Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

Hydrating, non matte lipstick?

Hi! I’m on the hunt for a lipstick which is hydrating and not a matte formula! I have a problem with dry lips in general, but particularly with a matte formula that dries out my lips even more! I absolutely loved the color of Bite Beauty’s new matte lip crayon, but ABSOLUTELY did not like the dryness it gave my lips. I added a picture of what the Bite Beauty new matte lip crayon looked like on my lips. Any suggestions?

RE: Hydrating, non matte lipstick?

@Linz45 Kylie cosmetics velvet lip kits are great! Very soft, comfortable for all-day wear

Re: Hydrating, non matte lipstick?

@Linz45  I also have dry lips, which is why the bulk of my lipstick hoard is satin/cream formulas instead of mattes. So I rely on pre-lipstick lip care for hydration. Just as you wouldn’t (or shouldn’t) depend solely on, say, a “hydrating” foundation to hydrate skin on your face, don’t rely on a “hydrating” lipstick to hydrate your lips. During my morning skincare routine, I apply a lip serum (I use Glossier Bubblewrap for this), let it sink into my lips as I continue with other AM skincare steps, then tap a little water on my lips—just enough to dampen the skin—and apply my lip balm (for me, that’s plain ol’ Aquaphor Ointment). A few minutes later, I dab my lips with a cloth, tissue, or my hand to remove any excess balm before applying lipstick. This routine preps my lips with hydration and moisturization before I apply any lipstick. 

A “hydrating” lipstick should contain actual hydrator ingredients. By contrast, most non-matte lipsticks are moisturizing/emollient: their ingredients prevent moisture loss. I can’t recommend many truly hydrating lipsticks because honestly, I haven’t come across many that live up to their claims. But I can recommend some very moisturizing ones: 

MAC Love Me Lipstick is a line of nicely emollient bullets. 

GUERLAIN - Rouge G Customizable Lipstick (the cream formulas) are wonderfully emollient. I own and love several. You don’t really need to buy the customized case; I have one and rarely use it because it’s so bulky. 😄 I just keep the black plastic caps on each bullet. I don’t need to wear Aquaphor under these. 

NARS Audacious Lipstick (Sephora sells a few of the shades but I can’t tag them) are a nice comfy option. 

Most Lipstick Queen bullets and click sticks are emollient and super comfy to wear.

PAT McGRATH LABS Lip Fetish Noir Lip Balm Astral Blue Star (the non-sparkly ones) are quite pigmented on my lips for tinted balms. They’re comfy enough that I don’t need to wear Aquaphor under them. 

@Linz45 I definitely recommend the BECCA - Ultimate Lipstick Love because it IS a hydrating, creamy formula and there are a lot of really great shades.  Bonus: they don't have that plastic-y lipstick smell/taste.

Hi @Linz45,

I also love hydrating, non-matte lipstick formulas. Lately I have been loving the bareMinerals Mineralist Hydra-Smoothing Lipstick Grace. It's very hydrating and comfortable on the lips.

Best regards,

Laurie 🙂

Hi @Linz45 

I am a big fan of Charlotte Tilbury's lipstick line. I suffer from very dry lips as well and never had issues with this line - I love the shade *itch Perfect.CHARLOTTE TILBURY - K.I.S.S.I.N.G Lipstick - Hepburn Honey

I am also a fan of the DIOR - Dior Lip Glow - 001 Pink Glow - it's a lip balm that leaves a beautiful shade of pink on the lips. I pair it with a lip liner for a more defined look.

Hope this helps!

Hi @Linz45 

You can try a lipstick with hydrating ingredients such as DIOR - Rouge Dior Ultra Care Lipstick - 750 Blossom

@GG84 oooh, I haven't tried those before. I love their lip glow and think I might like these as well. Thanks for sharing!

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
Photos1
testing