Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Lip Lovers

Sephora no longer selling Kat Von D celebutard

According to the examiner sephora pulled celebutard of the shelves due to an outrage across the Internet a celebutard is defined by urban dictionary is a famous stupid person. Sephora has issued an apology but what do you guy and girls think? 

Re: Sephora no longer selling Kat Von D celebutard

Aww, I hope they rename it. If they didn't, maybe you can still grab a couple from your local store? even if it's not out front, maybe there's a couple in the back? Good luck to people who like the shades! I recently fell in love with a rare shade and was trying to get it matched instore, finally figured out how ppl felt when their favs are discontinued. T.T

Heading to the store tonight. Probably going to say "I know you had to have them pulled, but you have some in the back maybe? Please sell them to me I will love you forever" At least they can try and match it...I'm just scared that was my one time to wear color on my lips.

I'm sure they'll just rename it and put it back out.  It might take a few months, but I doubt something they put out there so often will just die because of the name.  

I remember a similar outrage regarding a name of an eyeshadow by The Balm in I think, their Nude 'Tude palette.  They ended up renaming the shade.  Maybe they will do this for this lipstick.

I think the Celebutard issue is blown way out of proportion. I think it was sneaky way of hinting "this is a color similar to Paris Hilton's lip color" which was Prrr by MAC (sp?) if I'm not much mistaken. I have special needs people in my family and I wasn't offended nor did I think the name was in anyway a knock at them. However we're so insanely politically correct these days that it's hard to say anything without offending someone, and I'm sure it will only get worse with time.

I agree with you 100%! I also have someone in my family with special needs and am not offended at all. I think people pick the randomest things to get upset over. GUARANTEED the same people causing this uproar have called other people worse names than what this lipstick supposedly insinuates. People just want to feel like they're part of something important and taking a lipstick off the market isn't going to get them anywhere. 

I totally agree with you, it was blown out of proportion. My brother has special needs and me and my family didn't find this offensive .

I don't want to disrespect anyone but isn't there a word and or description for everything on the urban dictionary?  I mean you look up something and there's like 20 different meanings.  Looking at the name I never thought it would offend anyone but if it does I'm sorry it did.

Haha, Urban Dictionary is where I go when I can't figure out why BT bleeped my words. =P

hahaha yeah!  or when I can't figure out something Smiley Wink

Exactly.. There is a bad meaning of a lot of common words... I don't really find something wrong but it was sephora's choice and they were the  bigger person today.

I saw this in SJCP today....a whole bunch of them. I don't think they are aware that it is supposed to be pulled out so for those who are looking to stock up on them...check out you local JCPenney sephora. They also have a lot of goodies on sale. I saw KVD sinner rollerball for $9.99 and illamasqua nail polishes for $4.

Thanks Smiley Very Happy

You're welcome :-)

I got the sinner rollerball today for $5 in my SIJCP. I am giving it as part of a gift. Smiley Happy

I don't like this color personally. However being PC to this extent is completely "retarded". For starters this is not meant to be insulting to special needs. It is meant to be demeaning to people in Hollywood like Paris Hilton and other twits. Though I can understand how being put on the same level as Paris Hilton could be insulting.........

On another note, has anyone ever called someone with special needs retarded? I know the actual definition of it is fitting for people with certain problems but I've never actually seen it used. 

The thing with outrage about stuff like this is it doesn't even benefit anyone. The handicapped people of the world have bigger things to worry about than lipstick. They could care less, or probably didn't even notice it. I probably would have never noticed the significance of the name if some one hadn't thrown a hissy fit. This is all done just to stroke somebodies ego. Just like all political correctness. 

People like them are the ones to wine and jump up and down about injustice. Be it for money, fifteen seconds of fame, or that little feel good gold star they award themselves. Meanwhile the special needs child drowns in a bowl of oatmeal because they were far too busy running to the lawyers office. (This is a very morbid visual, it disturbs me even though it came out of my own brain.) 

I'll end by saying what I always say. There are many things to be outraged at in the world, lipstick is not one of them. 

While I agree with you, I also empathize with those that were offended. I am fortunate to not have anyone with special needs in my family so I cannot relate. After all it is just lipstick and just a name. A name change would mean nothing to me or Sephora and yet it would mean a lot to these people.

as the mother of a special needs child, i can say that the word "**bleep**" and "retarded" are absolutely disgusting and derogatory. it is one of my biggest fears for my son that once he reaches school age he will be taunted with these words and it breaks my heart. the lipstick is not something to be outraged at, but casually throwing around words like "**bleep**" is. 

and again. i did not even put two and two together in my own mind to realize that (obvioiusly) celebutard = celebrity + **bleep**, so no, i was not outraged at the lipstick, but i do understand it, and i am glad that once it was brought to sephora's attention they pulled it. i'm sure it's going to be back on shelves soon enough with a simple name change. 

Lipstick is not what people are being outraged about.

People are outraged because of the candid use of a slur. And outrage about this DOES benefit a lot of people, namely those who have special needs and their friends and family, because it brings light to an issue that concerns them. Google this celebutard controversy - when I did, plenty of blog and forum posts came up from people who were upset by the name because they know someone with special needs (they were usually mothers) and were appalled that an entire production and marketing team signed off on this name.

Also - yes, plenty of people have called people with special needs "retarded". I remember hearing it be said about special needs children in my school since I was in the fifth grade. It is often not used "simply as a word". When it is said, it is said with disdain or used as an insult.You are very fortunate to not have encountered this ignorant and insensitive behavior before, but plenty of other people have, and that is why they are outraged.

Obviously I know it's not the lipstick they are outraged about. It's the name of a lipstick, either way it's just as pointless.

I don't need to Google it. I can assume exactly what the problem is, just like every single one of these silly things that have come before it. I could care less what they change the name to. I could care less what the name is or will be. What I care about is people getting their panties in a knot for nothing. When will this end? Probably when lawyers stop making money. It's becoming a major industry and everyone who cares is just fueling it. 

My family is all either military or construction workers. If the use of the word **bleep** is offensive (are they seriously bleeping this.......that's pathetic) then never leave your house. Otherwise you will be bawling after every five steps you take. You know what to do when someone say's something you don't like, ignore them. Your giving them attention and actually making them relevant. Probably boosting their brand from all the free advertising so really it's counterproductive. 

A word only has a negative connotation if you let it. By thinking about it you are making it insulting. Most people don't associate it with something negative because they don't think about it. 

Let's stop and think there's all the horrible words rappers use. I choose rappers because I could probably find enough material to make a book. I'm sure many of you listen to that. When everyone goes out and starts telling the rappers they need to stop being "demeaning" (or any other music, movies, video games) I will completely take this seriously. It's selected outrage, if someone you like does something it's fine. However if it's someone you don't like or it's a cause that you care about suddenly it's wrong. It's not that I don't care about special needs children, I don't care about outrage, no exceptions. I find that rappers are demeaning to women. I don't listen to it. I don't buy their music. They can do whatever they want, I won't open a lawsuit or demand an apology. I call it garbage and move on with my life.

From what I can tell this lipstick line has been sold since 2008 ( I can find reviews on the color Celebutard back to 2010 at least). So it took up to five years for anyone to notice? 

I think people just need to toughen up and stop taking offense. I know mothers worry for their children and I know kids get picked on. Kids will get picked on over everything. Hair color, religion, ethnicity, fat, thin, ugly, pretty, it will happen. Unless you are the most average person and conform to fit everyone else you meet and give up having any opinions on your own. It builds character, that sounds bad but it really does. They are going to have to go out in the world one day and they will need to know how to handle themselves. If they never face any negativity until they reach eighteen then they are probably going to need some medical help. 

P.S.- I'm not outraged by their outrage. I just enjoy long rants. If anyone is outraged by what I said please do not respond (well I'll probably just ignore you after all that I really don't know what there is left to say). If you are bored and would just like to post your own rant in response to mine while eating a hot pocket (with pepperoni) feel free to do so. 

I'm also kinda surprised that none of the mods have said anything.

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • image.jpg