Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Lip balm that works when nothing else will?

So in the winter, I get very, very dry lips. I've tried a lot of lip balms, and nothing seems to help for more than five minutes. I would love a drugstore/low-priced option, but I'm willing to go high end if it will actually keep my lips moisturized.

I've tried all of the following on recommendations from other people with very dry lips:

• Carmex Original (stick & tube form)
  • Blistex (medicated and non-medicated)
  • Burt's Bees Original (this helped the least out of all of them; I think it actually made my lips drier)
  • NYX #thisiseverything Lip Oil
  • SeneGence/LipSense lip balm
  • Vaseline LipTherapy
  • Sephora Collection Lip Balms
  • Maybelline Baby Lips
  • Bite Agave Lip Mask (I had a bad, blistering reaction immediately after applying this; I'm not sure what ingredient caused it, as I've never had any sort of allergic reaction to a lip product before)

Some of those products (NYX, Carmex, LipSense) worked for a month or so before the effects just kind of wore off. The rest did pretty much nothing; even using them up to once an hour, my lips were still constantly dry, flaking, and peeling (although they rarely full-on crack). I'm hoping someone with a similar problem has found their holy grail and can point me in the direction of it!

Lip balm that works when nothing else will?

Re: Lip balm that works when nothing else will?

Thanks for pointing this out - I went through the ingredients of the products and almost all of them contained tocopheryl acetate. When I looked it up, I found quite a few sources saying it can be an allergen or irritant - I'll look for something without it and see what happens!

@Margalee wrote:
Considering the blistering and the constant peeling of lips and the various products working for a month then dry peeling lips, have you considered this might be an allergic reaction to a common ingredient in those products, like carnuba wax? The switch up in ingredients would fool your system for awhile but then your immune system would catch on and kick in.

It's definitely a good a idea to test for common irritants.  Another idea/question along those lines: you mention lipsense lip balm -- do you also use the lipsense lipstick?  I ask because the #1 ingredient in lipsense lipstick is alcohol, which is really bad for your lips/skin.  If you use lipsense lipstick, I would highly recommend that you stop since that could also be a source of your problems.

@R1l3y I have dry lips during the winter as well and I exfoliate my lips at least once a week with FRESH - Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator and then I apply either LANEIGE - Lip Sleeping Mask or Tatcha The Kissu Lip Mask before I go to bed.  In the daytime I use MAC lip conditioner or Kopari lip balm.

Hi @R1l3y,

I agree with @RebeccaBT, LANEIGE - Lip Sleeping Mask Holiday Editionand FRESH - Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15are great lip products.  I also recommend exfoliating your lips with FRESH - Sugar Lip Polish Exfoliator2-3 times a week.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Steph 

Hey there @R1l3y. I’ve been using Neosporin Overnight Lip Therapy for years now and it does a great job for me. It comes in a little tub and you can get it at most drug stores. It sells for around $6. I live in New England and my lips used to get really chapped in the winter. I put this on every night and I honestly haven’t had any issues since I started using it regularly. It’s creamy, not at all greasy and doesn’t have any funky tastes or flavors. It’s short money to try out!  Good luck!

Hi @R1l3y,

I also suffer from dry lips in the winter. I use the LANEIGE - Lip Sleeping Mask paired with the fresh Sugar Lip Serum Advanced Therapy 0.3 oz/ 10 mLand the FRESH - Sugar Lip Treatment Sunscreen SPF 15 - Sugar. I have found this combination works for my lips. In addition, a couple times a week I use the Too Faced Peach Lip Scrub - Peaches and Cream Collection 0.51 oz/ 14.5 g. Hope this helps!

Best,
Rebecca 

My go tos for intense hydration are by terry baume de rose crystalline (sadly not sold at Sephora) and aerin rose conditioner. Both are pricey but you don’t need to use much, especially with aerin (just a tiny bit).

Some folks like it, some don't, but I love Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve in a Tube Rosebud Salve in a Tube! The original is the best in my opinion, and I prefer the tube rather than the pot, so it's less messy. Especially in the winter, my lips tend to get dried out, but this helps right away for me. I most often use it at night as part of my skincare routine. I'll put on a nice thick layer right before bed to help make my lips softer overnight.

I second this! I'm absolutely in love with it and usually have three tins: one at work, one in my most-used purse, one at home. 

Awww, sorry you have had tough luck!  Especially with the Bite Agave mask. 

Seconding the Rosebud Perfume Co. Rosebud Salve Rosebud Salve I like the tin, just for aesthetics!  Like, I have some old-timey magic in my makeup bag.  (And as I tagged it they have a bunch of tinted/different options?!?)  I also like the salve for my cuticles.  When I'm working, the can get gnarly looking and I just massage it in.  I also use it to tame flyaway hair.

At the pricier end, I also love BKR - Paris Water Balm.  I use it under dark lip colors.  Other times, for lip prep, I use a lip scrub I got from elf, then I wipe it off, and use Laneige. I wipe that off a bit later and put on my lip color.  My lips are usually pretty soft for the rest of the day.

When I'm short on time (and dollars!) I also like Maybelline's baby lips.  It usually stays on until I drink something, there are plain and tinted options, and they feel lighter than a balm.

Also, without getting too off-topic or clinical, make sure you up your water intake.  WInter air can be super drying for some.  Also, sometimes if you get really cracked lips, especially in the corners of your mouth, might be a little low in certain vitamins, so make sure you're eating your whole grains and veggies.

@R1l3yUnidentified

My current holy Grail combo isn't cheap (unfortunately), but like you, I've tried lots over the years, with disappointing results.

First, apply Skyn Iceland Lip Fix ($14). This is a really thick and creamy balm that soaks in instead of just sitting on top of the lips. I'd equate it to a top-notch body butter...phenomenal hydration without being sticky or greasy.

Next, I'm taking basic skincare guidelines to my lips...gotta seal that moisture in so it doesn't evaporate and has a chance to really work: add a coat of Clarins Lip Oil ($26).

Because of the cost, I use this combo only once a day, right before bed, but it minimizes my peeling and flaking throughout the day, and my lips are super soft. Balm throughout the day is still a thing for me, but part of that is a touch of OCD...I have to have a balm handy or I go a little nuts. 

I dunno if you are in the US or Canada, but I have used Ulta lip oil ($9) in the past, and find it to be a pretty decent sub for Clarins. I haven't tested it specifically with this combo yet, but have one lined up for when I finish my open Clarins, and I expect it work just as well.

Sephora Canada carries Skyn Iceland, or it's available at Ulta in the states. I've never found a balm like it, so I don't have any cheaper recommendations for you there.

Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
testing