Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Pat McGrath Mini Lipsticks?

My favourite lipstick was recently discontinued, which lined up with it melting. I really want to try the Pat McGrath mini kit since it has Elson which is a close colour match to my favourite melted one and a couple other nice colours. Is the mini formula the same as the big ones? Also are the reviews saying it is drying accurate?

Re: Pat McGrath Mini Lipsticks?

@ChescaCat  The mini MatteTrance Color Blitz kit uses the same formula as the full size bullets, as far as I can tell. I have several of the full sized ones (including Elson) and that mini set, and the only difference is the bullet size. I travel with my Elson mini instead of the FS, so I’ll be kinda sad when the mini’s all used up. It’s much more convenient to travel with than the bulky FS PMG bullet cases. 

As for drying, you’ll need to see for yourself how the MatteTrance formula feels on your lips. They don’t feel drying to me—and I’m so fussy about that, I can comfortably wear only 4 or 5 liquid matte formulas out of the many I’ve tried. I have to wear lip balm (Aquaphor ointment) under all mattes and most cream satins. If you can afford the PMG mini set, try Elson with and without a base coat of balm and see if it feels drying. 

And I feel you on favorite lipsticks being discontinued. One of my favorite lipstick lines was inexplicably canned this year. Since yours decided to melt (wow, how’s that for perfect timing ☹️), I hope you get to try Elson and fall in love with it! PMG direct has sales once in a while, so you may want to get on their mailing list. 🙂 

Thank you! Is there a specific type of balm or moisturize...

Thank you! Is there a specific type of balm or moisturizer I should use? I have a vaseline one, a burt's bees one, and hyaluronic acid ones. I think I will get the mini set with the VIB sale then sign up for the mailing list on the website. I am hoping it works for me, I adore the look of matte lipsticks.

Re: Thank you! Is there a specific type of balm or moisturize...

@ChescaCat  You can use whichever balm works best to keep your lips moisturized. 🙂 Apply a base coat, let it sit for a minute or two, then blot off the excess before applying lipstick over it. Hope that helps! 

Re: Pat McGrath Mini Lipsticks?

@ChescaCat I purchased the mini set and found Elson to be the best blue-red lipstick I've ever come across.  I recently purchased the full size.  I think buying the mini trio is a good idea to find out what you like.  I really don't like mattes and find the Matte Trance formula is one of the least drying I've encountered.  Honestly, the PMG Elson full size is my favorite lipstick now.

Thank you! All the swatches I have seen online are stunni...

Thank you! All the swatches I have seen online are stunning! I believe that it would be a favourite.

RE: Pat McGrath Mini Lipsticks?

I have them - they are beautiful but are drying. I love the Tarte rainforest lipsticks and Bare Minerals Lipstick - both hydrating and comfortable on the lips with a lot of color payoff. I would check those out for sure. You can also log onto Temptalia.com, type in your favorite product to see if there is a color dupe for it. I use it all the time when products I love get discontinued.

I have been using it, and Elson looks better than other s...

I have been using it, and Elson looks better than other shades in comparison. I am just nervous since it is a lot of money and reviews on if it is drying are mixed.
7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing