Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Lip care musts?

I am new to the beauty world and I’m looking for advice on lip care. I have always just been a chapstick junkie but I’m looking to try new things. My lips are super dry and I have always found it hard to wear lipsticks because they look terrible with my peeling lips. Any advice?

Re: Lip care musts?

@Meowtown2020  My daily lip balm is plain ol Aquaphor Ointment. (Not to be confused with Aquaphor’s “lip balm” branded product.) It’s a petrolatum-based product that also contains mineral oil; this makes it a fantastic occlusive moisturizer that beefs up my lips’ skin barrier, promotes healing if my lips are chapped, and seals in moisture. I keep travel tubes of Aquaphor in my purse/bag, plus various places in my home. 

Here’s my entire lip care routine: 

Spoiler

A note about lip scrubs: resist the urge to over-exfoliate your lips to remove all signs of chapping/peeling. The skin on your lips is the thinnest on your whole face. Exfoliating too often can wreck your lips’ natural moisture barrier—just like exfoliating the rest of your face too often can do some damage. I kinda let my lips tell me how often they need scrubbing, but I don’t go longer than 2 weeks without doing it. 

I'm a huge fan of the Mamonde lip mask (available at Ulta). If I recall correctly, it's a pretty close dupe for Laneige, but a little better of a value. I also agree with gently exfoliating your lips once or twice a week. I have tried various sugar scrubs and a couple scrubber tools, but I find a wet washcloth in the shower is the easiest and doesn't require much effort. Even rubbing a towel gently on my lips after my shower can work. 

I really liked Bite's old version of the agave lip mask and haven't tried the new reformulation. However, I have heard from multiple people it really sucks compared to the old version, so be wary. I don't find it as hydrating and reparative as the Mamonde one that is my HG.

Regardless, all the lip balms and masks in the world won't do much if your body itself is dehydrated, so make sure you are consuming enough water daily, too! 

@Meowtown2020 BITE BEAUTY - Agave+ Intensive Vegan Lip Mask

RE: Lip care musts?

I love the Laneige lip glowy balm to keep my lips in good shape throughout the day, or glossier balm dot com, but if my lips are feeling especially dry or peeling, I will make sure to exfoliate and use something more like burts bees

@Meowtown2020 Try exfoliating your lips at least once a week and incorporate a lip balm and lip mask. Here are some I love 

FRESH - Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator

LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original

Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask Original

KOPARI - Coconut Lip Glossy

LANEIGE - Lip Glowy Balm

@Meowtown2020 

My two musts are fresh Sugar Advanced Therapy Treatment Lip Balm Translucent 

and FRESH - Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator

I rub a smidge of Fresh Sugar Face Polish on my lips a couple times a week. It’s not meant for that, but it gently exfoliates and is loaded with hydrating oils. They make lip polish too, but I figure why buy two products if one can multi-task. The sugar dissolves pretty quick and you can wipe the extra oil off with a tissue then apply a bit of balm. Tried the Sephora exfoliating lip balm but it felt like a stick of sand and wax after being spoiled with the scrub. The First Aid Beauty lip balms are good too, doesn’t look like Sephora has the thicker one in the pot... must have gotten it at Ulta. That one is my extreme rescue balm, the one in a tube is my daily hydration balm.

Overnight: LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original

It moisturizes my.lips overnight, leaving them soft the next day. Not: I do not have super chapped lips in the winter. Just regular winter dry lips.

@Meowtown2020 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 24 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing