BLACK FRIDAY: Will you be hitting the stores, or shopping online?

11/26: Do you prefer to shop for yourself or others?

11/27: How early did you start your holiday shopping?  (And how long do you think you'll continue to do your holiday shopping?)

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit?  How many purchases did you make?  How many packages do you think will be coming to your house?

11/29: Did you miss out on anything?  Any regrets?  What things are still on your list?

Re: BIC's 2022 Countdown to Black Friday and Cyber Monday Thread

Sometimes shopping for myself is shopping for others. I often buy things to test so I’ll know whether or not to recommend or gift them to other folks. 

I do enjoy shopping for others, as long as I know what kinds of things they like or need. I tend to randomly shop for people throughout the year: if I happen upon something and think “that’d be great for [person],” I’ll either buy it right then or put it on my gift list to grab during a good sale. And of course I like to shop for myself. But it’s more gratifying to give gifts or product advice to others. 

11/27: How early did you start your holiday shopping? (And how long do you think you'll continue to do your holiday shopping?)
Technically, I started in January 2020. 😄 I haven’t traveled anywhere since The Cootie Times began, so I haven’t been able to hand-deliver holiday gifts to anyone outside of Chicago. My family and I haven’t exchanged tangible holiday gifts since then. Instead, we’ve been sending one another things sporadically throughout the year. But I still have a couple gifts to send that I bought in early 2020… note to self! 

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit? How many purchases did you make? How many packages do you think will be coming to your house?
I’ve gotten 12 packages and expect more. I’m not sure how many sites I visited since I didn’t purchase from all of them. Definitely more than 30 sites, though, as I browsed various retailers and brands’ sale offerings. 

11/29: Did you miss out on anything? Any regrets? What things are still on your list?
I’m slightly annoyed that Rakuten and RetailMeNot changed their cash back %s seemingly midday for Ulta and a few other retailers—AFTER I’d already placed orders at lower cash back %s. 🙄 But I’m glad to have saved any money at all. Not sure there’s anything I regret not buying. I had to rein myself in at some point, and it does me no good to pine over all the additional overspending I might’ve done. 

I have to go with Cyber Monday.

Kitchen gadgets.

Beauty and kitchen items.

11/19: Best Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals you ever got? This year was an air fryer.

Sephora, Kohls, Walmart 

No

Yep at Walmart.

Some of them are.

They should be closed.

Both

11/27: How early did you start your holiday shopping?  (And how long do you think you'll continue to do your holiday shopping?)

January😂 I always start early. I’m almost done now.

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit? Way too many!

How many purchases did you make? 8  How many packages do you think will be coming to your house? 8

11/29: Did you miss out on anything?  ND Biba

Any regrets?  No 
What things are still on your list?  Nothing!

11/29: Did you miss out on anything?  Any regrets?  What things are still on your list?  No.

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit?  How many purchases did you make?  How many packages do you think will be coming to your house? 3 website. A lot of packages coming. 

11/29: Did you miss out on anything?  Any regrets?  What things are still on your list? No. 

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit?  How many purchases did you make?  How many packages do you think will be coming to your house?  I visited one website and made one purchase.  Hopefully it will arrive as one shipment. 😄

both lol - definitely feel less guilty spending money on others though haha 

i started at the beginning of November but mostly got it done over the weekend with all the sales. I think I only have 1 more thing to get

11/28: CYBER MONDAY: Let's do some math: how many websites did you visit?  How many purchases did you make?  How many packages do you think will be coming to your house?

i feel like all the deals already started a few days ago. I placed an Ulta order this morning with their cyber Monday code but I don’t have plans to buy anything else today online 

11/26: Do you prefer to shop for yourself or others?  I don't have others to shop for.

11/27: How early did you start your holiday shopping?  (And how long do you think you'll continue to do your holiday shopping?)  I don't have others to shop for.

11/26: Do you prefer to shop for yourself or others? Both 

11/27: How early did you start your holiday shopping?  (And how long do you think you'll continue to do your holiday shopping?) I am always on a look out all year round. 

I used to prefer Black Friday, but I find the sales are starting earlier and earlier, so I tend to do a lot of my shopping (in-person and online) in the week leading up to "official" Black Friday

I have everyone from babies to 90 year olds on my holiday shopping list, so I tend to take advantage of sales across all categories! For my own personal shopping, I like this time of year to buy new board games and puzzles to entertain us through the winter.

I shop for everything! I'm trying to stay away from fashion/clothing purchases, as I (attempted) a low buy this year, and want to keep that energy up into 2023!

This is a tough one, but I would have to say a winter coat (I got a Mackage for 60% off, whicjh was still expensive but it's a good cost-per-wear item), or probably a small appliance/kitchen gadget. Canadian Tire always has crazy sales for Black Friday in their kitchen department.

These are the Black Friday tabs I keep open: Sephora, Lululemon, Aritzia, Hudsons Bay, Canadian Tire, Urban Outfitters, Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic, SportsCheck, Kit and Ace, Best Buy, Chapters/Indigo and Staples! Staples low-key has great prices on electronics! I always hit up Bath and Bodyworks too, but they don't offer online shopping in Canada.

Michaels tends to do a buy one, get one free on holiday decor around this time of year, so I always pick up a few new holiday items just before the season starts 🙂 bonus - their candle selection is really good and SO reasonably priced!

Always!

Yes and no. I find a lot of stores have the items for sale well in advance, so there isn't a need to get caught up in the Black Friday/Cyber Monday shipping delays. Some stores do amazing prices, but I've seen a lot that are offering buy one, get one half off, or 20% off regular priced items. Sometimes I don't find the wait to ship and lack of selection worth the hassle of ordering.

Thanksgiving is for family, so I don't love the brick and mortar being open for Thanksgiving. That being said - grocery stores 100% need to be open, even if only for reduced hours. There's always something last minute you need to grab!

Mostly online, but probably both!

Always for others! My family calls me the Christmas queen/Head Elf and it's a responsibility I take VERY seriously hahah. I try to think of ideas all year, so everyone gets thoughtful gifts. I also take advantage of sales to stock up on things like feminine products, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, toothpaste, gloves, scarves and children toys, to donate at all the shelters and giving drives that are going on this time of year. I donate things I have in my home as well, but there are some things I just don't have available to donate, so I pick them up at a discount!

I normally start my holiday shopping the first week of November, with all of it being done by Cyber Monday! It gives me enough time to receive my orders, and wrap everything 🙂 I don't like to leave things till the last minute in case things go out of stock! I HEAVILY suffer from FOMO hahah

I'm open to everything!  

Nothing comes to mind.  I used to like the $10 mini fragrance sets Sephora had sold by companies like NEST.

11/20: What stores/brands are on your radar? Sephora, Ulta, Target, Old Navy.

11/21: Have you put off any purchases specifically for this time of year?  I never put off purchases!  Although I've nee purposely not buying little things due to general anger at inflation.  I bought some headbands full price at Target and was hoping they'd go on sale around this time of year.  They did, so I did a re-buy and plan for a return...I also picked up another two.

11/22: Did you shop any early Black Friday sales?  We bought a Samsung oven/stove that Costco had features for a pre-Black Friday sale.

11/23: Do you think the sales are all they're made out to be?  I guess it depends on what you're in the market for.  Historically I haven't been bowled over by the sales.

11/24: What do you think of brick and mortar stores being open on Thanksgiving?  Many, many years I bemoaned the stores weren't open.  But when they did open I found it a little tasteless.  I think it's for the best that they're closed, but I can see both sides of things.  I think there's plenty of online shopping to make up for it, though.  I also thing stores being closed just makes many apt to shop Black Friday.

11/25: BLACK FRIDAY: Will you be hitting the stores, or shopping online?  I got out of work early, and usually when that happens I hit the stores.  I didn't have anything else to do today, so I hit a local strip mall.  The "highlight" was being a Five Below and having a woman hit her shopping cart right into my ankle.  It still kinda hurts.  I had moved as far out of her way as possible, but I guess she just had to get through.  It's that kind of mentality that irks me.  And I'm not sure why one would need a cart at that store.  Come to think of it, IDK if I've ever even seen a cart in that store!  I had some small things to return to Target and almost braved the store.  However, I was afraid that it'd be a nightmare getting out.  The line of cars was long just to get in.

I made two Ulta purchases yesterday online, and one at Target online.

Nov. 22: I did actually, I needed to replace my headphones and Target had a bunch on sale. 

Nov. 23: Some are really good deals, but I think the bulk of them are pretty meh. 

Nov. 24: It seems fewer and fewer of them are open on Thanksgiving now, I think the couple of years it was “trendy” prompted so much criticism, then during Covid thing were shut down anyway. Returning to the “old ways” with that was easy to do when stuff started opening back up. 

Nov. 25: We might stop at a few stores, and I might place some online orders if I see anything I like. I’m traveling until tomorrow though, and I don’t generally tend to like trying to back a bunch of new stuff haha. 

11/22: Did you shop any early Black Friday sales?  Yes.

11/23: Do you think the sales are all they're made out to be?  Most of them.

11/24: What do you think of brick and mortar stores being open on Thanksgiving?  I don't agree.  Stores should be closed for the day and employees given paid time off.  I realize there are people who don't mind working on a holiday and/or who need the income.  However, do consumers need to shop every day?

11/25: BLACK FRIDAY: Will you be hitting the stores, or shopping online?  Online.  Mom and I used to go to the stores when I was a kid, but that was back when it wasn't the big deal it is today.

Is there really a difference anymore? I mean, retailers bombard us with BF/CM promos for most of November, so I no longer distinguish between the 2 days. I do like the idea of Small Business Saturday, though it’s something AmEx pushes hard (complete with a ®) and I usually don’t wait til the Saturday after Thanksgiving to shop small businesses. 

When I used to visit my parents each Thanksgiving, my mother and I would pick a mall to visit on Black Friday. That was usually fun despite crowds and our very different tastes in nearly everything. 😄 

Everything. Seriously: all of the things. I understand if some small businesses can’t support sales though. 

11/18: What will you be shopping for? Beauty, electronics, fashion...?
Yes. 😅 

I don’t often have a predetermined list of must-haves unless I’m shopping for a friend or family member’s wish list or need to replace something specific, so I’m open to any item category. This year I needed to replace my Fitbit Charge 2, so I waited to shop for that. 

I don’t recall. I’ve gotten lots of good deals over the years, especially lately with 3rd party cash back programs + discounted (or gifted) gift cards. 

Too many to list. My inbox gets flooded each year with offers and I pay attention to the highest cash back and/or exclusive coupon offerings via Rakuten, RetailMeNot, etc. This year I’ve particularly kept tabs on various indie nail polish brands, Barnes & Noble, Fitbit, Bombas (they make my favorite wool and running/athletic socks ever), and a few bigger cosmetic brands—especially if I suspect certain makeup lines are being discontinued. I don’t need a new laptop yet, otherwise I’d keep an eye out for that too. 

Fitbit, Bombas, and a new pair of Allbirds wool loungers (the cute purple fluffy ones). 

Yep: more nail polish sales than I meant to, plus Allbirds and a few others. Ulta started their sale early and I took advantage. 

Yeah, generally speaking. Depending on what you’re looking for, there have been some good deals out there. 

I wish they weren’t. I understand some employees don’t mind or actually prefer/need to work on holidays to earn extra cash, especially since everyone doesn’t have family or friends to spend Thanksgiving with. But I’d still like them all to get a full day off with holiday pay. I don’t go out to shop anywhere—not even Starbucks, Dunkin, a drugstore, etc.—on Thanksgiving day unless there’s an extreme emergency, and I don’t even cook or participate in big Thanksgiving get-togethers often anymore. “Extreme emergency” = I’m out of [OTC med, usually Claritin-D or Excedrin], toilet paper, etc. 

Shopping online, which I’ve mostly taken care of already. I plan to stay the heck home today. 😂 

11/22: Did you shop any early Black Friday sales? Yes

11/23: Do you think the sales are all they're made out to be? Yes

11/24: What do you think of brick and mortar stores being open on Thanksgiving? I know Asian places are always open.  I think at the end of the day the stores care about making money and some people get to chose if they want the overtime or not.  I have worked every holiday at the flower shop and we did get to close earlier.

11/25: BLACK FRIDAY: Will you be hitting the stores, or shopping online? online

11/21: Have you put off any purchases specifically for this time of year? Nope

11/20: What stores/brands are on your radar?. Sephora and Talbots.

11/21: Have you put off any purchases specifically for this time of year?. I was on a no/low buy for the majority of the year so I could take advantage of the year-end sales.

11/20: What stores/brands are on your radar? Went to Ulta but left empty handed. Got a

bunch of hand soaps at Bath and Body because the soaps were $2.95 and I had a free body item and 25% off.  I’m almost done Xmas shopping and don’t really need anything else but the deal has to be really good. 

Nov. 20: I generally just take a look at what Amazon, Target, Macy’s, Sephora, and Ulta have to offer. Banana Republic pretty reliably does 40-50% off, so I’ll usually pick up a couple of items from them too. 

11/19: Best Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals you ever got?. I don't remember,  but on sale is better than full price! 😁

@Titian06 @Yea totally agree. 

29 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 166 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos1
  • set-of-accessories-and-cosmetics-available-for-sale-royalty-free-image-1664480490.jpg
testing