Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

What to do if you don't like the taste of a lipstick?

I was going through my lipstick collection, and was reminded of how I dislike the taste of Lancome, L'Oreal and Revlon lipsticks.  The latter two remind me pretty much how I remember them as a child, but now I can't stand the taste.  I guess its kind of like biting into cream or lotion.  Is there a primer out there that will cancel it out?  Or any other tricks? 💄

Re: What to do if you don't like the taste of a lipstick?

@greeneyedgirl107  Could you top them with a gloss with a better flavour or put a flavour clear balm on top? 

@ather I was so busy thinking of underneath that I didn't think of on top.  I like the idea of a clear lip balm although idk of a good one that wouldn't drag too much.  Any ideas?

@greeneyedgirl107  I’ve been loving the Rhode salted caramel lip treatment I think it’s thin enough and would give a great gloss effect. Tower 28 Beauty ShineOn Lip Jelly Non-Sticky Gloss  has a great flavour too. 

@ather thanks for the rec.  I'm looking for a non-gloss topper, tho.  Maybe something in stick form.  I did buy some SC clear glosses during the sale, but I plan to try them with Matte lipsticks as I dislike Matte finishes.  For lipsticks that taste bad, I'm trying to preserve the lipstick look, if that makes any sense.   The caramel taste does sound good, tho!

I can't speak to everyone's experience or this just happens to be my own experience - but even with heavily fragranced lipsticks and thick glosses, I don't end up tasting the formula as I take measures to prevent it slipping around as much as possible and am pleased to say I do not even know what lipsticks tastes like (I sympathize that you unfortunately do taste it too much). It might be worth giving it a go if you haven't tried prepping and/ or setting after lip application with specific lipsticks you hate the taste of.

I either use a tiny dot of a good eye primer (I have Zoeva matte primer and Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion), or I have also used the MAC prep + set spray a couple of times and it's worked out well for me as prep before lipstick or gloss application. I have the lip prep primer by MAC now but am yet to use it so cannot comment yet (I will update here when I do).
I also use SEPHORA COLLECTION All Day Makeup Setting Spray 2.7 oz/ 80 mL immediately after I do my lip, and sometimes do a light wash of face powder over my face (I use the Juvia's Place I Am Magic Loose Setting Powder) as well.

@greeneyedgirl107 - If you have one you like, tap it on (short up and down taps, like dabbing).  That's what I do so I don't smear my lipstick, but still get the benefits of the balm, lip gloss, or whatever I'm topping with.

@Titian06 good idea!  My current lip balm that would use is Palmer's.   Do u have one u rec?

@greeneyedgirl107 - I use LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Peach (I don't notice a color or a flavor/scent) or Vaseline in the tube.

@Titian06 I have both those!  I'm looking for something that won't leave the lipstick looking glossy, tho.  Any thoughts?

Sorry, @greeneyedgirl107 !  I just dab a bit on, just enough so the lipstick and my lips don't feel dry.  I don't think my lips look glossy (I don't like glossy/shiny lips or makeup), maybe semi-matte or satiny?

@Titian06 that's a relief!

11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 21 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing