Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Long wear red lipstick

I’m a dancer and am in serious need of a long wearing, NOT DRYING, and relatively transfer proof red lipstick. Would be a plus if it was clean beauty, but not a main priority. I have looked on Sephora and Ulta, but many have such mixed or inconsistent reviews. Any advice? For reference I have pale ish skin with a neutral to slightly olive undertone.

Re: Long wear red lipstick

These look gorgeous on you @WinglessOne , truly! 

@WinglessOne bookmarking this as well for the lip prep info.  What do you find lip primers do for you?  Do they make lipstick last longer, do they hydrate, or something else?  I'm unfamiliar with them.

@greeneyedgirl107  I use MAC Prep + Prime Lip for a few different reasons: 

• Prevent dryness - lip primer is an extra buffer between my moisturized lips and a liquid matte. Without primer, my lips will become a desert within the first hour of wearing a liquid matte (Violette_Fr’s is the exception). 
  • Grip & hold lipstick for smoother application & longer wear - especially very emollient ones (solid or liquid) that have streaky application and slide around too much on my lips. Primer helps prevent that. Sometimes I use primer just along the inner edge of both lips to keep certain lipsticks from wearing away too quickly there. 
  • Form a barrier that stops feathering and bleeding - sometimes I just line my lips with MAC Prep + Prime Lip (instead of fully covering my lips with it) and then apply a lipstick that usually feathers/bleeds a lot. I’ll even do this in addition to using lip liner as extra insurance. 

I don’t always use lip primer—for instance, the only time I need it with a cream satin bullet is if that lipstick’s one of my chronic bleeders or too emollient for its own good. I’ve tried several other lip primers over the years and the only one that compared to MAC’s was a super grippy one made by Cargo Cosmetics. If Cargo was still around, I’d buy another tube of that primer to use solely for holding lipstick in place; it wasn’t the best at preventing dryness, but anything I applied over it stayed over it. 😄 Anyway, your results may vary: some folks love Urban Decay Ultimate Ozone Multipurpose Primer Pencil 0.10 oz/ 3 g for instance, but that primer never worked well for me. 

@WinglessOne what excellent info!  Thanks for taking the time for this!  I'll get it...if not this year then 2024!!!  

@l0velybl00m Hello 👋! I find that GXVE BY GWEN STEFANI I’m Still Here Longwear Clean Matte Liquid Lipstick Original Recipe is very long lasting. I like to wear a lopchap underneath. However I have been loving Hourglass Confession™ Ultra Slim High Intensity Refillable Lipstick At Night . It is not completely transfer proof. It is quite long lasting.  Maybe if you have the chance to swatch these shades you can see if you like the formulas? Thanks for the tag @JoSometimes !

Tagging @Sunnysmom for any red lip feedback!

I love your choices @Mellmars1185 ! 🥰 The Hourglass is such a comfy formula . 

@Mellmars1185 omg!  Those hour glass lippies look so pretty.   There seem to be at least 30 shades, and Sephora only has a fraction.   What a shame!  I get so frustrated being limited by small selections.

@greeneyedgirl107Really? I will have to look and see what else is available. This set caught my eye because not only did the red lippie look beautiful but it wad my first time trying a powder product from the line.

@Mellmars1185 when I went thru the pics, there was a grid 6×5 or so showing comparisons of colors.  So helpful.   I was like, "look what we're missing out on!"  So many pretty shades not sold on this site, and definitely not in store.

Hi @l0velybl00m, I’m not much of an expert in this area. Let me tag a few people and hopefully they can chime in. @WinglessOne @Mellmars1185 

51 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 207 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos3
  • 4FFAD59E-AD5C-4FBA-BBC0-353E49AB41FE.jpeg
  • PXL_20231128_121246824.jpg
  • PXL_20231117_120159052.jpg
testing