Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers
|

HOW DO YOU PREP LIPS AND MAINTAIN YOUR LIQUID LIPSTICKs?

GIVE ME YOUR BEST TIPS PLEASE!!

How do you prep your lips and with what product?

Whats your favorite lip primer?

How do you keep those lips looking on fleek when its time for a touch up?

Re: HOW DO YOU PREP LIPS AND MAINTAIN YOUR LIQUID LIPSTICKs?

Hi! 

I used to work at MAC andI used to get this question allllllllllll the time.

My tips for long lasting liquid lip wear are:

Always exfoliate. Liquid lipstick tends to hold onto ridges and lines on the lips. Removing these with an exfoliant gives you a nice smooth base to work with - you don't necessarily have to buy one; coconut oil and sugar works great. Next is moisturise, any lip balm is fine, but make sure you use a light hand, and give it some time to sink in. After moisturising, we have lip primer. Everyone has an opinion on lip primer whether they think its a necessity or useless - I think for liquid lips its definitely a necessity. My fave lip primers are MAC, ABH, and NYX, in that order. Press your lips together for about 10 seconds to allow the product to become tacky. Next lip liner, my all time favourite lip liners are the MAC prolongwear lip liners, and Marc Jacobs Poutliner. Highly recommend both. Fill in the whole lip, the outline, or just the corners - entirely your preference. Next apply your liquid lip as you please. Try to not roll your lips together as this can affect the staying power. Just press them together once or twice and apply more as needed. 

Just to add, when it comes to touch ups it definitely depends on the situation. 

If you just need a mild spot touch up during the day, apply as needed. If you're trying to touch up after a meal, stop. Go to the bathroom, wipe it off completely (I keep small makeup wipes in my bag JUST for this.) Reapply lip balm, liner and lipstick. Applying a fresh coat on top of an old coat thats been wearing for some hours will just make your lips dry and add texture. Better to just start fresh. You'll see a difference. 

Hope this helps! 

RE: Re: HOW DO YOU PREP LIPS AND MAINTAIN YOUR LIQUID LIPSTICKs?

Thank you for the process I can identify a few things effecting my longevity of the lip product! I also appreciate the much needed touch tip. Thank you!

HOW DO YOU PREP LIPS AND MAINTAIN YOUR LIQUID LIPSTICKs?

I apply Rosebud lip salve, take a shower, and once I get out I rub my lips with a damp towel. I then reapply the Rosebud salve. The salve and the humidity from the shower deeply hydrate my lips and the towel to exfoliates them and gently takes off the excess dead skin. I use the salve afterwards to protect and keep my lips hydrated. If my lips seem beyond repair, I do the same process, but I apply Laneige sleeping mask instead of the salve for the final step.

I use Glamglow POUTMUD Fizzy Lip Exfloliant Treatment three nights a week. My favorite lip primer (at least for now) is NYX lip primer. Most of my liquid lipsticks require no touch ups unless I eat something greasy, so I carry them just in case. The only liquid lipstick that I haven’t figured out yet is Fenty Beauty by Rihanna. It takes a while to dry down so it takes forever for me to kiss my fiancé without transfer. I don’t have that problem with other liquid lipsticks. 

Thanks will check out the NYX!

@CURLYGIRLWA I use liquid lipsticks everyday so I have a pretty good hydrating routine down to help with keeping my lips looking great all day!

I technically start at night with LANEIGE Lip Sleeping Mask Intense Hydration with Vitamin C Original every night to help keep my lips smooth all night and into the morning. I then use a lip mask, the one I use is called Kaplan MD Lip Mask and is not sold here anymore but can be found online. I let the mask sit for about 15 minutes and then wipe it off. After the mask is off, I follow up with a primer Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Primer 0.16 oz and top it off with Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme Hydrating Lip Plumper Original Clear. Once the gloss has dried completely, I then put on my liquid lipstick. I've been doing this routine for such a long time and works everytime so I hope some of the products work for you!

Thank you I will definitely check out your product recommendations. I do love the Anastacia lip primer. My other question is how do you touch up? When it’s time for me re-apply my lips are completely dried out and cracked all over again.

Re: RE: Re: HOW DO YOU PREP LIPS AND MAINTAIN YOUR LIQUID LIPSTICKs?

I start over again, taking it off and using Drunk Elephant’s Lippe Balm to moisten my lips. Then I put the liquid lip back on again. I love liquid lips because of their staying power, but when I eat anything greasy it’s gone so I might as well retouch. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing