Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Lip Lovers

First time lipstick

Hi Everyone 

I have full and defined lips💋, I don't ever apply anything because it always looks over the top. I want to try lipstick where would I start ?? 

Re: First time lipstick

@lenofnyc I have full lips too! I just embrace it and wear all the colours haha 🤣  but if you want to start with a more subtle look, I'd suggest using a lip tint or lip stain and placing it on the center of the lip and blending outward with your ring finger or lip brush to create a gradient lip. It's that k-beauty, just-bitten sort of lip that concentrates on the center so that the perimeter isn't really filled in (hence reducing the fullness of the lip). Hope that helps!

Some lip tints I like include:

Benefit Cosmetics Chachatint Cheek & Lip Stain Cha Cha Tint 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Jelly Melt Glossy Lip Tint 

Hi @lenofnyc ! Have you ever tried a tinted balm or lip oil? Those are good options for a sheer wash of color, and some balms and lip oils are buildable to demi-sheer or medium coverage. 

My favorite tinted balms, PAT McGRATH LABS Lip Fetish Sheer Colour Balm Flesh 3, aren't sheer on my lips (on me, the Lip Fetish balms are very pigmented), but some folks do get sheer coverage from them. A less expensive option (and on sale right now) is fresh Sugar Lip Balm Sunscreen SPF 15 . Cheaper still are SEPHORA COLLECTION #LIPSTORIES Lip Balm and SEPHORA COLLECTION Melting Lip Clicks Lip Balm . Or consider ILIA Balmy Tint Hydrating Lip Balm or ILIA Balmy Gloss Tinted Lip Oil Only You , There are plenty of other options to choose from at various price points. 

Or, you can apply any lipstick and then blot your lips on a tissue or the back of your hand to sheer out the color. 

If you're wondering what color to start with, well... that depends on your personal preference. 🙂 Neutral pinks, rosewood, and berries are the usual "can't go wrong" universal shades. "True/classic red" and various browns are solid neutrals. But then, some of us are completely comfy wearing lipsticks in shades of orange, purple, black, blue, or green, so... whatever shade grabs your attention is the one to try. 

I've already tagged some Sephora Lipstories products, but if you're up for trying a lipstick instead of a tinted balm, SEPHORA COLLECTION #LIPSTORIES Lipstick are a good way to experiment with various colors without spending a ton of money. 

@lenofnyc You may wish to try a nude shade at first, like Urban Decay Vice Hydrating Lipstick in Naked.  Good luck!  🙂

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing