Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

✨❄️December 2022 Challenge - 12 Days of Makeup Inventory - Show Off and Catalog Your Collection!!❄️✨

I saw the "TwelveDaysOfInventory" challenge on Instagram and thought it would be fun to port over to the BIC for a December (or whenever you're up for it) challenge. Use this to visualize, catalog (maybe find) and celebrate your makeup collection!! 💄

Feel free to follow the schedule below or make it work best for you.

[EDIT] December 12 - Nail Polish

December 13 - Primers

December 14 - Foundations, Concealers

December 15 - Setting/Finishing Powders & Sprays 

December 16 - Bronzers, Face Palettes

December 17 - Blushes

December 18 - Highlighters

December 19 - Brow Products, Mascaras, Eyeliners

December 20 - Eye Primers, Stand Alone Eyeshadows 

December 21 - Single Shadows / Homebrew Palettes

December 22 - Premade Eyeshadow Palettes

December 23 - Lip Liners, Masks, Oils & Glosses

December 24 - Lipsticks

December 25-31 - Bonus Items (Brushes / Tools; Perfumes / Colognes / Scents; Skincare; Candles; etc)

Please no negative comments about the size or contents of others' collections, this is a place to celebrate our collections. Self-reflection is always welcome though 💖. Please don't take this as an impetus to declutter (unless you want to!). 

Looking forward to seeing your gorgeous collections!! ❄️💄

(H/t to @  _kaitscollection, who created this tag, if you also end up doing the tag on Instagram please use the hashtag # TwelveDaysOfInventory and credit her. Thank you!! ).

Re: ✨❄️December 2022 Challenge - 12 Days of Makeup Inventory - Show Off and Catalog Your Collection!!❄️✨

Thank you, @Kim888!!

Re: ✨❄️December 2022 Challenge - 12 Days of Makeup Inventory - Show Off and Catalog Your Collection!!❄️✨

Wow, this is a great stash @haleyvvvv Ahhh the GVXE primer,  I'm so curious to try that one 😍 I know it gets some good love on here. 

I *really* find that the GXVE priming oil works well for for my dry skin, @CynthieLu!! I did get it in gratis for clarification.

Spoiler
I can't in good conscience recommend Gwen Stefani's brand given her history of cultural appropriation. I wouldn't have purchased anything from the brand and wouldn't have tried this if I hadn't received in gratis. 

Took me a while to decide how to present my nail polish collection, because I am not pulling out all those bottles for photos. 😂 (I lack the patience for that.) What I will pull into photos are all my swatch sticks. I've swatched everything in my collection, and these sticks are how I pick mani colors. 

For now, I keep most swatch sticks loose in countertop drawers. I'm dividing a couple more drawers to hold the rest.For now, I keep most swatch sticks loose in countertop drawers. I'm dividing a couple more drawers to hold the rest.

If more yellow polishes performed well, perhaps I'd own more than this. :DIf more yellow polishes performed well, perhaps I'd own more than this. 😄

Grand total: 395 polishes. 

Numbers by category: 
Spoiler
Finishes/types of polish I keep separate from everything else, regardless of color: 

• Plain jellies: 33
  • Thermals: 36
  • Toppers: 38

Everything else is grouped by color: 

• Purples: 54
  • Blues: 54
  • Teals & aquas: 17
  • Greens: 46
  • Yellows: 13
  • Oranges & corals: 16
  • Reds: 22
  • Pinks & berries: 18
  • Blacks: 12
  • Greys: 7
  • Browns: 6
  • Creams & whites: 7
  • Silvers: 8
  • Golds, champagnes, & coppers: 8

At some point, I should truly catalog all of these in a spreadsheet. I've restarted a workbook for my lipstick hoard to keep all my "what I own by each brand" lists together (fun fact: 64 of all my bullets are Pat McGrath), so I don't rebuy things by mistake. Need that failsafe for nail polish too. I own more lipstick than nail polish, so that catalog takes priority. 

Bottle storage: I've posted these photos in a couple other threads, but I currently keep most polishes in cases like this: 
These cases are double-sided. Each side has one extra long (eh, extra tall) slot.These cases are double-sided. Each side has one extra long (eh, extra tall) slot.
Smith & Cult bottles are too wide for those cases, so they're on a carousel for now: 
A cubby in the hutch atop my vanity/desk.A cubby in the hutch atop my vanity/desk.
This week I'm redoing that hutch area and might remove that carousel. The S&C bottles will still live on that shelf, somehow. So will (hopefully) all my plain jellies. 

Ahhhh, look at all those pretty polish sticks @WinglessOne😍 I may need to pick up some of those storage cases when I get to doing a better job of organizing my stash. Wish there were cases that fit the Smith & Cult bottles.

Fantastic Polish collection @WinglessOne!

Your collection is absolutely spectacular @WinglessOne! I can understand not taking the bottles out. 😅 The swatches are good enough to show us your impressive collection. I love how nicely organized you have it. So many gorgeous colors! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@WinglessOne  Such an impressive collection! I was looking for a different way to organize my swatch sticks - this is such a great idea! Keeping them on the rings has kind of annoyed me - if you put too many on one, it gets too difficult to add more, especially if you have them arranged in a specific way. Thanks so much for sharing! 😃🙌

Thanks @Shosh85 ! My original plan was to keep all the sticks in magnetic cups/containers on the wall, similar to how I store eyeliners and a few other things. I might still do that, once I figure out where in my bedroom to set up a magnetic wall space. For now, the drawers work well. 

And I know what  you mean about the rings: they drive me nuts. Keeping sticks loose in cups or drawers stops me from getting super fussy about arranging them by color gradient, unlike rings. I can't just randomly add sticks to a ring, I must arrange them very specifically by color. Makes that ring of color-changing thermal polishes super frustrating. 😂🤦‍♀️ 

@WinglessOne I love the swatch sticks! They look so pretty all together!

Thanks @missjeanie ! 

@WinglessOne 

There's something about swatch sticks that can be even more satisfying to look at than the bottle themselves. Love seeing pics of yours!

So, you have 395 polishes, and still have even more lippies? 🤤 Ahhhhhhhh, that's insane (in the best possible way lol!)

Thanks @RGbrown ! Yeah, I have, um, several more lipsticks than polishes. I'm long overdue for another big declutter round. 🤦‍♀️ Should also put myself on a lipstick no-buy next year, but that failed miserably the last time I tried that. 🤣 

@WinglessOne 

I totally understand that...the harder I try to enforce a no buy, the worse my spending seems to get 🙃

@WinglessOne , it's amazing to see everything together! 

@WinglessOne  Your collections are a dream. You are so organized. It’s beautiful 🤩. The spreadsheet idea is a really good one. I am so impressed 🥰

@WinglessOne You have commendable organization skills, @WinglessOne! Your collection is otherworldly…I don’t think I would be able to make a decision half of the time 😂 So many options, and pretty ones, at that!

So many good choices @WinglessOne !!!! It looks like you could be a professional with your swatch sticks !

I get the impression you like blue, green, and purple, @WinglessOne ; correct me if I'm wrong. 🤣  I like the the idea of storing the swatch sticks in kitchen organizers.  I may pursue that route for mine...if I ever get them done. 🙄

Your swatch sticks are a dream @WinglessOne there are so many! 🤩 I can just imagine how fun it would be going through them trying to decide on your next mani 😄 Thank you for sharing them 💗

18 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos663
  • These cases are double-sided. Each side has one extra long (eh, extra tall) slot.
  • A cubby in the hutch atop my vanity/desk.
  • PXL_20221212_010735659~2.jpg
  • IMG_20221212_020309975.jpg
  • IMG_20221212_020820519.jpg
  • IMG_20221212_022020015.jpg
  • IMG_20221212_022447948.jpg
  • IMG_20221212_020455757.jpg
  • 7526464A-84E9-453F-9933-D1CB5E79C61C.jpeg
  • 746942B2-FDF0-4CDF-83D7-616A19026681.jpeg
  • 0A0E2B1A-02B8-451A-A410-72CA26E385E4.jpeg
  • 620ACB0E-49E5-4D3D-946E-346AC2AA29DD.jpeg
  • 20221212_204605.jpg
  • For now, I keep most swatch sticks loose in countertop drawers. I'm dividing a couple more drawers to hold the rest.
  • If more yellow polishes performed well, perhaps I'd own more than this. :D
testing