Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Prep for Lipstick

I'm sure this had been asked a million times already but here we go anyway. I suffer from dry, chapped, flakey lips and I always do my lipstick last. I see these youtubers apply lipstick so flawlessly but I can't seem to apply lipstick without it sinking into my dry cracks, and lipstick getting flaky from dry skin.

I prep with moisturizer and always have to scrub the dead skin off before I apply.

Do you guys have any tips to help avoid chapped lips when you want to wear a matte lipstick?

Re: Prep for Lipstick

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond! My mask at work rubs against my lips for 13hrs and I feel as though I can't do enough to soften my lips to keep them from cracking and bleeding. I appreciate all the feedback!
I did buy the burts bees lip treatment to see how that works for me as well!

Hi @DORKlol ! Here's my lip care routine: 

1. Lipstick removal, if there's still any on my lips (PM only) - wipe off with a water-dampened cloth, usually one of my reusable "cotton" (bamboo) rounds. For stubborn lipsticks or liquid mattes, I rub a tiny bit of Vaseline on my lips, let it sit for a minute, and then wipe everything off. A facial oil (that contains no perfuming essential oils) can also remove stubborn lipsticks. 
  2. Exfoliate a couple times a month - our lips have the thinnest skin on our face, so over-exfoliating them is very easy, especially when we're also wiping them daily with napkins (while eating/drinking) and tissues/cloths (to remove lipstick). It's tempting to exfoliate daily to remove all the chapped flakey skin, but overdoing it can lead to more irritation and flaking. So I use a sugar scrub just once or twice a month. I usually use a ColourPop Lippie Scrub. You could also just use a damp washcloth for this. 
  3. Hydrating lip serum - not everyone needs this step, but it helps my dry lips immensely. I use a product that's not marketed as a serum: Glossier Bubblewrap. It's marketed as a lip + eye cream, but I only use it on my lips and, for me, it's not moisturizing enough on its own. But it's fantastic as a lip serum under my balm: it contains hyaluronic acid and peptides to boost hydration, plus squalane, avocado and sunflower oils, and blueberry extract. I apply it to damp lips and let it sink in while I do the rest of my skincare routine. 
  4. Lip balm - plain ol' Aquaphor Ointment. It's petrolatum-based, making it a great occlusive product that'll seal in hydration. You could also use CeraVe Healing Ointment, or even Vaseline, though some folks find the latter feels too greasy. Right before applying my balm, I tap a little water on my lips to give the balm more hydration to seal into my skin. 
  5. Sunscreen (AM only) - since Supergoop reformulated their Acai Fusion SPF 30 balm (it's now Supergoop! PLAY Lip Balm SPF 30 with Acai ), my new favorite sunscreen balm is Vanicream Lip Protectant/Sunscreen which is also SPF 30. It has no yucky sunscreen smell or taste, and it never makes my lips feel dry. 
  6. Lip primer (only when I use misbehaving lipsticks or liquid mattes) - my favorite is MAC Prep + Prime Lip. I apply it, let it sit for 2-3 minutes to set up, and then apply lipstick. It helps control lipsticks prone to bleeding/feathering, slightly fills a few of my lip lines (though you'll always see some lip lines with liquid mattes), and adds an extra layer of anti-dryness protection for my lips. 

Also: 95+% of liquid mattes on the market turn my lips into a desert, regardless of my lip care routine. So, part of your problem might be the lipsticks you're using. And remember, many youtubers use special lighting and/or filters in their videos to make their lipstick appear "flawless." The way they look on video probably wouldn't match how they'd look in person. Don't be discouraged! 🙂 

I would suggest the Burts Bees lip balms. They are good for dry skin. I use it and I deal with eczema from time to time.

My first recommendation is to look at the ingredients in your chapstick/lip balm if you wear any and look out for mint/menthol. Although this can be cooling on the lips, menthol is extremely irritating to the skin on our lips. Also look out for camphor, phenol, simple alcohols, and salicylic acid, as these ingredients can also be irritating. You said you moisturize them, check that the moisturizer you're using doesn't have salicylic acid. My second recommendation is to use a balm without the above ingredients (when picking one out, it's also good to avoid fragrance and high concentrations of essential oils), and apply before bed, sealing the moisture in with vaseline. The vaseline will create a barrier that will lock moisture in, however it's important to use it last because the barrier will also keep moisture out. My last recommendation is to not exfoliate too often and to use sunscreen on your lips, as sun damage/exposure can-- you guessed it, be irritating to the lips. Jack Black has a sunscreen lip balm, I've included it here so you can check it out. I hope some of this helps!

What ever you do try not to lick your lips so much. The tongue wipes away the natural oils on the lips. 

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing