Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

lip gloss

when you pick a lip gloss what do you look for

Re: lip gloss

I only buy half sheer, half opaque. Just a little change in lip color that isn't as bold as a lipstick. I also look for thickness, I don't like thin, watery lip glosses, because they can be wiped off or absorbed into the lips easily. Lastly, I love for my glosses to have a shimmery, glittery effect.

The right color, moisturizing, doesn't slide to the corners of your mouth...that's it. Wait!!! I like MAC lipglasses.

The top 3 things I take into consideration when purchasing a lip gloss is: stickiness, the staying power, and whether it is fragranced.

@badgalj I look for something that isn't sheer, that isn't too wet looking, and that has color longevity.  I used to swear by lip gloss, but have steered clear of it for years b/c I could no long find any that met my specifications.  I agree that the Lancome is a very nice formulation.  I ordered a few from Sephora but the colors weren't right for me.  I wish I had explored the other shades at the Lancome counter, b/c now with the pandemic I have no idea how I will be able to have a sense about colors again.

@badgalj Here's what I look for, regardless of color: 

1. Shine - it's pointless for me to buy a gloss if it's not glossy. 
  2. Stickiness - I hate feeling like there's glue between my lips each time I close them. I love gloss to be as close to non-sticky as possible. 
  3. Bleeding/feathering - my favorite glosses don't do either of those bad things. If a gloss bleeds or feathers a bit and I can stop it with a lip liner or lip primer, then we're still good. If nothing stops the bleed, then that gloss has gotta go. 
  4. Longevity - this is where many glosses fail my performance test. I never expect any lip product (aside from a liquid matte) to survive a meal, but I do expect drink survival. The best glosses will survive several cups of coffee/water/tea/etc. and last for hours. 
  5. Color payoff (for pigmented glosses) - this varies: some glosses are supposed to be opaque, others are marketed as soft shiny color washes. Either way, I want color. If I wanted a clear gloss, I'd... just... use a clear gloss. 😄 

My favorite opaque gloss of all is still Lancome L'Absolu Lacquer (can't tag it but Sephora sells it: https://www.sephora.com/product/l-absolu-lacquer-P431511?icid2=products%20grid:p431511). Sephora doesn't sell all available shades, and I think a few shades have been discontinued. But for full pigmentation, ridiculous shine (these live up to their Lacquer name), buildable opacity (from sheer to fully opaque in 2-3 coats), almost zero stickiness, and unbelievably long weartime, Lancome hit it way out of the park when they released this gloss line. I own and love many shades of this gloss. 

My favorite clear gloss is still NARS Lip Gloss Triple X . My favorite sheer/semi-sheer gloss to layer over a base of lipstick/pencil is Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer Fenty Glow  (actually several shades of Gloss Bomb, but especially the original). And I love several shades of PAT McGRATH LABS LUST: Lip Gloss Twilo (had to pick a random shade for tagging purposes), either alone or over another lipstick. 

ok mentioning this because not one else has said it: but the APPLICATOR makes a big difference for me. I want an applicator to be able to apply a good amount, not too gloppy though. Also, I personally hate little brushes for lip glosses I prefer the doe foot. 

I look for flattering color that is super glossy but not sticky. I prefer a gloss that has a natural flavor but not too fragranced. I don't like gritty texture of glitterly gloss so if it has glitter it has to be super fine. I also look for a lip gloss thats cruelty free/clean! 

@badgalj I prefer lighter pigmentation and ones that last for a long time.  

@badgalj I look for texture, smell, pigmentation and color range. 

Hi @badgalj!

I agree that lip gloss should not be sticky since hair might get stuck to it or look stringy.

In my opinion, clear lip gloss is the most versatile, since it can be use on top of lipsticks and liquid lipsticks without changing the color.  Some people prefer tinted lip gloss for a more natural look.

The #1 most important thing I look for in lip products (or any skincare/ makeup products) is where it is made in.  I 100% avoid all Made in China/ PRC products, no exceptions.  Many of their products have harmful ingredients and chemicals in them that you do not want to accidentally consume, like when eating or licking your lips.

RE: lip gloss

Definitely something that doesn’t have a super sticky formula and also something that has good staying power!
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 12 Contributors
testing