Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

A Year of Beauty- Photography Challenge- Year 2

September/October is here so break time is over!

Time to start with some fundamentals. Photography has it's own set of "rules". Which of course are meant to be broken, but it's really helpful to know some basics. Starting with the rule of 3rds in composition. What you do is place your subject on one of the "imaginary" lines that cut a photo into thirds ( 9 sections). I do this rule often, but sometimes parents don't like it in their pictures and want the subjects centered. Included is images with the lines showing. Just basic set up so you can see it. One of the easiest ways to get something on one of the lines is to crop it down. When you crop an image you usually get the lines that show up, using those lines tells you where the "thirds" are, and just line your subject up with one of them. 

If you want to get really technical I encourage you to look up the Golden Ratio and learn about it. It has many names and it is way too mathematical for my brain to comprehend. To my knowledge I don't think I have ever taken a golden ratio image. I have golden triangle but not ratio. Check it out! photoworkout dot com/golden-ratio-photography/  

Hopefully you can see the lines...I should have thought it out and used a dark background. 

Photo Crop 1.jpgPhoto Crop 2.jpg

What a great first year we had!! Even if I dropped the ball sometimes! I decided to change things up this year with the themes. They will be a little more challenging this year.

2023-

April- DOF 2 images.

May- Flash/Artificial Light.

June- What you see vs. What I see

July- Break

August- Break

September/October- Rule of 3rds.

2022 challenges-

April- Lipstick

May- Eye Shadow

June- Primer/Foundation/Concealer/CC/BB

July- Highlighters

August- Brushes

September- Sheet Masks

October- Hair Care

November- Fragrance

December- Nail Polish

January- Blush/Bronzer

February- Candles/Wax Melts/ Diffusers

The challenge and "rules"-

1. Flat lays and staged photos only. I'll post examples below. But no faces or people allowed in your photos. (Though you can include photographs).

2. All photos you take must be your own. 

3. Post as many images as you want, you have a whole month to get creative with each theme. Post one, post everyday, doesn't matter.

4. Let's talk gear and products! Tell us about your image. List the products and colors, talk to us about your concept and how it came to be, taken with your phone or DSLR? 

Here are some helpful reads- digital-photography-school dot com/flat-lay-photography/  and digital-photography-school dot com/tips-for-getting-started-with-still-life-photography/

Here are some of my example images I've taken in the past-

Flatlay 1.jpg

Gucci Flora Gardenia.jpg

Floral Street Sunflower Pop.jpg

Gucci Bloom Eau De Toilette 1 oz/ 30 mL 

Floral Street Sunflower Pop Eau De Parfum Travel Spray 0.34 oz/ 10 mL 

Tags:

Re: A Year of Beauty- Photography Challenge- Year 2

That's so good to know @fatimamummy. You like having the grid up on your phone then? I have been finding that having it up makes me much more aware of The Rule of Thirds. My knee jerk reaction is to just place things and set up my shots the way I normally do and then when I pull out my camera and see the grid, I think "oh, yeah, right, The Rule of Thirds..." Then, I just stand there wondering if I should re-adjust my layout to go with the Rule of Thirds. So far, the answer has been "no" but a lot has to do with timing. We shall see. This is a reminder too that I need to put up my first few attempts at this technique.

@itsfi Haha! Rules are meant to be broken! But it's fun seeing differences between following them and not.

Well, if they're meant to be broken, or at least bent, then I'm doing really well @Samtian! A+ for me! Hahaha! I want to do a head on shot with the grid and the rule of thirds so once I get that taken, I shall put up a post. Soon.

@itsfi Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

After experiencing Sephoria, I have been inspired by my fellow BICer's @itsfi @Samtian @fatimamummy . Last night I tried doing a little photoshoot of a recent haul. I have lots to learn but I want to learn and improve any skills I may have.

Spoiler
 1000005482.jpg

Cross posted on Overzealous and Overjoyous October Hauls 2023 

It is beautiful cozy and visually pleasing photo @Mellmars1185 . I can feel all the feels of fall season. You have a good eye for composition.

Keep practicing is the key. I have been doing it for a few years now and still sometimes I take 50 photos of a single lipstick before I can get one that I actually like. 

@fatimamummy Thank you. I definitely have a lot to learn. I should make time for it.

@Mellmars1185 Whoo that is a fun perspective! Nail polish is a headache for me to photograph. I'll have to try this viewpoint next time. 

I first saw this picture posted on the other thread and I noticed right away how you made a set and props. 🤎🧡 Your photo has a really nice look@Mellmars1185. Way to go for your first try! 😊

@CynthieLu Thank you so much!! I am excited to kearn some techniques from all of the experts here.

Nice pic, @Mellmars1185 !  Enjoy your new hobby! 📸

@Titian06 Thank you. I have a long way to go but I am definitely inspired to learn more. 

Yay for photoshoots @Mellmars1185! 😃 So happy to see you here! I’m all for grabbing your phone & jumping into it with a snap here, another there! @Samtian does a wonderful job putting together and describing a monthly theme or technique and then giving us an opportunity to give it a try and also learning from the gorgeous shots by others here, like the phenomenal @fatimamummy. 📸 I always amazed by their talent and skill, and feel like I learn so, so much here. I also love that the monthly themes give me an approach / technique to focus on for the month. 🥰

Your pic has those cozy autumnal vibes with the pumpkins and the background colors. 😍 Makes me want to do my nails too! 

@itsfi I'm so behind on posting lol. 

There's probably enough of us behind on that to form a club @Samtian. Ha! 

@itsfi Thank you! I have a lot to learn and hope to participate in the challenges. I am open for any tips along the way 📷

Better late than never with my entry! 

What you see looking at my set up. This is not what the cats see though 😕 This is my lopsided light box. I usually use it on my bed because I am old and it hurts bending over on the ground lol. So I usually have to find something to try to level it because my bottles or round objects go rolling. I haven't been successful at a full flat level yet. 

June Photo Challenge 1.jpg

What you see when you look into the box

June Photo Challenge 2.jpg

My camera is still put away from a trip I did so I used my phone for this. Google Pixel 6. I cropped and brightened it in Photoshop. I should have taken away the markings on the white backing, but my screen itself is dirty and George is blocking it so I can't see what I am doing. I also should have cleaned the silver bottle 😅 and the jewelry locket thing. 

What I see-

3.jpg

@Samtian I love your flatly. Specially the second shot looks editorial.

@fatimamummy ❤️ thank you!!

Beautiful @Samtian! Your flat lay is fantastic. I’m reminiscing of Atelier Colognes just looking at your photos. Wish they hadn’t pulled out of the US. 😌 

@itsfi yep Silver Iris and Citron d'Erable. My top two favorites.

1,428 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos213
  • Flatlay 1.jpg
  • Gucci Flora Gardenia.jpg
  • Floral Street Sunflower Pop.jpg
  • giphy.gif_cid=ecf05e4707kuk1d7up8sna6vv3harhrxvk3pf799gnwbmp5d&rid=giphy
  • Ugh 12.jpg
  • E6DBB541-CE4D-4AA9-B406-F107FD4C5736.jpeg
  • 72E9C661-2665-47E4-B14A-65F935B7DE04.jpeg
  • 8144ABBF-F9EF-4A14-A90A-67CC7B14F5BF.jpeg
  • C2BC33C2-657B-4B54-8567-C1FF81A739E6.jpeg